Need HT Receiver Recommendation - Yamaha vs. Denon, etc.

BobbyNGa

Hey guys and gals. I need a HT receiver recommendation

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

It has been awhile since I needed to do any AV consumer research, so I wouldnt call myself an audiophile by any stretch just when it came time to create a descent home theater system several years ago, I reached out to a friend and the Web.

I am hoping to tap into some of the expertise here to help shortcut my research time as I need a replacement, well, last Saturday night :)

I had a Halloween Party on 10/29 and about 3 hours into the bash my receiver shut off, poof, never to return. The receiver has been problematic over the years (it has gotten hot and shut off before for protection, crackled and popped on all 5 channels when no signal is present on the DVD input, etc.) and was purchased cheap as the weakest link in my system at the time, knowing I would one day invest in a much nicer one. Well, now is the time! :)

I have been focusing on Denon and Yamaha, looking on eBay and options with authorized dealers for warranty considerations. I have found the Yamaha RX-V and HTR series, and the Denon AVR series attractive, specifically the Denon AVR-3205, and the Yamaha HTR-5890 and RX-V2500 models or roughly thereabout.

I am looking for some input! Here is my current hardware:

Deceased Receiver: TEAC AG-D9320 (not recommended by me AT ALL)

DVD: Pioneer DV-C5203 (just wanted something descent and has been fine)

IMHO, the speakers are pretty nice and are where I really threw my initial investment.

Front L/R: Klipsch KLF 20 (4.74 of 5 154 reviews)

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/klipsch/PRD_119936_1594crx.aspx

Center: Klipsch RC-3 (4.85 of 5 60 reviews)

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/center-channels/klipsch/PRD_119963_2743crx.aspx

Surround R/L: Klipsch RS-3 (4.79 of 5 19 reviews)

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/surround-speakers/klipsch/PRD_123912_2742crx.aspx

Subwoofer: M&K MPS-2810

http://www.mkprofessional.com/mps2810.htm

Whoop-tee-do, right? :) Okay, whatever.

If anyone knows any tricks with this TEAC receiver, let me know. And friend and I did pop the cap on it, test fuses and look for heat damage, to no avail.

Thanks!!!

Bobby

PS I am a B writer, so dont eat me alive for not being perfect ;)

If you have your heart set on Denon and Yamaha, that is fine, but if you are looking into the used market, I wouldn't ignore the Rotel 9xx series and later. They are usually available for a good deal (because of that 'upgrade' disease) and will most likely MORE than satisfy the 'non-afflicted' [;)].

You have not defined a budget but in the absence of that...

Someone has already suggested Harman-Kardon. I would consider them on a par with Denon or Yamaha. Someone has suggested Rotel, which is a good suggestion. You might want to consider the Outlaw 1070 receiver for $899. The Onkyo TXNR801 is on sale at www.onecall.com for about $580. It's pretty full-featured.

One final comment - don't buy from Crutchfield. They have good data but high prices. Use www.resellerratings.com to evaluate potential online vendors before you hit the "Buy" button.

[by the way guys, I just noticed that OneCall has Carver Sunfire. No prices but I wonder if there is a decent discount.]

Welcome to the forum BobbyNga. [:)]

Yamaha makes good products but IMHO, the Denons are a step above. I didn't think so until I had to move my Yammi RXV-800 into a larger room and couldn't get it loud enough before it made my speakers sound bright and hurt my ears. I exchanged it with a Denon AVR-3803 and was amazed at the difference. The Denons are a little more expensive, but IMO well worth the cost.

I also like hooking up 2 sets of side surrounds which the Denons allow. FWIW, I replaced my 3 Yamaha HT Receivers with Denons and I am not going back. I feel the best bang for your buck receiver out there is the Denon AVR-3803. HK makes a good product as well.

Try doing a word search on this forum with Denon or Yamaha and you will find several hits and recommendations. We all have our opinions [;)] Good luck.

Thanks for all the Great Advice and warm welcomes. I would have replied sooner, but I was expecting email notifications of posts and didn't get any today. So, I have been more active on other forums today. Glad I checked in here...

You guys are probably gonna slap me but... well I'll just paste my last reply from this thread elsewhere...

-----

From: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15453

Okay, HALT...

I just purchased a Panasonic SA-XR55K for $229.99 on Amazon (free shipping and no tax).

I came across quite a large and heated debate on this unit in the many forums, but became convinced to give it a try at THAT price. I figure if it isn't "right" for my HT, I can let it go to someone else and not take a big hit in the pocket...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=14778

I know, I know ... "but what about wanting to step up the weakest link in your system to something nicer" - well, if it works out I'll be real happy. And if/when it craps out in a few years, I'll take a look at the current technologies and make another decision then.

This unit is still an upgrade to what I had...

Again, Thanks to all who helped - and I'm sure others will benefit from this thread.

Bobby

http://www.BobbyGlover.com

-----

So anyway, I would still be interested in any opinions concerning my choice. I would also be happy to report back on my experience with the unit, but I would not be able to be as technical as many of the folks here.

Thanks Again!

I think you bought a cheap receiver that no way is going to be anywhere near their 100 watts per channel rating. [:o] I also don't think you are going to get the most out of your very nice HT. speakers. I followed your posts. They were right in telling you about the Denon 3805 but if you could find the AVR-3803 it would be more bang for your buck if you are on a budget ($500 used) and easily 3 times the receiver that you bought. Since you asked [;)] {edit: on the bright side it doesn't use much electricity [:D]}

I do appreciate it fellas. Like I said... when I get this thing in and setup properly I will know more about my choice, but I fet compelled to give it a try at that price. And I will have an immediate solution, under warranty, that *could be* returned or passed on to a friend - heck even to my son's bedroom, or sold to my company, etc.

I also think that when I replace it, I will be looking at a Denon 320(x).

You guys really think I am making a mistake? It hasn't shipped out yet... :)

OKAY ... FINE!

I cancelled the Amazon order for the Panasonic SA-XR55K for now... I am going to give this a bit more time.

And thanks for pointing me towards the 3803 - If anyone knows a good place to pick one up, let me know. A warranty would be nice...

Plus the 3806 just came out, so maybe some local stores will discount the 3805 to move the unit?... I am a bit scared of some of these guys on eBay.

OKAY ... FINE!

I cancelled the Amazon order for the Panasonic SA-XR55K for now... I am going to give this a bit more time.

And thanks for pointing me towards the 3803 - If anyone knows a good place to pick one up, let me know. A warranty would be nice...

Plus the 3806 just came out, so maybe some local stores will discount the 3805 to move the unit?... I am a bit scared of some of these guys on eBay.

I am a Denon fan (can you tell[;)]) and I also own the AVR-3805. I purchased it because I couldn't find a 2nd AVR 3803 for my business Home Theater. The Room EQ features are nice and if you can find it discounted would be a good option.

The AVR 3803 is almost the same machine without the Room EQ & Denon Link (which comes in handy if you own the DVD-3910) and would have plenty of power to drive your speakers without all of the afore mentioned bells and whistles. That panny you were looking at weighed less than 10 lb. and in no way could deliver the power it claims.

I don't buy on the Internet, but maybe someone else can help you out. Good Luck. (BTW: In my main HT I have the DenonAVR-4802 R, THX ULTRA 2 receiver and THAT would be my first choice if you can find one.)