travisc

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AL K

Probably right , and at this point, going to work more on clearing the room ( basement) and giving the Cornwalls more room and sitting farther back. Didn't take much arm twisting here as I really like the way these things sound as they are set up, just some minor tweeks, and buy more cds and enjoy. Going to have to try a tube amp sometime, currently using SAE 3100 pre and 2200 power amp, I used to sell this stuff when it was new, along with Soundcraftsmen, Sansui, Kenwood,Pioneer ( circa 1977-1982) but never tried any tube stuff ( built amatuer radio tube transmitters, no stereo equipt). Thanks again ( and to evryone else for advice.

travisc

Let us know how you like this set up when you get there. if you try the upside down thing like I did as you know, be carefull not to scratch up the top of your Cornwalls ( which would now be the bottom!) Sounds like human voice coming through the woofer is normal even at 400hz ( I should have known this, probably forgot!), anyway that would explain the "hole in the sound"I mentioned earlier when the 511 is on top of normal orientation cornwall, the woofer and midrange (511) drivers are a bit too far apart, fliping the cab gets them closer together, again slight drop in bass but tighter.

well low and behold, a giant box a day earlier than ups said. Its like xmass here in VT. Got my 511b's and my animusic 2 today.

got everything I need except something to block off the holes from the horns.

pictures and initial impressions by wed

thanks again for all the help!!

Al,

you think a 400hz crossover in a Cornwall to be a little overkill with a 511b? Whats the consensus on this?

Boy I got the 511b's just sitting atop my Cornwall and the characteristics of the room have changed very noticeably.

its almost like an echo. taking the adaptors and a horn to work today to mount them up, I will stop at the hardware store and pickup some screws and such and go at it tonight

TRiv,

The crossover should theoretically be midified to move the crossover from 600 Hz down to 500 Hz. 400 Hz is really only a requirement for the Khorn woofer. I think a 100 Hz change is more trouble than it's worth. I think I would leave it at 600 and call it done!

Al K.

Al,

With that suggestion in mind, your ALK type B would be fine/great for the application of a Cornwall with a 511b midhorn....right?

Also, do you think the Altec 811b can handle down to 600Hz if a network such as your ALK B is used?

One more. You used the 811b's in your Belles for some time. Is there a reason you used those as opposed to the 511b's? I was wondering if the sound was similar between the 511 and 811. The reason for these questions is that members are drooling over the 511 idea and I wonder if the same result could be achieved with an 811. That horn is smaller and you could come up with more appealing mounting arrangements.

Thanxs in advance Boss.

jc

does anyone know what the screw size would be if I were to block the k-77 hole with 3/4" plywood? What is the current leangth and diameter? Bob?

with the Banana plug adapter sold by parts express what size hole do you drill?

I dont have time to look it all up today

thanks

Such a thick piece of plywood is not necessary, masonite or luann plywood would be sufficient and allow you to use the original screws, for an even better seal some thin (1/8") adhesive backed window or door insulation could be used.

With the direction that you are headed it would perhaps be better to build a Cornscala cabinet that will allow you direct access to the crossover network and keep the HRM's all original. You could sell them to finance the cabinet and new components required, the 511b's you already have.

You would just need (2) K-77, K-77M, Beyma B25's, EV T350's, JBL 2404's (1) K-33E, you have a spare already, a pair of custom networks that you had already planned on purchasing, and lastly a pair of K-55V's, Atlas PD5H or equivalent.

So many ideas, so little time.

Travis,

Most of the drivers are held in place by #10 round head screws. They are actually sheet metal screws on every one I've seen. You'd want a length to go through your 3/4" blank and into the motor board say about halfway. So I'd get 1" or 1 1/4 screws x #10.

For the gold Dayton Audio Banana jacks that I got #091-1245, I used a 19/64 drill bit for a nice tight fit. You don't want them to wobble around. The last bit I tamped in by inverting a socket over the knurled knob and tapping with hammer.

post-10755-13819276518324_thumb.jpg

Thanks Michael,

well guys,I got one roughed in, I would like to say I am going to wait till tomorrow for the other because I want to evaluate yada yada.... but I am just too tired plus I used my other piece of plywood to mount the k-77 to the first. I got some wiring to do and further ideas for asthetics. The k-77 is on the inside because I am lazy and will probly be moved to the outside.

post-16943-13819276524594_thumb.jpg

looking good, trav. ups says mine will be here thursday, but they usually come a day early.

i ordered my partsexpress selenium adapters sunday, but they still havent shipped out yet. going to suck having the horns and not being able to use them :(

thanks tofu, it did take a bit to get them. Al was dead on with his picture for mounting them. I am really happy how they mounted up!! One thing I did was use a razor blade to cut a pie slice out of the foam adhered to the adaptor and removing it before drilling.

Travisc,

I had been neglecting this thread. Sorry I'm late!

I would NOT try to run the Altec 811b horn down to 600 Hz. I ran a set at 700Hz with and extreme-slope network and had no trouble at all in my Belles. I think the Cornwall woofer would not mind going up to 700Hz. I would go with an 811b crossed at 700 Hz. My ES700T should work ok in the Cornwall. You would need another crossover at 6000 Hz to run the tweeter though.

Al K.

Al,

where ya been?[:)] Um that is a 511b and I would like to know how low I should go? I think I read somewhere that you said 400 is a little low, how about 500. Thats a nice #

basically any thoughts that you feel like dumping in this thread will be surely welcome.

Travisc,

I had been neglecting this thread. Sorry I'm late!

I would NOT try to run the Altec 811b horn down to 600 Hz. I ran a set at 700Hz with and extreme-slope network and had no trouble at all in my Belles. I think the Cornwall woofer would not mind going up to 700Hz. I would go with an 811b crossed at 700 Hz. My ES700T should work ok in the Cornwall. You would need another crossover at 6000 Hz to run the tweeter though.

Al K.

Al, I'm the one who asked that question. Thanks.

Did you find that the 811b sounded like the 511b?

jc