The NOS Valves way to sonic bliss with a McIntosh C22 *updated*

NOSValves

Things are going well. School is back and the marking piles up quickly, yuk.

On the stereo front, I have another set of 350B's, Steve sold me the pair he had and they are now playing with the MC-30's. I also installed a P-trap in the Cornwalls (Audiocap Theta, 3.0 uF and a .10 mHy inductor) and the caps are slowly burning in. It really does help tame the squawker, now the bass is more pronounced as is the treble. A different sound, more mellow which sounds really good with jazz. It is not as much in your face as before which is a good thing. You know the story, constantly playing around with the equipment to get just a little more out of it.

I hope all is well with you and your family. From the look of your que list, you are keeping as busy as ever. Say hello to your lovely wife and daughter for me.

Don

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don,

I'm glad your having fun fine tuning with your gear! Speaking of 350B's you interested in doing a side by side with the new VA 350B I have a set now and I could pass them onto you for a few weeks to compare.

Stay on top of those kids they are the future as you well know.

Craig

Right on, Craig! Keep bragging! [;)] I really enjoy pics of insides (equipment ofcourse), even though it fills me with envy that I hardly have any clue what you are talking about. Thank Gods that I at least can hear well.[Y] Tim.

Is he bragging?

If so, Craig must have learned to speak Japanese, and to read Japanese schematics.[:D]

I had an ebay deal "going south" on a Luxman MQ60 that I had bought. The deal was time sensitive. Craig got it on the bench, up and running, and back to me in 72hrs.

Thanks again,

Terry

Craig, that sounds like an interesting idea, considering I also have those Chinese generic 6L6GC's, so I could compare the three. The generics are good, but lack the soul that the 350B's deliver, especially female vocals. I do like the ability to sit back, close my eyes and almost drift off to sleep. A very nice way to end a day.

It would be a good chance for other MC-30 owners to get an idea of the comparison in sound between the tubes in an amp that has been fixed up and is running at full tilt.

Don

Craig if I may ask what brand of capacitors are those green and pinkish collered ones you used on this rebuild, I think they look awsome?

Man I just looked and looked. I swore I answered that question yesterday. But anyway those are Mil Spec Film and Foils. Very good capacitors for the money. I'd put them right up there with Hovlands in fact as far as ruggedness I'd say they are much better then Hovlands.Sonics should be pretty much equal. There are metal jacked with a none conductive coating and glass hermetically sealed similar to the old Vitamin Q caps in outer construction.

Craig

Ya know, with all the excitement going on around here caused by the anti-advertising zealot nazi's on this forum, I forgot to mention just how much I've fallen in love with my Blueberry, ever since my C22 left the house, the BB has been my main 2-Channel pre. And I have fallen deeply in love with it.

Mark,

I commend you for building such a fabulous, yet simple work of musical art. If it had a remote, I would kiss you with these big ostrich lips. Don't worry, I'll shave first. Just kidding on the remote, I don't need or want one. It's not required for 2 Channel. Besides the new CD player comes with one, and I purposely deactivated it to fix the output signal.

I have had the Blueberry as my main preamp for several months now, and I must say that the this preamp is absolutely one of the best, if not the best musical component I have ever purchased. And I'm comparing this purchase to the any of the Heritage pieces I have accumulated to date. The Blueberry is just so sweet, clear and musical! Thank you for building such a wonderful preamp, and thank you for the Forum discount. That Blueberry is just to good to be true.