Beyma CP-25 vs. J.B.L. 2404

Born2RockU

Hello family,

What's the "skinny" on these two tweeters?

I am comin' down w/ the "tweeter" upgrade bug

and would LOVE to here what everyone has to say about these tweeters.

I assume these two are the obvious tweeter to upgrade

from my stock '95 KHorn tweets. (...I believe K-77's)

The Question:

Is either the Beyma CP-25 or the J.B.L. 2404 more preferred ?

(gimme the pro's and cons)

Craig,

I am using the Beyma CP-25 and can tell you they are far superior to the stock k77. I have not listened to the JBL but have ran curves on them and on the Beyma. The JBL tests better and is probably beter. The JBL costa more making the Beyma the bargain.

I have posted curves on both tweeter here on the forums. You just need to search for them.

Al K.

Craig,

I'm using the Beymas on my Khorns right now. The biggest advantage they have is price over the JBLs.

I sent my Beymas up to Bob Crites for a listen and to run on

instruments. He had heard the JBLs and was curious about the Beymas. I

don't recall exactly what he said, but I remember thinking that the

JBLs don't have anything over the Beymas, except being more expensive.

Craig,

I'm using the Beymas on my Khorns right now. The biggest advantage they have is price over the JBLs.

I sent my Beymas up to Bob Crites for a listen and to run on instruments. He had heard the JBLs and was curious about the Beymas. I don't recall exactly what he said, but I remember thinking that the JBLs don't have anything over the Beymas, except being more expensive.

Senior Al stated that ....

"The JBL tests better "

.....so I am curious what Bob Crites has to say.

Can someone please get him to chime in on this one.

Maybe the curve is better on paper for the JBL...

but can the ears hear the difference

on this Beyma CP-25 vs. J.B.L. 2404 situation????

Craig,

I could chime in. I have limited experience with the two tweeters you are asking about. I don't think either are a good solution to the problem. I want a direct screw-in replacement for the K-77 with a better top end. That means, I want a tweeter that directly replaces the K-77, fitting in exactly the same place, with the same sensitivity. This elusive tweeter would require no crossover work to function properly and no modification on the Klipsch cabinet. I have for the past couple of weeks been listening to a candidate tweeter that meets these requirements and results are, so far, very promising.

This is not something you can buy currently. I have to custom build some of the parts. If the project continues to look like a "good thing", I may decide to produce it for sale.

Bob Crites

The Beyma has a 100x60 horns versus the 100x100 of the JBL. I would think the narrower vertical dispersion would be an advantage because we don't need extra floor and cieling reflections. It would also mate better with the other drivers - I believe firmly that the off-axis response is as important as the on-axis (and going from 100x100 dispersion down to 45x90 is going to sound wierd).