Help with rear surrounds for lascalas

Paul

I was thinking rs 25 for rear surround since they are small for stands and 96db which would keep up with the lascalas,I tried the rb10 for rear surround on stands and they sound nice and fill in with sound quite nice but i had to turn the adjustment down to the lowest with my 47tx receiver,Question would you think the rs25 sound much better,Any ideas i dont want to spend to much and want to stay no bigger than rs 25 size.Thanks

i dont want heresys for my surrounds since i need the room and they are to big or i would use them since i had a pair already,reference sound good with lascalas but i have to turn the volume down on my receiver for the fronts if you know any thing about volume for your surround and adjustment on 47tx,49tx.I need more db output to fill in more sound if you know what i am getting at to come close to 104 db for the mains so i thought the rs 25 at 96db would be a close match and sound great

I lived with my RSS6 surrounds for 3 years before I got my Heresy's.

The RSS6 is a darn good surround speaker and served me well. But

compared to having Heresy's as surrounds for my La Scala's they don't

hold a candle to them, and I would suspect the same would be true for

the RS25. If you can sqeeze a few inches out of the area you have

slated for surrounds then get some Heresy's...you will never look back

scooter

I think y'all might be overlooking a speaker which, IMHO, (vs. the Heresy) is much smoother, digs the bass depths, has a relatively small footprint, and does not need to be mounted: The Forte.

...which, BTW, you can score off of ebay for from $500-750\pr.

My own Fortes are dreading the day I score LaScalas, and relegate them to surround duty. As much as I love my Fortes as mains, that LaScala\KHorn mid is one of the sweetest things in audio my ears have ever heard.

Guys

Did'nt you read his reply. If he does not have room for a Heresy, he is not going to put in the larger Cornwall or Fortes.

Paul, I for one would not mix Heritage and the RS. Here is

why. In a proper HT, you should not hear any of your

speakers. Sounds should just be there, imaging from all 5 or 7

speakers. When your surrounds do not match the timbre of your

mains, the sound will be there, but will not image or sound the same

from your mains to surrounds. You only get the HT magic when all

your speakers match.

Unfortunately, the smallest Heritage speaker is the Heresy. What

some of us have done is make mounts to mount the Heresy in the ceiling

/ wall corner. This does three things.

First with the surrounds over your head, it gives you the effect

of a diffused bipole speaker with the sound of a direct monopole.

Second, the speaker does not take up room space as it is off the gound and over your head.

Third, when the Heresy is in a corner, you get a much better bass

responce, in this case, it is the 90 degree corner of the wall and

ceiling.

For people who need a Heritage HT with space constraints, this is the best option IMO.

JM

OK I have been where you are. I know the space consideration issue all too well. The ideal match is more La Scala's but as you have indicated you cannot support that with your size/space limitations. Unfortunately there really is no suitable surround less than the Heresy, HII or HIII, now you can go bigger but that obviously is not going to work for you. Mixing Ref/Synergy ... with "Heritage" is not a favorable option IMO I tried it and did not like it by comparison. You need something that can keep up and match them sonically. The best recommendation I can give you is to mount them (Heresys) up high close to your ceiling and aim them somewhat away front your seating position to pseudo diffuse the sound if that is the effect you are looking for. Or just mount them up high and aim them at you for a more direct effect.

thanks for every ones kind input,i just picked up a set of rs25 surrounds and are my size for the space and they sound amazing,I think these would even sound great as back centers,I will pick up an other set and let you know,i think it depends on what you have for a av receiver as well,As i am running a 47tx monster this may be different then others are running.

j-malotky It maybe true in what you say in some sence to match speaker brands all the same but that depends on certain models,i run a older front center channel Sm video infinty which is their highest large theater center with the high output tweeter and two 6" speakers and i havent found a klipsch center that would even come close to sound quality ,there is lots of sound missing that i hear in my infinty's i would not even hear on the top line klipsch center and i tried all of them,So that shows you,Would i sell the center ?,never.

You have no idea what your system is truly capable of using all those mis-matched speakers. What was the point of coming here to ask people's opinion's when you had obviously already decided that you were going with the reference rear sound sprayers.

You could have used KG1's in the rear and a KG 2.2V or 2.5V for center that would leave that Infinity center in the dust. I have Infinity's RS Video which is better than the SM Video center in my bedroom with a matching Infinity setup and the RS video does not even come close to the KG 2.2V so it certainly won't hold a candle to a Heresy or Academy.

Might as well get rid of the La Scala's and replace them with some SM-152's or SM-122's to match your center.

You have no idea what your system is truly capable of using all those mis-matched speakers. What was the point of coming here to ask people's opinion's when you had obviously already decided that you were going with the reference rear sound sprayers.

You could have used KG1's in the rear and a KG 2.2V or 2.5V for center that would leave that Infinity center in the dust. I have Infinity's RS Video which is better than the SM Video center in my bedroom with a matching Infinity setup and the RS video does not even come close to the KG 2.2V so it certainly won't hold a candle to a Heresy or Academy.

Might as well get rid of the La Scala's and replace them with some SM-152's or SM-122's to match your center.

I've got a pair of Realistic Nova 6s I'll trade ya for the LSs. I'd even deliver.

All I can say is this. My Heritage HT really only came alive when

put a K400 in between my mains. It sounded OK with other centers,

but did not come alive and be all it could be.

A lot of us here have built our own custom Heritage centers to meet space requirements.

I hate to see people missing out on what there Heritage HT can really do and sound like.

JM

Even if you don't have space for the Heresy, the Forte that Chuckears suggested would be a closer timbre match to LS than any Reference speaker.

Here what the efficiency difference means to you. There is 8 db difference between your mains and surrounds. If 3 db is 1/2 power, you're delivering about 1/2 of 1/2 of 1/2 of the available power or 1/8 of the available power to your LaScalas to match up to those tiny surrounds. Plus they are a timbre mismatch. Unless you use the LS a LOT for 2ch listening, it's really a waste of a great efficient speaker.

Why not just downsize the fronts to match your RS now if you like the Ref sound so much?

You could save about 3/4 the floor space and get RF3's instead.

Michael

How can you say that a rs center speaker is better than SM video,have you ever used infinitys top SM video from years ago?Probably not since there were very little made and they were expensive to begin with.(For example) try to find a SM65 book shelf speaker ,Very rare yes,I have two sets in my strorage brand new,The RS series are below the SM series, and your tweeter is the standard infinty not the high out put, Call infinity for your self and ask them,Check the specs below more power handling and very effient

Frequency Response: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

100Hz - 25kHz (+/-3dB)

Crossover Frequency(ies):

2.2kHz

Sensitivity:

89dB (2.83 volts/1 meter)

Nominal Impedance:

Compatible with 8 ohms

Power Rating:

20 - 150 watts/RMS into 8 ohms

Woofer:

5.25" IMG - magnetically shielded

Tweeter:

1" ferrofluid cooled polycell

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS SM VIDEO

Frequency Response (±3dB):

78Hz - 20kHz and 45Hz - 27kHz

Crossover Frequency(ies):

2.2kHz

Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m):

93dB

Power Rating:

10 -175 watts

Impedance:

compatible w/8 ohms

if you read what i had said i need the room or i would hook up my other lascalas or my other speakers up.i hooked up the rs25 and they work great and sound excellent with the lascalas just a little fine tuning ,I am picking up an other set for back centers note :becuase i need the room i am using the rs25 or I I would throw my corn walls back there.