The NOS Valves way to sonic bliss with a McIntosh C22 *updated*

NOSValves

Thebes,

Is this what you see in the mirror?

artiste.jpg

Artiste has an unshakeable faith in his own artistic gifts, and is very pleased to share them with everyone else. Frequently his own insipid poetry will appear in his email signature, and at other times, and to no apparent purpose, he will be overcome with the urge to post a poem in the midst of battle.

I edited the rest of the desciption because I didn't think it fit well. Great post as always.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All kidding aside, there is no question you put a lot of effort into

this and it is greatly appreciated your taking the time to share it

with us. That's one of the greatest things about this place. Look

at how DeanG spent considerable time putting together a "how to" on

crossover construction. Numerous others can , of course. be named.

That said, I could simply let one direction of this thread die down, or

since it's Friday night and the parole officers are away...

...Well, I think we should put it to a vote. Don't know how the poll function works but do we really need it?

Ok, here it is:

Hit Craig Upside the Head with a Dictionary

Attack his Soldering Skills

Engage in Light-Hearted Double-entandre

Say Bad Things About His Familial Antecedents

Gaze Adoringly with Winking Eyelashes at His All-Consuming Genius

I know how I'd vote, how about you?

All kidding aside, there is no question you put a lot of effort into this and it is greatly appreciated your taking the time to share it with us. That's one of the greatest things about this place. Look at how DeanG spent considerable time putting together a "how to" on crossover construction. Numerous others can , of course. be named.

That said, I could simply let one direction of this thread die down, or since it's Friday night and the parole officers are away...

...Well, I think we should put it to a vote. Don't know how the poll function works but do we really need it?

Ok, here it is:

Hit Craig Upside the Head with a Dictionary

Attack his Soldering Skills

Engage in Light-Hearted Double-entandre

Say Bad Things About His Familial Antecedents

Gaze Adoringly with Winking Eyelashes at His All-Consuming Genius

I know how I'd vote, how about you?

You forgot the most important choice.

"Craig did such a wonderful job lets all pool some money together and send the twins for a visit"

Now I know what I would vote for.

It's water under the bridge don't worry about it. But for discussion

sake put yourself in my shoe's. I spent many hours putting this post

together. I am a electronics technician not a english major. Some one

comes in and posts a snide remark about a silly gramical error. If

there would of been a "winky" or and "atta boy" with it that would of

been one thing....... Also put into your train of thought that I have

been repeatedly beaten up here in the past about my spelling and

grammer. Its petty and gets old fast..

+++++++++++++

Allot of great detail Craig!

I was thinking maybe one of the ladies of the house typed for you.

My pudgy stubs would be tired after that typing session.

Here Thebes you don't need to open your Marantz 8B here is the work I did to that little jewel. Your welcome to send it back up here for a while I'm sure the twins would hand deliver it for free....... Well they might want something for payment from me

post-7461-13819273788822_thumb.jpg

This also now live on my website and also there is finally a real VRD page although its just a basic page for now.

Craig

Dang, Craig...good job on the website. About the only thing that could possibly make it better would be to have a picture of Mua' [;)].

When I get those VRD's all pimped out, they might just make for fine inclusion to your website too. Maybe you could even start a new column, and call it "Pimp My Amp", after the successful (?) tv short called, Pimp My Ride.

Gilbert,

Rest assured any set of amps that are getting the treatment your contemplating will most definitly be on the website. I will be adding a boat load of photo's to that page soon. I have like 70 photo's of all the amps I have built. It just takes time and money to have my webmaster do this stuff.

Craig

Craig has done a few McIntosh products over the past year. He had a pair of MC-30's at his place over the March break and then performed surgery on mine during my visit to Flint. I also believe he did Tim's MC-30's before they were shipped to Holland.

The funny thing is I understood part of what he was talking about and of course the pictures really do help. The coupling caps, those old bumblebees, especially the larger value ones tend to leak, or don't keep their full charge. All of my .47 uF caps were lossy. Craig does very nice work, removes the old leads, cleans out the connection and then solders everything back as good as new. My amps had a few joined solder joints (joining the wires instead of making the connection at the circuit board) which are easier to do, but don't look as nice. Of course the other way is quicker because you don't have to take remove the second connection in some cases. It doesn't change the sound, but his professionalism in doing a solid job electronically and aesthetically is well worth what he charges.