If you like SuperTramp, you should listen to�

Colin

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What no threads on art rock band Supertramp? I got into them because of their pop success, including "Dreamer", "Goodbye Stranger", "Give A Little Bit", and "The Logical Song". I prefer their more smooth jazz rock fusion material. Dont like their second album Indelibly Stamped much, but their mellow 70s work is quite nice.

So, if I like SuperTramp, what else would you guys suggest?
[H]

[H]

I have a few Supertramp albums myself. My favorite is Crime of the Century

Have you checked out Asia and Toto? They are also

considered "art rock" and some of thier stuff have simliar

sounds. May also want to check out Yes and Kansas as well, and

even perhaps, Styx.

I sold a SuperTramp MFSL LP album on ebay earlier this year. It was a sealed copy of "Crime of the Century", and it sold for over 90 bucks. Shocked the pants off of me. I've actually never heard the band. Some guy in Germany bought the record

Now that shows your youth !

What no threads on art rock band Supertramp? I got into them because of their pop success, including "Dreamer", "Goodbye Stranger", "Give A Little Bit", and "The Logical Song". I prefer their more smooth jazz rock fusion material. Dont like their second album Indelibly Stamped much, but their mellow 70s work is quite nice.

[H]

Colin,

Have ya experienced the Little River Band ?

I have most of their cd's. (I think about 7or 8 of them)

I used to listen to a lot of Supertramp. Their breakthrough album

'Crime of the Century' was new, refreshing and exciting. And

they, like Pink Floyd, had an excellent reputation for live concerts.

By the time, 'Live in Paris' (btw - the stadium photo with the red

stripes is in Calgary) came out, I was tired of them.

Everything seemed to sound the same and even now, I can't get excited

over them. .

Be well. Hamish

I like Crime Of The Century a LOT, but the later stuff I've grown tired of.....although I do still like "The Logical Song" from "Breakfast in America", still rings true today.

As a "category", though, it's hard to "recommend" music in a similar "genre", as I'm not a real big "pop" freak. I guess if I was going to recommend anything, how about some earlier Genesis (Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Foxtrot, or Trick of the Tail)...any Genesis with Peter Gabriel works for me.

Colin,

Have ya experienced the Little River Band ?

I have most of their cd's. (I think about 7or 8 of them)

Born: Yeah, LRB is good stuff, too. Back in the late 1970's and early 80's I played sax in a local bar band that did mostly covers. We were one of the only bands in Detroit doing Steely Dan in the clubs back then. We also did a lot of Supertramp and Little River Band ('It's a long way there', 'Lonesome Loser', etc). A lot of bar owners didn't like us because people would come to sit and listen to our music rather than dance. The bar owners said they prefered dancers because they felt they drank more. Forget the fact that we were packing their place for the entire night, every night. Some bar owners aren't very smart. [;)]

Here here on the Genesis. The Lamb is still one of my favorites. I've always like Crisis, What Crisis from Supertramp. Even in the Quietest Moments is not bad as well.

But as for Genesis when you saw them in the early 70's you got a show and a half. You left the concert absolutely amazed at what you just saw. The sound was always top notch, lighting was SOTA and the performance was second to none. The new Dreamtheater Octavarium does a little tribute to Genesis on the last cut Octavarium. As well as Yes, ELP and a little King Crimson. Superb cut.

Cheers.

WOW...finally a thread on my favorite band, just wish Rodger and Rick would get along and play nice......

The only DVD I have seen and have is Supertramp....The Story So Far....

I hope some eon they will re-unite for a grand tour....ok....wishful thinking eh.....[:D]

STYX did it....[:o]

I remember riding in the back of my mom's Gremlin, replete with denim seats and 8-track player... I was probably all of four years old....

"Mommy, what's cynical mean?"

I'll never change the station when "The Logical Song" is on to this day.

Supertramp was big about the same time as 10cc, Pablo Cruise, Al Stewart, Alan Parsons Project, ELO, and Todd Rundgren--all of who were pseudo prog/pop---and all good.

If you like Supertramp, then you'll like "Something/Anything" or "A Wizard ATrue Star" by Todd Rundgren

Alan Parson's "I Robot" is his best--alot of prog and some great songs--

And Electric Light Orchestra's "Out of the Blue" is great--

Supertramp's "Live In Paris" was my favorite--didn't like that it doesn't have "Give a Little Bit" on it, though--

---And I wouldn't group early Genesis with Supertramp---that was progressive art-rock aimed at your head and heart.

I would group the post-Wind and Wuthering Genesis with Supertramp -- pop/prog aimed at the radio

Wow thanks for bringing them up, but to me supertramp is so unigue it's hard to recomend anything other than buy everything they ever did. So don't you look at my Girl friend she's the only one I got.

Hah!!

Look at the name of this thread!!!

My favorite song of theirs was "School" with that haunting piano solo--its killer in Live in Paris