DeanG , " Philanthropist ? "

sunburnwilly

About 3 weeks ago DeanG gave me an offer I could not refuse , " Who Knew He Was Italian ? " On the thread Ref. vs Heritage he told me that the caps in my 30 year old AA networks were shot . I popped back saying that for 30 year old shot networks as he called them , my Belles sounded great ! " Heres The Offer " , I send my AA's to him and pay for return shipping and he would refurbish them at his time and expense to prove a point . " Nice Guy , Philanthropist , Patron Saint of the Klipsch Forum or perhaps a Nut ? " Anyway all I had to do was Eat A Little Crow if I felt he was right about my AA networks , if I felt he was wrong I was free to tell everybody he is full of Bantha Fodder . Well I got my refurbished networks back last Friday ; I work nights so they were'nt installed untill early Saturday morning . My impressions are that my Belles sound alot warmer , and overall had a much smoother sound across the board . Thanks Dean . " Crow , it's Whats for Dinner "

post-18289-13819273749502_thumb.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you like the change. Now, since you have eaten some crow, the rest of us that have had Dean work his magic on our crossovers will resist the proverbial "told ya."

Dean, yes - incredibly nice guy and a philathropist.

But, "Patron Saint of the Klipsch Forum........." .[:o]

Maybe we can crown him honorary King, instead [:D][:D]

Carl.

You noticed the difference and he just used mediocre parts since he was doing it on his dime and time. Put some Kimber's, Auricap Theta's or Hovlands in there and it will bring them up to an even higher level.

Just goes to show even replacing the old caps with decent replacements still yields very favorable results.

This thread almost snuck past me!

Willy is the real philanthropist here. Very early into the deal he made a contribution to the SA/Katrina victims on my behalf, and then after receiving the networks offered to cover the parts - an offer I was more than happy to accept. :)

The caps are made by Jantzen. They may be at the lower end of the scale as far as price goes, but they are smoother sounding than the Solens. No, they don't have the clarity of some of the better caps, but they don't sound etched and grainy either -- which in my book is much more important. The networks got the restoration treatment too, which I kind of dig doing. I sanded the rust off the LF inductor and autotransformer with 220 and steel wool, taped them off, and then sprayed them down with Shellac. Brass brush and hot soapy water on the terminal strip, and then replaced all of the screws. Newly cut 5-ply Baltic Birch boards, painted, and then some nice rubber feet on the bottom.

Ya know Willy, I never said you had to eat that bird raw. :)

This thread almost snuck past me!

Willy is the real philanthropist here. Very early into the deal he made a contribution to the SA/Katrina victims on my behalf, and then after receiving the networks offered to cover the parts - an offer I was more than happy to accept. :)

The caps are made by Jantzen. They may be at the lower end of the scale as far as price goes, but they are smoother sounding than the Solens. No, they don't have the clarity of some of the better caps, but they don't sound etched and grainy either -- which in my book is much more important. The networks got the restoration treatment too, which I kind of dig doing. I sanded the rust off the LF inductor and autotransformer with 220 and steel wool, taped them off, and then sprayed them down with Shellac. Brass brush and hot soapy water on the terminal strip, and then replaced all of the screws. Newly cut 5-ply Baltic Birch boards, painted, and then some nice rubber feet on the bottom.

Ya know Willy, I never said you had to eat that bird raw. :)

Ahhhh come on Dean I know you just put stickers over the Solen emblems on those caps[;)]

Craig

I know you tried to talk me into that before, but networks aren't like amps. You can do it and they're nicely tucked away under the chassis -- but a network is out in the open -- and everyone knows what the end caps of a Solen look like. I don't even know why you bother covering up the labels of your Solens, I mean -- they're underneath where no one can see them.:)

I know you tried to talk me into that before, but networks aren't like amps. You can do it and they're nicely tucked away under the chassis -- but a network is out in the open -- and everyone knows what the end caps of a Solen look like. I don't even know why you bother covering up the labels of your Solens, I mean -- they're underneath where no one can see them.:)

Your on a roll......I have to admit that was very clever.

Dean's a philanderer?

I would have never expected it.[:D]

What an old fashioned concept, a deal where both sides come out of it

happy, and a third party benefits to boot. Pretty cool.

Another Dean fan here, see my "Twin Pics" thread to see what I

mean. Also had a starring role in my soon to be filmed Klipsch

Noir series.