20 Watt Tube Amp?

Jeff Matthews

I am just plain curious. The link below is to what should be considered a very nice tube amp with rated output of 18-20 watts.

I have a Crown Microtech 1200 SS amp rated at 600 per channel at low resistance. Even at the higher resistance, I am sure its output is way more than 18-20 watts.

I turn it up about 1/3, and it rocks. I wonder how many watts I am running at that volume (just a rough guess would do, I think).

Bottom line, this tube amp offered for $3000 only puts out 18-20 watts. Will it rock the house like my much cheaper Crown? Or do people just spend the big bucks on a more soothing sound at moderate volume?

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1135479016

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, people do spend lots of money to get that "smooth" sound. $3000 for a tube amp is a little pricey, in my opinion, but to others, it is a bargain. It all depends on your tastes, I suppose...

You have a lot more dynamic headroom with your current SS amp than you would have with the tube amp. And, if you absolutely love the sound of your SS amp, you may not like tubes. Or, you may love tubes even more. Tubes often seem to breathe life into lifeless, analytical recordings.

That being said, $3000 is a pretty hefty entry price for someone who isn't familiar with tubes. I'd probably try to find something in the mid to lower hundreds for a starter, and if you fall in love with the sound, then spring for something more pricey.

Regarding how much power you currently use for "rocking", you'll need to define what that means to you. To some "LOUD" is about 80dB. To others, 80dB is quiet. If 110dB is loud to you, then you'd probably be using about 4 watts to achieve this level with K-horns (note: just in case my math is wrong, it's bee a LONG day...). Looking at it this way, your 600W seems a little bit much. That being the case, you'd probably be ok with a lower-wattage tube amp, provided you enjoy the sound.

Also note that tube choice will affect the sound of the amp... As will choosing single-ended or push-pull. You can further subdivide into running output tubes triode, pentode, ultralinear... Anyway... good luck. It's a confusing business. [:)]

My 20 watt tube amp will rattle the walls but not like the 600 watt SS. I wouldn't trade though. 60 wpc tube monos should shake the walls just fine though. You 'll find the high powered SS amp will more likely give you that chest thumping bass, the kind that moves your pant legs. If that's more important then the smooth, lucious, transparent, yet extremely detailed sound of a good tube amp, don't switch.[;)]

Duke's right though. You really need to do some auditioning if possible before spending that much cash. Everyone has their own preferences. I used high powered SS for 20 years before discovering tubes. I'll never go back now.

I was just wondering whether a high-dollar 20w tube amp plays loud enough to shake paintings off walls - like my Crown. It seems if somebody was spending $3k on an amp, it better do that. But seeing as the $3k tube amp is only 20w, can it - or are people pay that kind of money for moderate volume listening?

If you want to shake paintings off the walls you really have gone way past any reasonable interest in listening to music so it does not really matter what amps you use. Go ahead and buy those $3K amps or anything else and turn them all the way up, but sit close the the wall so if the paintings don't fall you are close enough to kick them down. Oh wait, this sort of spoils the effect. OK; how's this - alternatively, you could buy some reasonable gear and put a system of hidden wires within the walls of your place so that when you pull the wires from under your listening chair with your foot the hanging hooks for the paintings release them to fall on cue. You're wanting to impress someone other than yourself, right?

Or, you could consider listening to sound as music rather than music as sound. In this case you might be able to consider some folks' suggesions above realistically.

PaulN, I was wanting to impress you. Actually, I play my drums to the stereo because I don't have the time or inclination to be in a band. So, loudness is important. Sometimes I get so disappointed with myself. [:'(]. When will I ever learn what to like?

Reading your profile, I'd say you're like that guy that used to come on TV and say "We sell no wine before its time." [:)]

Me? I'm one of those guys that thinks the wine is ready when I am. [pi] No "vinyl-polishing" for me, thanks. [;)]

PaulN, I was wanting to impress you. Actually, I play my drums to the stereo because I don't have the time or inclination to be in a band. So, loudness is important. Sometimes I get so disappointed with myself. [:'(]. When will I ever learn what to like?

Reading your profile, I'd say you're like that guy that used to come on TV and say "We sell no wine before its time." [:)]

Me? I'm one of those guys that thinks the wine is ready when I am. [pi] No "vinyl-polishing" for me, thanks. [;)]

OK, I get it now; sometimes when I play a noisy record I hook up my Fender and play along (but not real loud). I understand what you're doing and why you need your rig to be real loud. I missunderstood.

As for the TV, I don't own one, never liked it. I can imagine this guy would have been a distinguished elderly gentleman with impecable taste with a rich deep voice in a room full of classical books holding a wine glass to the study window, right? That's mostly not me, I'm part Bubba (I don't even have a smoking jacket). I reread my profile and did think it was a little overboard. I'll work on that as soon as my '68 is off the blocks and I've found all the chickens that got out the back fence.

Rock on!

Pauln

I too have a Crown Microtech1200, but I haven't tried them on my Khorns. I use a 22W Scott tube amp and it has plenty of headroom for me. I normally listen to it around a quarter of the way up and go up to half if I'm rockin' out or watchin' a movie. That's around 107dB wit 112dB peaks if memory serves. I used to use an Adcom GFA555 and there's no going back to SS for me.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way the Crown runs a pair of 18" JBL 1000W Subs in a different setup. I do like the control SS has on Subs!!

Buy a norh tube amp for less than 500 you get 18 watts... clean... wonderful... open.... great power.... if your curious.

www.norh.com The guy (Michael Barnes) is an ex patriot from the UK, and has some rather cool sounding unique drum speakers.. But they also make GREAT tube amps as well. Hand made in Thailand. I have met him, and heard his stuff. OUTSTANDING!!

Buy a norh tube amp for less than 500 you get 18 watts... clean... wonderful... open.... great power.... if your curious.

www.norh.com The guy (Michael Barnes) is an ex patriot from the UK, and has some rather cool sounding unique drum speakers.. But they also make GREAT tube amps as well. Hand made in Thailand. I have met him, and heard his stuff. OUTSTANDING!!

for a direct link... http://www.norh.com/products/se18/index.html