Yet another Dynaco Mk III variation - tempting at $1K!

codhead

I knew I would be in here some place ........... This is just to funny.

godfather.jpg

Forums often contain one or more unacknowledged sub-societies, but everyone except the most clueless know that these groups exist and constantly feel their influence. Such alliances congeal because of similarities in ideas and attitudes, or for the desire for power and influence within the forum. Since human beings are hierarchical creatures each of these these little mafias always have a Godfather who is surrounded by a cadre of loyal henchmen. Unlike Rebel Leader, Issues, Furious Typer and other noisy Warriors, Godfather only occasionally deigns to enter into discussions, but when he does everyone listens to him respectfully and his pronouncements have an air of finality. Though Godfather himself never engages in battle, it is commonly understood that his utterances should not be challenged, and when an unsuspecting Newbie or ambitious wannabe mounts a challenge to his authority Godfathers henchmen viciously silence or drive away the attacker.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly maybe ???

royals.jpg

Whether through virtue, contributions, force of personality or sheer longevity certain forum participants will rise to form an aristocracy. While it is generally taboo to openly acknowledge the class distinctions, the hierarchy is well understood by all. While for the most part the Royals rule with magnanimity, they will not tolerate impertinence from the hoi polloi. It is their habit to remain aloof from petty squabbles among their subjects, but when full-scale war breaks out their intervention can be decisive.

Nope...

This one?

troglodyte.jpg

Troglodyte His aggressive posturing often frightens off weaker, more timid Warriors. In pitched battle, however, Troglodyte easily loses control and his attack quickly degenerates into a rant. Just for the fun of it, Weenie, Issues. Pinko and Evil Clown will sometimes deliberately goad him into a towering rage.

Nope...

This one?

troglodyte.jpg

Troglodyte His aggressive posturing often frightens off weaker, more timid Warriors. In pitched battle, however, Troglodyte easily loses control and his attack quickly degenerates into a rant. Just for the fun of it, Weenie, Issues. Pinko and Evil Clown will sometimes deliberately goad him into a towering rage.

Naa not even close. I never lose.

Julie:

Amp building can be lots of fun, and it's not nearly so hard as it's often made out to be. You can learn to solder in a couple of hours (my mom knows how, and built her own radio from a kit when I was a kid), and if you can read a map and understand map legends, that's exactly what a schematic is. I learned to solder when I was very little, and you would not have a problem at all if you're really interested!

Audio electronics is often made out to be something very serious and unapproachable, which is a perception often cultivated for other reasons.

There are some very reasonably priced kits for beginning builders, and it is lots of fun to listen to something you made yourself. It's one of the things I love about this hobby.

Erik

Jeff:

That was a nice way to add some color to this otherwise rather achromatic thread. If you would also like to provide an textual account of the point you were trying to make concerning the teacher/student dynamic in your classes -- as it relates the point of subjectivity in music playback and reproduction at home -- that might be helpful here as well.

Thanks,

Erik

Jeff:

That was a nice way to add some color to this otherwise rather achromatic thread. If you would also like to provide an textual account of the point you were trying to make concerning the teacher/student dynamic in your classes -- as it relates the point of subjectivity in music playback and reproduction at home -- that might be helpful here as well.

Thanks,

Erik

Jeff,

I think you stumped old Erik [;)]

Erik you really need to lighten up. This is audio your not teaching a classroom full of kids.

Craig

Jeff:

Thanks,

Erik

weary2.jpg

Julie:

Amp building can be lots of fun, and it's not nearly so hard as it's often made out to be. You can learn to solder in a couple of hours (my mom knows how, and built her own radio from a kit when I was a kid), and if you can read a map and understand map legends, that's exactly what a schematic is. I learned to solder when I was very little, and you would not have a problem at all if you're really interested!

Audio electronics is often made out to be something very serious and unapproachable, which is a perception often cultivated for other reasons.

There are some very reasonably priced kits for beginning builders, and it is lots of fun to listen to something you made yourself. It's one of the things I love about this hobby.

Erik

Amp building can also be very frustrating when debugging the numerous buzzing and humming that will arise along the way.

Amp building can kill you if you're careless.

I estimate that a good 99% of the world population should stay miles away from a soldering iron.

The 1% remaining can be very happy I'll confess.

Connect-O-Dot Jimmy... It's all for Popper... IF You Build it, She wont come... I did it with my own hands Billy... See me, See Me Frank...

Strange, the most miserable I have ever heard you was after you did something with a soldering iron. The most amusing I have ever heard you was after drinking two bottles of 97 Brunello di Montalcino.

Wait a minute.... ah yes, it was after I had consumed 2 bottles of Brunello di Montalcino.

Nevermind.

Erik, have you been letting the dog post again?

kh

Julie:

Erik

Amp building can also be very frustrating when debugging the numerous buzzing and humming that will arise along the way.

Amp building can kill you if you're careless.

I estimate that a good 99% of the world population should stay miles away from a soldering iron.

Connect-O-Dot Jimmy... It's all for Popper... IF You Build it, She wont come... I did it with my own hands Billy... See me, See Me Frank...

Its a good bunch less frustrating when you have no way to confirm an amps perfomance and rely on the "Look what I just built ego" as a means to say the task was easy. This way you have little to go on to really fine tune the circuit and find all those little tweaks hiding in the circuit.

I just built a stereo amplifier that sounds very good on initial fire up. But I know there is more there many DIY'ers would except it as being great and complete. Nothing wrong with this really but I myself want every last bit I can get out of a circuit and your not going to do it with a multi meter and your ears. This is the point where the frustration can become overwhelming. Change one thing and it screws things up in another area........ it can be a task that you have to just walk away from for a few days to clear your head.

Craig

This way you have little to go on to really fine tune the circuit and find all those little tweaks hiding in the circuit.

Craig

Here is my favorite tool to fine tune a circuit.

bucking-hammer-lg.jpg

I have some thing similar but the end is hard rubber. I guess I haven't graduated up to a full fledged Troglodyte as you obviously have [;)]

bucking-hammer-lg.jpg

Jeff, I appreciate the display of the very interesting picture of what appears to be a mini sledgehammer with unique ground head and oak handle, but would you please explain how this tool would be used to fine tune a circuit? In my view, and this is only my opinion, this device would not be the best for uncovering circuit anomalies. I know you have done some fine work in the past and am just trying to understand your methodology. Thanks for the input.

It's an old fine tuning techique my mom showed me (she also gave me this superb marinated chicken recipe my wife loves so much)..

For some reasons, I'd like audio electronics to remain something very serious and unapproachable. I'll therefore keep this technique a familly secret. I hope you won't be offended if I don't share it with you. I wouldn't want unsuspectful DIYers to be hurt in the process of trying it.

Some hints, this technique must be used while yelling the magic words. "That'll teach ya you goddamn piece of s**t"

Got to go... the chicken is simmering...

bucking-hammer-lg.jpg

Jeff, I appreciate the attempt at humor as well as the very interesting picture of what appears to be a mini sledgehammer with unique ground head and oak handle, but would you please explain how this tool would be used to fine tune a circuit? In my view, and this is only my opinion, this device would not be the best for uncovering circuit anomalies. I know you have done some fine work in the past and am just trying to understand your methodology. Thanks for the input.

Kelly,

Jeff has entered that wonderful stage of life called "mid life" it effects some people differently then others