Sometimes you just get lucky . . .

Allan Songer

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sometimes you just get lucky. On Sunday I went to the Pasadena City College swapmeet--this is the best swapmeet for records in Los Angeles and I went nearly every month for YEARS, but lately I haven't been going all that often--maybe 3 times in the last year. I got there late, maybe 11 AM and was only going to spend a couple of hours browsing because my wife was with me and that's about all she can take--we were going to have lunch and go to the Norton Simon museum in the afternoon. Anyway, as I went from vendor to vendor looking through the records I came across some decent stuff--a couple of potential keepers and some ebay fodder as well. We were about to leave and I stopped at one last stall and in the second bin I flipped through--right between two Residents LPs -- there it was. An original Transition TRLP-10 Sun Ra album. I nervously picked it up and took the record out of the jacket (no inner sleeve) and inside was the origianl booklet of liner notes and pictures (the backs of all Transition LPs were blank). The record has BOTH labels attatched (rare for this company--they must have used really crummy glue), though one was loose. The jacket had one little seam split and the record looked STONE DEAD MINT. I asked the seller "how much" and when he said "five bucks" I almost fell over.

This is the best swapmeet find for me in the last decade. An $800 record for $5. But I'm not selling it--I've been wanting this record for YEARS!!!!

By the way, it plays like a new record. And the music is KILLER.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe $800 on a good day on ebay. $600 EASY with one email to Japan.

ANY of the jazz Transition LPs --with the exception of TRLP-30, the compilation record-- in this condition with the booklet are worth $250 minimum. The Donald Byrd, Cecil Taylor and Sun Ra records are worth considerably more.

Maybe a bit optomistic, but not over the top. Japanese collectors will pay a 100% premium for records in this condition--the vinyl is pristine and the jacket would be mint other than a 1/2" seam split on the upper right corner. A mint Cecil Taylor Transition (TRLP-19) sold for over $700 earlier this year and Pearson sold two of the Bryd records (TRLP-4 and TRLP-17) for over $300 each in VG condition and one was missing the booklet and had one label detached. I bid on the Lucky Thompson LP (TRLP-21) on ebay a few weeks ago and didn't get the record with a $305 bid--it went for about $350 in VG+ condition.

Like I said--I know two Japanese collectors who I am certain would buy this record for $600.

Wow, congrats again man! I wish you would reconsider making a true collectors bible, but I understand there's no market and it's a huge project as well. Is there maybe a list you already have and want to share? I love the music and also stroll the record fairs, but never have any idea what prices are fair. There must be some treasures here and there, even in Holland. Enjoy![Y]

Welcome back, J. J. What have you been up to? Would you rather listen to Ra or Dire Straits?

Hello to you as well, Parrot,

To answer your question, actually neither. At this

moment it would probably have to be Cecilia Bartoli: "The Salieri

Album". I'm not too big on three chord pop (the Beatles and a few others being the exceptions), or hacks.

Hope you and everyone here have been doing well.

Allan

I wish I have half your knowledge when it comes to vinyl. God knows how many of these rare and expensive records I pass by everyday not knowing it's worth a few bucks.

Based on this thread, if I find an LP that is old, says "Jazz" on it somewhere, and is in good condition for five bucks, I'm buying it! Then I'll find out if it is worth anything. [:)]

Allan

I wish I have half your knowledge when it comes to vinyl. God knows how many of these rare and expensive records I pass by everyday not knowing it's worth a few bucks.

Based on this thread, if I find an LP that is old, says "Jazz" on it somewhere, and is in good condition for five bucks, I'm buying it! Then I'll find out if it is worth anything. [:)]

..dog:

I agree w/ ya. I am gonna keep my eyes out too...then, report back to the forum to see if I found any jewels worth sharing.

Well done Allan it seems.

As for the rest - forget it. There aint no easy way of finding rare vinyl other than doing the legwork and research to know beforehand what is what.

There is a lot of junk out there masquerading as worthwhile. Case in point - on Saturday I had a very pleasant day with some fellow audio enthusiasts browsing through record shop after record shop in the flea markets of Athens.

I never normally go there - quality is often suspect and thes guys know what they are doing (mainly the buyer!!)

There were no facilities to try out records and I decided to take a risk and buy anyway - more fool me!!!

Picked up 13 albums and double albums - just about all junkers - with every problem imaginable:

1. Playback through a rainstorm - you can almost hear the music - I had no idea there were records in this poor a condition!

2. Extremely poor recordings with circa 1940's microphones.

3. Original disasterous stereo recordings with the voices on one side and the instruments on the other.

4. Stereo recordings with instruments and voices on one side and hiss, cracks and buzz on the other.

5. Records that play the middle tracks great - but the outer tracks have been used to scrap snow off the windshield whilst being held by the inner tracks.

6. Records so off-centre they basically all but missed the vinyl altogther.

7. Records that stick at given points.

8. Records that jump at given points.

Out of 13 records purchased one is perfect (a Philips - wouldn't you know it!!) and one is OK. The rest ....not classics!!!

It is at times like this that I understand the compunction to buy CD.

Moral of the story:

Find a few places you know and trust.

Either pre-test what you buy or get an assurance you can return non-playable stuff. Preferably both.

For every apparent bargain out there - there is a lot of total junk. Flea market shopping will sometimes yield such poor returns it can be cheaper to buy the record you want at the proper price.