Intro and question for LS replacements

robble

Aloha from Hawaii all!

I've been a lurker here for awhile and finally decided to jump in.

Anyway I have a slight delimma.. I am the proud owner of TWO pairs of Lascalas - '85 and '90 vintage. I bought them while I was single and living in a military barracks room (overkill? nah!). Now I have a significant other and have moved into a town house with her. She loves the sounds but of course "they are too big!!" and now she wants me to sell them. I will NOT sell both pair (I don't want to sell either pair). I know all Klipschs sound good, but what do you recommend I replace a pair of Lascalas with that won't disappoint me after being so spoiled? They may sell this Friday for $700 ('85) so that is my budget. I need something considerably smaller (easy) but I still want incredible sound.

I don't have any place around here that sells Klipsch so I can't really go and audition them. Besides with my budget I may be looking at buying something used.

I also REALLY want to get a set of Al K's crossovers for my remaining pair but I'll leave that for later.

Thanks!

Rob

Hi!

My guess is most of the suggestions you'll get will be Heresy's. In a smaller, more manageable size they'll sound closer to the La Scala sound than just about anything else out there.

The Klipsch Heritage line (Klipschorn, Belle, La Scala, Cornwall and Heresy) share a similar family sound, and they all sound quite a bit different as a group than most other speakers. Klipsch makes a wide range of smaller footprint, more "modern" speakers, but if you like the way the Heritage line sounds you probably won't be completely happy with anything else. You might want to at least have her look at a Belle Klipsch, which is basically a prettier version of a La Scala. It's still a really big speaker, but it has a more decor friendly look. Used might be available in your price range, probably a bit over the top end.

Other alternatives would be some of the older Klipsch line like the Forte or Chorus and similar.

Cornwalls are the next in line in the Heritage lineup. Same drivers exactly as the LS, but smaller, shallower mid horn, so the cabinet is only 15" deep. About the same face frame size as LS though, but without the horn look, they appear like just overgrown speakers. Usually go for around $600 a pair in reasonably good shape.

If you want the next size down, the Chorus II would be good. Newer horn styles, 34" or so high, but only about 16x16 size, so it's about 2/3 as narrow as CW or LS. Has a passive radiator in the back for deep smooth response.

If you need to go smaller, there's maybe the ForteII or KG lineup to consider.

Michael

Thanks for all the suggestions.. Seems like the Heresy or Forte would be most likeley considering size - they have about the same footprint it seems although the Forte is taller. (If i read the dimensions right). The Chorus II sounds like it would be a decent chioce too although a little bit bigger. The Cornwalls are definitely too big.

I wish she'd get used to them but she has had several years and the size concern to her is getting worse I as accumulate more "stuff".

I also agree the LS were in my life first and are most likely to me around a lot longer haha. Maybe if I'm lucky the guy coming over Friday will decide not to buy them =)

One of her big arguments is that I cannot really use them (true) as I don't have room to properly place them and since I have many nearby neighbors I can't turn them up loud at all. So? I may not live here forever! I may have to buy a house in the middle of kansas so I can!

It's good to know though I should be able to get another pair in the future if I need to for around $1000 (used). *sigh* Dontcha hate it when your loves get jealous of each other? ;)

So now, I need to start looking for some Fortes probably.

Robble,

Not to add more headaches to your decision, but.....

Some of the cabinets you are considering have a passive radiator in the back. As such, they would need to moved away from the rear wall. All cabinets are sensitive to room placement but this is a consideration above and beyond.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I'll say two things...

1- Someone is getting a good deal for $700.

2- You should store them instead for when you'll want them back for a

Home Theater room. If you can't spare the room to store them,

load them to a friend until you need them back. That's what I'd do!

My wife hates my LaScalas too. I've had them for 25 years and her

for only 13 so she "knows her place" lol (btw, I'll deny

ever having said/implied that[A])

That said, she detests them being visible, detests them being next to

the wall, detests them being away from the wall (ad nausium)

Soooooooooo, what do I do but bring some Khorns home [:o]

Although she still says "Big speakers are passe'", she has to admit

that they are a LOT tidier than the LaScalas (disappear into the room

more).

Soooooooooooooooo

If you got the room... perhaps toss some Khorns into the

corners. They are a LOT more managable in the room (looks wise)

to my wife than the LaScalas are.

That will also set the precident for your wife that she needs to be

careful when she tells you to do something. You just might do it

and STILL be able to have your cake to eat.

[A]

i gotta git me a pair o dem fortes

M

The 'House of Klipsch'
LSIglass/ LSIbass/ LSBR/ CWWO/ CWWO/ CWWO63/ CWBR/ CWctr/ KLF-C7/ HDW/ HWL/ HWO/ RB5IIOakx4/ RC7Blk/ RB3IIMaple/ KSB1.1x8/ KSC-C1Oak/ KG4Blk

MICHAEL///// step back from the buy it now button... hahaha you know your going to have to have them all..and be able to show them all off too?

I personally hand you the torch....

Ladies and gentileman.. and kids of all ages..... (drum roll please.....)
MIchael is the "HOUSE OF KLIPSCH 2005" recipient buyer of all things Klipsch collector of the year award..

LOL! I could see her having a heart attack if I brought home a pair of Khorns! They would make the LSs seem small. I would've bought the Khorns back in 90 instead of the LSs but they wouldn't fit through my barracks room door! (I took measurements).

I guess I could tell her she need to get rid of her piano (and me too at that point).

I actually suggested getting a storage place but she thought it was s "stupid" idea.. paying to store soemthing you aren't using for an indefinite time.. *sigh*

Letting someone borrow them would be nice if I trusted someone else enough to do that but the very few I'd trust wouldn't have room for them either.

Yea, if this guy buys them for $700 he's getting a heck of a deal. It's just hard to find a buyer here in Hawaii for what they are really worth. I've had them on e-bay a couple times now without bids. A lot of people on the mainland or oversees asked me about them but the shipping cost would be outrageous.

I'll charge considerably more if he would rather get my '90 set with the grill and newer crossovers. Especially now that I see a new pair is going for $5000. Also he plans on bringing over a Sonic T-Amp to test it with the LSs. The amp is only rated at like 6 watts per channel It can run on 8 AA batteries! If it doesn't work with the LSs though he probably won't find ANY speaker it'll work well with.

Speaking of which, I wish this website would list the MSRP for all the speakers. Amy??

LOL! I could see her having a heart attack

if I brought home a pair of Khorns! They would make the LSs seem

small. I would've bought the Khorns back in 90 instead of

the LSs but they wouldn't fit through my barracks room door! (I took

measurements).

Sure they would. Sideways! Plus the top section comes off.

I found out the top of a Klipschorn comes off the hard way.

It is not a good idea to mess with someone big enough to carry a Klipschorn in one piece by himself, especially after he is PO'd from carrying it down a flight of stairs, and then finding out it wouldn't go through a door-way.

The Klipschorn is less obtrusive in the room than the LaScala, as they only stick out 11" from the side walls. The GF can also stick junk (furniture) in front of them without destroying the sound.

Consider the Klipschorn before dumping the LaScala (or GF).

Well, the guy and his wife came by today to audition them. He brought a portable cd player and a Sonic T-Amp powered by batteries. I wasn't expecting much from the T-Amp since it is only rated at 6 watts/chan. Then again he wanted to know also if it could push the LSs.

*OH MY*

Now I more so do not want to sell them now after hearing them LOUD and clear on this little portable $30 amp. It just got ME amped up about them again. It's been long while since I've had them up that loud (I live in a condo).

Of course they were duly impressed. One thing in my favor though is it scored low on the WAF. Which also happens to be the only reason I'll sell them. He left now to go "discuss" getting them. I truly half hope he doesn't.