The Polar Express

m00n

I kid you not, when the train first rolled into the station I WAS THERE! The floor, walls, ceiling were are moving and rumbling extensively and when the train whistle went off I about pissed my pants - WOW! The LFE was tremendous, I have everything set to Large with dual Velodyne Servo 15's - Man O' Man! The train pans were stunning!

I kid you not, when the train first rolled into the station I WAS THERE! The floor, walls, ceiling were are moving and rumbling extensively and when the train whistle went off I about pissed my pants - WOW! The LFE was tremendous, I have everything set to Large with dual Velodyne Servo 15's - Man O' Man! The train pans were stunning!

LOL... Yup, I remember when we seen it a year ago at the local Regal Cinemas, I was thinking to myself then "I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS DVD". Another good shot of train affects is when the boy pulls the emerency stop lever and the train screeches to a stop...

• Moderators

LOL, ok, this is cracking me up, and I had to share. I saw the subject of this thread, and thought, good, now I can look at a discussion of sentiment and "fluff," and perhaps join in about how I got teary eyed when Santa took off in his sleigh (that's always how I imagined it as a kid, too)...then I actually read it, and all I see is how awesome the sound effects are and how the subwoofer shook everything.

Venus and Mars...I tell ya, it's true.

[:)]

Other than a few bad movies.. Tom Hanks.. to me like Ron Howard films.. Always a must see.

Tom Hanks in "That Thing You Do" one of my all time feel good movies.. Maybe a little dreamy, but just how I imagine it to be in that era too. A must see for Tom Hanks fans..

I just saw bits and pieces of the film.. so far the train.... your right... OMG, I felt like it was in my room!

The high sound pressure levels... to silent whispers.... very appearant in this film. Crank it up and enjoy!

I watched this last night with the kids, now when I usually watch movies at it's highest tolerable volume I have the dial set at about -12 to -14 before its starts to sound shrill in the highs and strained all around, this movie allowed me to go down to about -7. I'm not quite sure whats happening here, is it the quality of the audio that allows this, maybe less compressed, or maybe mixed at a lower volume. Anyone else experience this?

Tom

LOL, ok, this is cracking me up, and I had to share. I saw the subject of this thread, and thought, good, now I can look at a discussion of sentiment and "fluff," and perhaps join in about how I got teary eyed when Santa took off in his sleigh (that's always how I imagined it as a kid, too)...then I actually read it, and all I see is how awesome the sound effects are and how the subwoofer shook everything.

Venus and Mars...I tell ya, it's true.

[:)]

Hey, whatdaya think I meant when I said "Good Xmas Story?" [;)]

psssssssssssst It still is if you let it.. That's the point of the movie.. Faith in Santa makes it and him real.

I do not know about you, I still believe.. I hear the Bells... And I still get presents from xoxox Santa too.

I know my wife gets Victoria Secrets presents from him too. I look at it as a present for her.. For me to see too. A win win!! hahahaha And he picks out the sexiest things too!!! OK, back to your previously scheduled program..

Saw it, but wasn't too thrilled with it, sound was cool some of the action effects were neat but I think what threw me off was that Tom Hanks voice was present in so many of the characters, I guess that was intentional? As it was to make a thread through out the movie of the boys dad, but to me, I'd rather there were other voices for the characters instead of knowing/hearing Tom's voice in each of the male characters in the movie. Other than that, it wasn't too bad a movie but not one that I'd purchase.

G2

• 4 weeks later...

That movie is great and will now be a regular every year from now on. The train ride to the North pole across the lake and the roller coaster effect could only be done with digital animation and are my favorite parts. The beginning of the movie when the train comes to town was a real sub shaker as well.

I watched this one on Christmas Eve. However, we watched it on our living room system instead of in the theater. The LR system consists of a 35" CRT, an Onkyo Pro-Logic system, B&W satellites & center and a Polk 10" powered sub. I agree that the LFE action was mighty impressive. But as a children's Christmas story, I was a bit disappointed. We found the general mood of movie to be a bit too dark, as if it was trying too hard to appeal to the adult viewers rather than the kids. High quality animation and sound throughout. I must also agree with one of the other threads here that they used Hank's voice for too many characters. I still recommend viewing this one. It's a good watch. But for me, it's not a keeper. It might make a good demo for some folks. There's lots of cool train sounds. My grandson LOVES trains.

• 3 weeks later...