TheEAR...more subwoofer recommendations...

jt1stcav

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have the EAR's knowledge but.......... If you like the sub, that's the most important thing. You did ask for opinions however (although not mine specifically)! Let me pre-empt my comments by stating that I haven't had the pleasure of hearing that particular sub. The 20-150 Hz +/- 3dB doesn't look that impressive untill you consider the fact that they do it with 3 8" drivers. It should sound nice for music but may not be the ultimate sub for HT. It should have a high WAF as it's a nice looking unit.

I don't have the EAR's knowledge but.......... If you like the sub, that's the most important thing. You did ask for opinions however (although not mine specifically)! Let me pre-empt my comments by stating that I haven't had the pleasure of hearing that particular sub. The 20-150 Hz +/- 3dB doesn't look that impressive untill you consider the fact that they do it with 3 8" drivers. It should sound nice for music but may not be the ultimate sub for HT. It should have a high WAF as it's a nice looking unit.

Yeah, I'm happy with it, I know I could have done better for the money, but it does sound good. It will rattle stuff off the end table. Not as loud as it could be I guess. thanx for the opinion.

The Martin Logan Depth is a great "refined" subwoofer,in an age of high SPL subs and when most people value WHAM BAM reviews with BOLD SPL superlatives the Depth is a superb music sub.

And for HT it will do more than well.Again who needs huis wall to crack of high SPL? Most people listen at moderate levels most of the time,and the Depth is capable of quite a bit more than moderate.Its is a very fine subwoofer.

I consider Martin Logan subs to be for the customer who values quality over quantity.Alot like the Velodune HGS/DD series,refinement before deaf SPL. [:D]

You think you're wealthy now, Arthur. But imagine if you charged each member 5 cents for your subwoofer advice, especially since you became an authority that others look up to...you'd be richer beyond your wildest dreams![ip]

Well, Arthur...this was a total surprise:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-632

Unbeknownst to me, my younger brother took it upon himself to order this $99 Dayton Audio DLS 10" powered sub a couple days ago. It arrived via FedEx yesterday and is connected to my system as I write this (listening to a Gothic release of Frederick Swann playing the Riverside organ). Sure, it's no Sunfire, REL, Velodyne, SVS, or Hsu...hell, it's not even close to the famous Dayton Audio Titanics! But it IS what I was looking for spec-wise within my meager budget...no higher than 25Hz, at least 100 watts, all the usual controls, plus the RCA line-level inputs/outputs for hookup to my amp and preamp. I was looking to spend more; maybe the phrase "You get what you pay for" doesn't always apply.

Beggers can't be choosers, and I'm not one to kick a gift horse in the mouth! My bro did this out of the kindness of his heart (awww) so I wouldn't be subless any longer, and once it was placed and set up properly, it sounds pretty damn good! Crossover's set at 80Hz, phase is set, level's adjusted so it's not overbearing or boomy, and it actually blends well with my Loth-X monitors! Attack is crisp, there's no bloat or smear of the individual notes, and it doesn't bring attention onto itself...you only hear it when it's needed. All in all, a best buy for small rooms, even at it's MSRP of $220!

Well, Arthur...this was a total surprise:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-632

Unbeknownst to me, my younger brother took it upon himself to order this $99 Dayton Audio DLS 10" powered sub a couple days ago. It arrived via FedEx yesterday and is connected to my system as I write this (listening to a Gothic release of Frederick Swann playing the Riverside organ). Sure, it's no Sunfire, REL, Velodyne, SVS, or Hsu...hell, it's not even close to the famous Dayton Audio Titanics! But it IS what I was looking for spec-wise within my meager budget...no higher than 25Hz, at least 100 watts, all the usual controls, plus the RCA line-level inputs/outputs for hookup to my amp and preamp. I was looking to spend more; maybe the phrase "You get what you pay for" doesn't always apply.

Beggers can't be choosers, and I'm not one to kick a gift horse in the mouth! My bro did this out of the kindness of his heart (awww) so I wouldn't be subless any longer, and once it was placed and set up properly, it sounds pretty damn good! Crossover's set at 80Hz, phase is set, level's adjusted so it's not overbearing or boomy, and it actually blends well with my Loth-X monitors! Attack is crisp, there's no bloat or smear of the individual notes, and it doesn't bring attention onto itself...you only hear it when it's needed. All in all, a best buy for small rooms, even at it's MSRP of $220!

Jim,

Attack is ...crisp. [:@] I HATE when anyone refers to anything audio describing ...sound as crisp.

Attack can be fast and immediate,crisp...fried food can be crisp.

Bloat and smear now these are Stereophile fished classics [:P]

I would describe my best subwoofer as being fast,controlled,clean,powerful.But never crisp,crisp sound belongs to HTiB $99 systems playing first generation CD's and badly mastered crap a ton records. [:D]

Well Arthur, since it is on sale for only $99, maybe "crisp" is a good word to describe it afterall.[:o]

You're right...bad word choice. Attack is "precise", how's that? LOL!

You must be laughing your head off...here I am describing a cheap sub like it was a REL or a Sunfire. But actually for a very inexpensive subwoofer, it has gotten great reviews since its inception several years ago and still continues to do so. That must matter for something, I reckon.

As my dad always says, "If you're happy, then I'm happy", meaning he could really care less but he's fine with it if it floats your boat.

Sorry if I disappoint you by owning a very inexpensive sub, but it'll do for now (it'll have to until I can save up for a real subwoofer...money doesn't grow on trees at my house, dammit)![:(]

Ear , I am looking at the Velodyne HGS 15 and 18 . My room is 16 x 20 , carpet over slab , walls are just painted cinder block . I presently have 3 Belles front and 2 Heresys rear . Very possible that I will have Belles in the rear next week also . My question is this will 1 of the Velodynes be sufficient , or will I need 2 to keep up with 5 Belles ? Thanks , Willy P.

One HGS18 will be A ok as long as you do not demand high SPL pipe organ reproduction. One HGS15 will be on the lean side,I would go for a HGS18 and not even consider the HGS15.

Also it depends what material you listen to and if you have atendency to blast the system.A single HGS18 is a monster to 30Hz and from then down it falls off.I would say it is very capable to 25Hz,with output to 16Hz(gets weak this low).

The HGS/DD series are the cleanest subs you can buy,ni boom,just clean deep bass.For music these are among the very finest.For HT you can find better deals.

Greg,

No I have not heard that very setup but...I have heard the self powered BagEnd 18/w ELF bass EQ built in.Sounds great,the major downside was output compared to the Velodyne HGS18.And yes the ELF system works,as the heavy boost at freq. below the cone resonance(around 60Hz)gives output to below 10Hz.The output is so weak below 20Hz it is only good for low volume listening(if you want a flat response across the board).

Two would add around 6dB,again if it is above 20Hz should be plenty.Listen first,what is plenty for another listener may be too little for you.

Thanks Ear,

I have read some reviews and they claim to be very musical ie fast and detailed.Sounds like a good match for the La Scala bass signature.I would hope that 2 of these in the corners behind my LS would keep up.I have researched the product at thier website and am intrigued by the approach to bass reproduction.They are rated at 96db/1watt/1mtr and claim to be down 6 db at 95hz,the integrater or x-over control has a gain control of -10 to+10.Every review claims good blending with high freq transducers and quality over quantity presentation...2 of these in corners should make up for the quantity aspect.

Thanks again for your wisdom,Greg

Greg,

Dual subs in corners will be plenty.I used,experimented with even subs as tiny as the Velo SPL800 in corner placement and it would keep up with RF7's up to a point where any louder is simply not healthy.

These days all the common buyer sees is dB's LOTS of dB's,honestly I use maybe,maybe 20% of my subs capabilities on peaks.