Several days of good friends, music and gear!

boomac

Preparation for the up-coming weekend started Tuesday evening when John Malotky came over to help hook up the McIntosh gear. That system is for the Forte IIs in the family room and the remote in-wall speakers in a couple other rooms. We got everything put together only to find that the MC2155 was only producing power through one channel. This, even though the meters indicated power and perfect two channel sound came through the headphones. John figured a wire was probably loose and I bet that is exactly what was wrong. We packed the Mac up to be sent back for service.

On Wednesday, my new VRDs arrived from Craig, (of NosValves fame). I stacked the boxes downstairs next to the new pair of Deans Crossovers that were waiting to be installed in the 83 Cornwalls. I then disconnected the Scott 299 and placed it upstairs to run that system. It performed perfectly after Craig helped me with a minor biasing problem that I had created for myself!

Thursday afternoon I stopped at the local Hi Fi Shoppe and picked up a demo Balanced Audio Technologies VK-3ix Preamp. The new VK-3ix I ordered, with the optional phono stage, was a couple of weeks away from being completed. It was actually an advantage to have the demo because it, at least, had a few hours on it. I then went to the airport to pick up Mr. Jazz himself, Allan Songer.

Allans plane was on time and moments later we were on our way to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Wauwatosa for a Balistreri's Italian-American Ristorante thin crust pizza and some Leinenkugels Honey Weiss. Great fun!

We werent back to my place for five minutes when Craig called to see if we had opened up the VRDs. He was surprised that I hadnt but I explained that I was waiting for Allan.

Once downstairs, it only took Allan a minute to open and set up the new amps. They looked great. We initially tried them with the Mac C29 preamp and the sound was impressive. Allan and I agreed that the new amps were really good and would make a big difference in my system.

After breakfast on Friday we listened to some Von Freeman and a few other jazz CDs and LPs. Before we knew it was time to head back to the airport to pick up the G Man, Gary Powers. Again, North West Airlines was on time and with the G Man aboard we headed back out west. Gary asked about a special hamburger that he had heard about and when he said Butter Burger, I immediately headed for the local Culvers Family Restaurant for a Butter Burger Deluxe. Again, great fun.

After lunch we went back to the boomac house and spent several hours downstairs with the VRDs. We listened for a bit then put the new crossovers in the Cornwalls. Thanks Allan! We all felt like there was instant improvement. Perhaps a little brighter but the clarity and the bass response were much improved. We then put the Vk-3ix into the mix. Initially, we felt that the C29 held its own against the newer and more expensive BAT but as we listened further, the sound continued to improve. Allan said that I now had a bitchin set-up and Garys nod and smile put me into HI Fi Heaven. When those guys talk, I tend to listen! Many thanks to Craig, Dean, Allan and Gary.

The only bummer was the performance of my Project 2.1 Turntable. Gary expressed that my CD player, (A Sony SCD 222 ES) sounded much better than the phono and both Allan and I agreed. The good news is that the Well Tempered Turntable that Allan got for me will be ready to go within a few weeks and the vinyl problem should be solved. There was no time to set up the Eastern Electric Mini Max CD Player but I will look forward to that sometime this week.

After dinner, we took off for the four mile trip over to John Malotkys. John, along with Damonpayne and RFinko form the Forum, greeted us. We then had the opportunity to preview Johns K-horn and McIntosh based HT. I knew what to expect and I think both Allan and Gary were very impressed with the room. We watched several DVD Music Videos and a couple great sounding movie excerpts. Everybody should have a system like Johns!

Saturday morning, we shot some pool and listened to the new VRDs, BAT Preamp and modified Cornwalls. The sound seemed to get better and better with each CD and it was great fun listening to jazz and shooting pool with such good friends.

Mid afternoon, we all jumped into the Yukon and headed south to the home of Artto, another Klipsch Forum Member, and his unique listing chamber. Art was kind enough to stop his remodeling, warm up the trio of Luxman amps and prepare the room for our visit. Gary brought several great sounding LPs and we listened to them, a few of Allans jazz CDs and a couple of Arts selections. It is always great to visit with Art and experience his fantastic listening room, the K-horns, Belle and Luxman Amps.

About 5:30PM, the four of us headed Down Town Chicago for what turned out to be a fantastic experience. Something that Allan had wanted to do for many years was to see Chicagos Von Freeman perform. His wishes were about to become a reality. Our dinner reservations were for 7:30 at Andy's Jazz Club, on Hubbard. We just made it in time and were seated center stage, one row back from the platform. A dandy jazz quartet was playin and we were treated to some excellent music. The band featured piano, bass, an alto sax player form Japan and an excellent left handed traditional grip drummer that played on a right handed kit. The guy could flat out play! About 9:30, the great Von Freeman came on stage with a 90 year old piano player and two young guys on bass and drums. I made the comment that the drummer didnt look like a drummer to me but I couldnt have been more wrong. What a great group and for three sets we were treated to some absolutely great jazz. On his first solo, the drummer had my mouth wide open in disbelief and each of his solos, thereafter, continued to impress. The guys will probably speak better for the other players but LORDY! I really liked that drummer and overall, I had an extremely enjoyable time.

After a wrong turn and some driving around, (my screw up) we found the Edens Expressway and headed north for Wisconsin. We were tired, punch drunk I guess you could say, and laughed most of the way back. After a quick stop at the McDonalds Oasis, Gary took a brief nap and Allan I talked about what a national treasure a guy like Von Freeman is. The guy is 83 years old and he plays the "tenor sax" like a kid.

We arrived at my place about 4:30AM, slept for a couple hours and bounced back up for the trip to Mitchell Field and the awaiting North West Flights. Allan left at 9:30AM, Gary at 10:15AM. It was a long 35 minute ride back home but I made the drive thinking about the great friends and entertainment that I had experienced over the past 4 to 5 days.

It was as good a weekend as Ive experienced in many years. Thanks to jmalotky, artto, garymd, Allan Songer and the Klipsch Forum for a great memory. Thanks to Gary and Allan for the nice gifts of music that I'm certain to enjoy for many years.

Sometime later Ill address the new gear in more detail but for now; suffice to say that Craigs VRDs and Deans Crossovers will play an important roll in my systems musicality. I think they know what the heck theyre doin and I recommend their stuff without reservation.

boomac

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for everything. Scott. I had a ball hanging with you and your wonderful wife and kids--so gracious and welcoming. Great to see Gary again and Art is a helluva nice guy who has worked harder on his listening room than anyone I have ever met and he's always looking to make it better. The Home Theater at John's was indeed impressive, but since I have never really experienced a Home Theater on this scale before I am NOT qualified to comment!

And hearing Von Freeman live was a dream come true--for about 12 years I've been meaning to make this journey and it was everything I hoped it would be. The opening solo rendition of Stella by Starlight (the theme wasn't even stated other than one passing trransitory quote in the middle of an incredilbly complex and harmonically chanllenging solo. There is NOBODY that plays like Von Freeman--he is truly a unique voice and a marvel at 83. He told me between sets he is reconding a new album in November. I an hardly wait!

I'm beat--off to bed.

Flynn,

This all started as a trip down to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Chicago to see Von Freeman. Allan has wanted to see Von for years and said that he would fly in if Id go down there with him. Being the great jazz enthusiast that he is, Gary decided to join us. Now, since Allan and Gary were coming to town, I decided to move forward and have Craig build a pair of VRDs for me. He went out of his way to accommodate the time frame and the new amps arrived just in time. I already had a pair of Deans crossovers but simply waited for Allan to arrive and help put them in. Of course, Allan did more than help!

Anyway, sometime next spring, John Malotky and I would like to host a Klipsch Forum get together and of course, all will be invited. In the mean time, you are certainly welcome to stop by. Shoot me an e-mail and well set aside some time. Maybe you and Craig could drive over together. My wife was impressed with Gary and Allan to the extent that she would not hesitate to have further Forum based company. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It was great to see Gary again, and to finally meet Allan.

Reading your post makes me realize how many good friends I have made on this Forum over the last few years.

We really should find more reasons to get together[:)]

I wish I would have had more time to spend with you guys. That

huge 6 hour test I took today in Chicago has taken all of my free time

over the last month or so.

When we were talking about the BAT on Tuesday night, I did not realize

you had one in route. I'll have to come over and hear the BAT VRD

combo.

Ryan, if you read this, I was glad you were able to bring over your

friend who is shipping off to Iraq this comming Monday. Hopefully

he will stay safe and come back home soon.

JM

Scott,

Great sum up of your fun weekend. I know Gary very well and although I have never met Allan in person have talked with him extensively on the phone I'm sure he is a joy to hang out with. I met Gary for is lay over in Detroit and even though he looked exhausted I could see from a gleam in his eye and cheerful comments he had a great time. I bet he is still sleeping........

Craig

Im really glad you guys were able to stop over and we could spend some time together listening to both recorded and live music, in this case, even of the same artist. I must admit Im truly embarrassed that while being familiar with Chico Freeman, I wasnt even aware of Von Freeman (Chicos father), especially considering hes a fellow Chicago native, until I encountered Allan Songers unbridled enthusiasm for him on the Forum. But hey, its a big city, right? (LOL) And honestly, Allan is the Jazz guru, most of my professional gigs have been in the rock and blues arena. But still, Im surprised (ashamed actually) at myself for not being more aware of this somewhat reclusive musical genius, in my own backyard, my entire life!!! Thank you Allan!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

One of the things I really liked about hearing Von at Andys is we were so close, only a small table for two in front of us. We were only maybe 10 ten feet or less from the stage, right on center. Von and the drummer were not amplified, the bass player had only a small Walter Woods bass amp with minimal amplification for his double bass and the piano also only had a slight amplification boost through the two large EV speakers during solos. But we were much closer to the actual instruments, so it was, for the most part, as if it were not amplified.

Scott is absolutely correct about the drummer. He was amazing that night. At one point during one of his solos Scott turned to me and said Have you ever seen anyone do that before? I laughed and said Hell NO! And at another point, Von and the band had gone so over the top, I turned around and looked at Allan in amazement, Allan had the same look on his face, and we both simultaneously exclaimed (a prominent four letter word that starts with the sixth letter of the alphabet) _________!!!!!!!!! At the Chicago Jazz Fest last month it was the bass players solos that stood out (except for Von of course). Von is a riot to watch on stage. A very funny guy, certainly very vocal about telling his band members what he wants and when he wants it. He even reprimanded (tongue in cheek) some members of the audience for the way they requested a song request just before they went on break. LMFAO

At any rate I had a great time. Thanks Scott, Gary and Allan for a great afternoon and evening of good food, great friends and absolutely incredible music.

I'm still alive......................barely.

As expected, I'm sick as a dog. On the plane ride in, I sat next to a guy who coughed and sneezed his way to Milwaukee. Combined with less than 8 hours of sleep in 3 days, my body had no resistence to fight. During the show Saturday, I told Allan I knew I'd get sick but I didn't care. It was more then worth it.

First of all, a HUGE thanks to Scott, Susan, Jenna and Kyle for being such gracious hosts. We took over the kids bedrooms, were fed like kings and stole their husband and father for 3 days. You have a wonderful family Scott.

There's not much more I can say about the weekend that hasn't been mentioned. John Malotky's HT room is absolutely amazing. I've seen a few really nice HTs but John's tops the list so far. It was also great seeing John and Damon again. Thanks again for having us over.

When we left for Chicago to visit Artto, I had no idea he'd be accompanying us to the show. His system was everything I'd heard it to be and more. The Harry James LP and Mickey Hart drum solo were just amazing. Art is a great guy and a lot of fun. I'm really glad he joined us for the evening. Not to mention, I doubt we'd have found the place without him![:o] We had a blast at the show and I laughed more that night then I have in years.

Von was WAY better then I expected. This guy just turned 83 and he absolutely SMOKES!!! While his 90 year old piano player seemed to lose it on occasion, he always seemed to be there when it counted. A Night In Tunesia and Lester Leaps In were the highlights of the show for me.

On about an hour of sleep, we headed for the airport and during my stop in Detroit, I had just enough time to let Craig buy me lunch.[;)] Thanks buddy!

Well, I think it's nap time. It took everything out of me to write this. Thanks again guys for a great weekend. Can't wait for the next one!

- Gary

P.S. Scott's new system ROCKS!!! Kudos to Craig and Dean.

A good place to start your Von Freeman album collection is with the 2003 release "The Improvisor" on Premonition records:

B00006GA5C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The cuts from this album are taken from three sessions. The first cut is a solo rendition of "If I Should Lose You" recorded live in a concert (as opposed to club) setting--dead quiet appreciative audience, etc. Von's playing will tear your heart out. Of all the "solo" jazz saxophone performances I have heard both live and on record, Von Freeman is second to NONE--an this includes Sonny Rollins, Art Pepper and others. His timing is unreal and his tone is HUGE at times and then soft, breathy and lyrical and BOOM! he's completely "outside" yet still on top--freaking AMAZING.

Following the opening cut are four tunes recorded live with Von's regular Tuesday night quartet at the "New Apartment Lounge" on Chicago's south side--a regular gig Von's been making for almost 25 years. The quartet includes Michael Raynor, the drummer that Scott and Art were talking about. Also on hand are guitarist Mike Allemana and bassist Jack Zara. This group plays with the authority of havig played HUNDREDS of gigs together. The first cut is a smoking bebop workout called "Ski-Wee," a Von Freeman original and is followed by three "standards," "What is This Thing Called Love," "Darn That Dream" and a languid yet absolutely BURNING version of Kenny Dorham's "Blue Bossa" where Von takes TWO extended solos that are mind-boggling.

The second to the last cut on the album finds Von in a different quartet setting with Jason Moran on piano, Nasheed Waits on drums and Mark Helis on bass, a blues called "Blues for Billie," another original Von Freeman composition. The final track is a duet featuring Moran and Von on "I Like the Sunrise."

This CD is still in print and available--amazingly you can even order it from Wal*Mart!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=1947257&sourceid=0100000012231186002498

Von was really touched that a couple guys came from so far away to see him. Allan and I (mostly Allan) chatted with him for a while between sets.

One of the funnier moments was when he Von gave Allan the typical blank stare of an 83 year old when someone tries to explain how to hook up a DVD player so he could play a couple DVDs from a church function that were just given to him.

Von - "I don't have one of those damn players."

Allan - "It's real easy. Just hook up 2 little wires to the back of you TV."

Von - "Blank Stare"

Me - LMAO!

Allan later on - "Damn. I'd like to have those DVDs!"

Guy, if you're still in New York by the end of next month you'll have the rare opportunity to hear Von Freeman outside of Chicago! He'll be playing with
Eric Alexander at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola at Lincoln Center. I am seriously thinking about blowing in from LA on the 25th for a couple of days if I can swing a cheap flight/room. Gary said he'd come up from MD if I made it.

Tue-Sun, Nov 22-27
"Blowin' in from Chicago"
Eric Alexander Quintet with Von Freeman
Featuring Eric Alexander and Von Freeman, tenor saxophones; Harold Mabern, piano; John Webber, bass; Joe Farnsworth, drums.

reservation.gif

Allan,

Unfortunately, I won't be here by then but I do plan to go and listen to

Tue-Sun, Oct 11-16
Manhattan Trinity
Featuring Cyrus Chestnut (piano), Lewis Nash (drums), George Mraz (bass).

Tue-Sun, Oct 18-23
George Cables Project
Featuring George Cables (piano), Gary Bartz (alto saxophone), Eric Revis (bass), Jeff Tain Watts (drums).

I'd be there too if I lived in NYC! Cyrus Chestnut is one of my favorite piano players and I'vd admired Cables for 30 years! Talk about an all-star quartet!

L.A. has a great local jazz scene to be sure, but everywhere on earth pales when compared with NYC. I remember a few years back trying to decide who to go hear one night and having to choose among Steve Lacy/Roswell Rudd, Jackie McLean or Lonnie Smith. We ended up catching Jackie's first set at the Blue Note and then hustling uptown to hear Lonnie Smith at Smoke. WHAT A CITY!!

Love your avatar Guy! Not my all time favorite LP but cut one, "Stolen Moments", is as good as it gets.

Allan - if I can swing Thanksgiving back in Bucks County, I might be able to make it up to The City and if the G-Man & spouse want to drive up to Chalfont, they can come with![H]