Klipsch ..."revealing" ...or ..just Harsh ...??

Duke Spinner

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke

my switch to AL K's regular (not ES) crossovers in my 83 KHorns was one of the best upgrades I have experienced..the tweeters get more of the signal they beg for, and the horn is tamed, not "in your face" at all! What a difference. No more harshness, at all IMO. I told Al the horn mod he offers is next, but after I recover from all the new gear I've been buying! If you upgrade to the AL K crossovers, you'll realy be pleased! And you can choose the db level output from the mid (squawker)

Steve

Duke my switch to AL K's regular (not ES) crossovers in my 83 KHorns was one of the best upgrades I have experienced..the tweeters get more of the signal they beg for, and the horn is tamed, not "in your face" at all! What a difference. No more harshness, at all IMO. I told Al the horn mod he offers is next, but after I recover from all the new gear I've been buying! If you upgrade to the AL K crossovers, you'll realy be pleased! And you can choose the db level output from the mid (squawker) Steve

I agree the ALK is a huge help. They make my Khorns sound much much better. But ask yourself why tame?

FYI, the Forte I does not have the K55, it has the same mid driver as the Cornwall II,

When I demo'd the Forte I vs big KEF and B&W with a volume adjusted switcher, everyone thought the Klipsch sounded like H3ll, and the 'audiophile' approved speakers trounced them.

Until I had them walk up and see what was actually playing.

Don't ever try that test with a LaScala with an AL network vs a Cornwall II, it will just make you depressed.

Good speakers act like a magnifying glass, they show up every imperfection, anywhere in the chain.

Dude, what did you

expect with that gear? CDs and SS aren't really backwards

compatible with Klipsch Heritage. PKW's genius was fostered in the

vinly and tube era. You need to

revert to the technology that was current when the Klipsch

Heritage was born, man. Heritage Klipsh are beautifully revealing of

what good old vinyl and tube can do. Trying to drive then with gear

that didn't really exist when they were designed is like - what,

somebody help me out here....?

Pauln

PWK USED CROWN DC 150's ..PAUL

Duke, you are never going to like Klipsch in

comparison to what you have. Come on, stop this madness and stick with

the Altecs. Just compare the drivers between ALtec, JBL & Klispch

there is your answer.

Klipsch are fun but can really tear up a piece of music.

[6].....[6].....[6]..............Brett ....!

I AM trying to like the KH ..now stop ...[;)]

besides, You still have ..Yours

Edit ...

say, didya notice, when ya put 3 "devils" on yer screen .. it's "666" .. BWAAHAHA ........

You know in all seriousness it just might be that you dont like the KHorn. If it is not for you it is not for you - no shame - some people like it (actually love and adore it) and others don't.

If money is no object - try the Avantgarde Trio - I think you might like that - all the clarity of a KHorn - without the harshness.

Course it is probalby cheaper to have a play with the X-over first. The new Khorn is way sweeter than the old sonically (ITOOTOE - in the opinion of these old ears)

Duke, you are never going to like Klipsch in comparison to what you have. Come on, stop this madness and stick with the Altecs. Just compare the drivers between ALtec, JBL & Klispch there is your answer.

Klipsch are fun but can really tear up a piece of music.

[6].....[6].....[6]..............Brett ....!

I AM trying to like the KH ..now stop ...[;)]

besides, You still have ..Yours

Edit ...

say, didya notice, when ya put 3 "devils" on yer screen .. it's "666" .. BWAAHAHA ........

Yes, and loven them.[:P]

Dude, what did you expect with that gear? CDs and SS aren't really backwards compatible with Klipsch Heritage. PKW's genius was fostered in the vinly and tube era. You need to revert to the technology that was current when the Klipsch Heritage was born, man. Heritage Klipsh are beautifully revealing of what good old vinyl and tube can do. Trying to drive then with gear that didn't really exist when they were designed is like - what, somebody help me out here....?

Pauln

Excellent point!

That's BS. A good sounding speaker sounds good regardless of what you drive it with. My Klipschorns driven with a QSC PLX-1602 sounded nothing short of excellent. Right now I'm using a Crown MicroTech 600 - again, incredible sound. Does it sound like tubes? No, but it sounds outstanding nonetheless. I do prefer the sound of a good tube preamp in the mix, and if you're doing this make sure you check those input and output impedances.

Dean, my Crown defender! [:)] That's what I think. I got my Microtech 1200 by a lucky upgrade. 20 years ago, I had just purchased a new 600 from a shop, and I had crappy cables - wasn't getting sound. I didn't know they were crappy. I took the 600 back for them to look at it. They accidently shipped my 600 to a buyer in Seattle. Go figure how they made that mistake! They gave me a new 1200 in its place at no charge. Lucky me...

Just curious.... what did you mean by the 600 does not have the sound of a tube amp. Is it not as good in some respects? I never heard my speaks through a tube. Can a tube deliver the punch like the Crown?

Yep, that is BS. The DBX BX1's I had sounded incredible on the Klipschorn's, Belle's, Cornwall's, etc.

In fact I tried a pair of McIntosh MC-30's and the sound was virtually identical from the Klipschorn's with a little more lushness to the midrange with the tube amps but they were very close in performance. They both sounded very, very good. Keep in mind that all my networks have upgraded parts or a totally different network altogether thanks to DeanG.

I went through AR 18a's & 9's, ESS, Cerwin Vega D-8's, Polk Audio SDA-2's and RTA-12C's, Bose 301II's & 601III's, JBL L150's before finding the Klipsch Forte's and I never looked back after that. I had a chance to pick up a pair of 1980 Oak Lacquer Belle Klipsch in 1998 so I traded the Forte's towards them and that is where it all started. My next favorite speaker line after Klipsch is from the old a/d/s company. The L980's are on the top of my favorite list and I love the little L200's, L300's, and L400's.

It is just hard to beat the accuracy and detail from the horn loaded designs. I still respect JBL, Cerwin Vega and others but my preference is obviously with Klipsch.

Dean, my Crown defender! [:)] That's what I think. I got my Microtech 1200 by a lucky upgrade. 20 years ago, I had just purchased a new 600 from a shop, and I had crappy cables - wasn't getting sound. I didn't know they were crappy. I took the 600 back for them to look at it. They accidently shipped my 600 to a buyer in Seattle. Go figure how they made that mistake! They gave me a new 1200 in its place at no charge. Lucky me...

Just curious.... what did you mean by the 600 does not have the sound of a tube amp. Is it not as good in some respects? I never heard my speaks through a tube. Can a tube deliver the punch like the Crown?

Jeff, that's my same amp dude! It's in the PA rack and doesn't get much use. How loud is the fan and do you use yours in your HT rig in any capacity?

Michael

Jeff, that's my same amp dude! It's in the PA rack and doesn't get much use. How loud is the fan and do you use yours in your HT rig in any capacity?

Michael

The fan is audible. It's like a regular room fan we would use to cool a room when we don't want to use the A/C. At real low volumes, you hear it, but you come to realize that you might subconsciously just think the room is a little cooler, so you tune it out. Don't get me wrong. I'd like no fan sound at all, but that fan is probably needed for such a workhorse amp. I have cranked that bugger many times over the years. Probably would have had a fire or two with other fanless amps. At least I think I cranked it. I don't have the ba**s enough to go past half-way because it gets like an earthquake in there, and I get a little scared.

As far as HT, I've used it there. I'm not big into HT, but in the past I hooked it up to my TV and listened to (watched) "Apocolypse Now" through my Crown and Corns. Man, those helicopters really punch! I'll probably bring my Corns downstairs and do some HT-ing now that I got KHorns. It used to be so inconvenient because my main purpose for my system is to unwind and jam on the drums to favorite rock tunes. Then, I get to pretend I am part of the band and live the part of my life that conscience kept me out of. Lugging equipment is not my idea of fun. But I've often wanted to bring it back down and watch (listen) to another action-packed movie like "War of the Worlds" or something. It's just fine for HT - fan and all. Just like a little fan sound, which if you did not know better was either cooling the room a little or freshening the air. You just don't get annoyed with it once you realize it wouldn't be any more intrusive than say, a ceiling fan, which many of us use all the time and don't get bothered.

That's BS. A good sounding speaker sounds good regardless of what you drive it with. My Klipschorns driven with a QSC PLX-1602 sounded nothing short of excellent. Right now I'm using a Crown MicroTech 600 - again, incredible sound. Does it sound like tubes? No, but it sounds outstanding nonetheless.

EXACTLY! I'm currently all SS and I defy anyone to "tell" what the topology is...

DM

Michael, I forgot to add, I think the Micro 1200 is way more amp than Klipsch can handle. I have no idea what speakers you would run the 1200 through to deliver everything it's got. My biggest fear?

.... While no one's around, my dogs bump volume control to max, and my wife comes in and turns system on to play music. My God!!! Could you imagine? [:o]