Wanting to make a change.

Trey Cannon

I have a CRT sony projector Vp-1272 I have been thinking of changing to a DLP. I will have to sale one to get the other. What would you guys do? Do any of you want a good deal on a CRT projo?

Whatever technology you decide on, I would definately test drive a DLP system for as long as possible before investing any time or money. You may find you or your family members can not tolerate the limitations of some DLP systems. LCoS and D ILA are alternatives to LCD but can be expensive, just like three chip solutions but they can be good alternatives if you like what you see and price is not an issue.

Trey-the 4805 is a very nice projector. You might want to pick Scooterdog's brain a bit on that one. Seems like he bought his about 6 months ago or so. I have the Infocus X1 and really like it, although I have a screen that doesn't really bring out the best image. (The gain is way too high-I use it for work as well). I'm not quite sure what your budget is, but check your pm for some additional info.

David

Trey-the 4805 is a very nice projector. You

might want to pick Scooterdog's brain a bit on that one. Seems

like he bought his about 6 months ago or so.

He actually talked a little about it last week in my A quick budget projector recommendation question

thread. The 4805 was one of my first choices as well... but i'm now

leaning to the Panasonic PT-AE700U and Sanyo PLV-Z3 for a little more

money... as they have much better placement options (lens shift) as

well as doing HD native.

I have not purchased anything yet, as my room isn't ready...

ROb

Can you tell me what "doing HD native" means?

I was referring to the actual number of physical pixels on the display device actually being 1280 x 720.

In other words, the projector's "native resolution" matches the HDTV

broadcasts of 720p (1280x720 pixels progressive) without scaling the

image. This is compared to some other projectors, which label

compatibility with higher resolutions through compression of the

broadcast to fit the lower resolution display (like the 4805).

http://www.projectorcentral.com/buyers2.htm

One item I discovered when I stared looking at models several weeks

ago, is the limited placement options some of the units have. If

you have a fixed height or depth where you can place your

projector... make sure it'll fit your room.

I'd like my unit ceiling mounted and the screen very close to the

ceiling... which requires a lens shift to make it work. It'll

cost me a little more, but i rather know now... than after i buy a

projector...[:$]

ROb

I must put in my $.02 here.

Spend as much as you need to, you get what you pay for and doing it all

up front, is cheaper than the upgrade route. The lens shift option is

fantastic for instalitation on the ceiling. I also push for LCD display

over DLP for picture quality. Native resoulion should be Hi def if you

are going to go with HI Def in the future, again for picture quality.

I saw that $500 deal also and I thought to myself, "61 inches just isn't big enough." I decided I would keep my InFocus 61md10 because I have only had it for 2 1/2 months and I cannot control ambient light like I would like to and the 4805 isn't HDTV. It's a screaming deal though so you should jump all over it.

I have the panasonic 700u, after seeing it my boss bought one, my friend just bought the 900......you owe it to yourself to check this one out, stunning pictures!! It is also very easy to mount, meaning it is forgiving on placement, excellent throw range! You should be able to get a 700 at a good price right now as they are closeing them out for the 900's, be quick though, once they are gone you will HAVE to buy a 900 at the new price.

It is also very easy to mount, meaning it is

forgiving on placement, excellent throw range! You should be able to

get a 700 at a good price right now as they are closeing them out for

the 900's

Placement is a big feature in my opinion... and your right about the

price, as they are selling for just under 1500$. Unfortunately my

room is months and months away...

BTW, the Sanyo Z3 is another option with similar performance and is also "last year's" model at under 1500$

ROb

I considered both the Infocus 4805 and the Panasonic PT-AE700E. Both are fine projectors for very little money. In the end I purchased the Panasonic because of the incredible versatility of the machine. You can place this projector anywhere in the room with good results. Mine is ceiling mounted.

The most surprising feature of this projector, is the near elimination of the screen door effect. Contrast is very good, compared with my older NEC VT540 LCD projector. Another plus is the excellent lamp life - particularly on the economy setting. Lamp life on this setting is not quoted but it's been suggested to be around 5000 hours, which is much more than the 4805. My pull down screen size is 95 inches. I will upgrade this soon to a 105 or 110 inch fixed screen. Any bigger and I reckon I may lose some brightness.

Rob,

Thanks for the info. and the link, but I'm still confused about "scaling" and "compatibility with higher resolutions through compression of the broadcast to fit the lower resolution display (like the 4805)".

I'll have to consider the Panasonics, but Infocus is selling refurbished 4805s with a 76" screen and ceiling mount for $775 on Ebay ($799 shipped). That's sounding pretty good. I'll give them a call and ask a few questions.

Rick.

Rob,

Thanks for the info. and the link, but I'm still confused about "scaling" and "compatibility with higher resolutions through compression of the broadcast to fit the lower resolution display (like the 4805)".

I'll have to consider the Panasonics, but Infocus is selling refurbished 4805s with a 76" screen and ceiling mount for $775 on Ebay ($799 shipped). That's sounding pretty good. I'll give them a call and ask a few questions.

Rick.

A 1280 x 720 projector can display a 720 progressive signal in its "native" resolution. A 1080 interlaced signal sent to the same projector would have to downscale in the projector before displaying a picture.

On the other side of the coin, if you have a projector that is native 1920 x 1080 and are receiving a 720p signal, it would have to be upconverted before displaying a picture. A 1080i signal would match the native resolution.

It seems most HD material is 1080i and most sports events are in 720p. Either way, your projector will have to upscale or downscale, depending on the source material.

This is a very general explanation but I think answers your question.

Thanks. That helps a little, but I'm still wondering if "upscaling" or "upconverting" is something that the SP4805 does? Will it produce a "high definition" picture when connected to a HD cable service?

Rick.

Almost all display devices upscale or downscale recevied signals so they can be displayed at their native resolution, and the InFocus does as well.

Unfortunately, the 4805 is not a HD projector. It's native resolution is 854 X 480.

It will still provide a stunning picture but I would save my nickels if you are wanting true HD.

The Panasonic AE700u (last years model) or AE900u are LCD's and are getting great reviews and are 1280 x 720 projectors. The Sanyo Z3 and Z4 are also highly rated.

You could pick up last years model for a great price since you are on a budget.

I suggest you digest some of the material on this site. It is a great resource for your particular questions.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/

Hope this helps.

• Klipsch Employees

All I use is 480p ... I use Svideo or RGB to get there.

I dont care for HD yet.

Before you start, Indy, Steve P and others give me enough "stuff" about using 4:3. But all my movies are in 4:3 and I have nothing that can give me HD anyway.

Steve and I have been looking at my setup and are going to change the way I have things. I may keep the CRT for a bit longer. We will see.