K Horns in bad corners. . .how bad?

tidmack

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the LS is rated the SAME sensitivity (104db 1w x 1m) as the Khorn! That is, within its given bandpass.

This is true EXCEPT that the LS drops off rapidly below 60Hz whereas the Khorn goes down to approx. 35Hz for the same rating. The Khorn uses a different midrange horn, too, which has different dispersion characteristics from the LS (let alone its height). It's an altogether different animal.

DM

Just a curiosity. I was corrected when it was noted that turning up the bass volume will not emulate the greater "balance" perceived with the K-Horn because the LaScala goes down to only 80hz (or 65 or whatever) and the K-Horn goes down to 35hz or whatever. I see a valid argument there. Am wondering, however, why this "bass" issue is not easily corrected with a different cross-over for the LaScala. The speakers use the same woofer, so it seems something must be filtering out the LaScala's ability to go down as deep.

I owned Belles previously and now own Khorns. My Khorns are not in proper corners currently and they simply blow away my Belles and all of the La Scalas that I have heard! I had the same concerns when I got rid of my Belles.

Go for the Khorns and don't worry about corners! - you can always add the corners later. The performance of Khorns freestanding in a room will demolish a pair of La Scalas.

Jeff ... it's the cut-off of the horn ....fc

Duke, I get it, and then, I don't. I can sort of picture a sound wave going through a horn, and that the shape of the horn might affect the frequencies that it will allow to traverse it. Right?

If so, why is it that direct radiators go deeper with no horn, and K-Horns go deeper with a bigger horn?

If the horn effects the frequency so much, then, wouldn't KHorns be better as direct radiators? [*-)]

Sorry for the delay, but here are some pics of my room. The room is appx. 12 X 20, has 8 ceilings and hardwood floors. The two corner pics show the only two corners I can put K horns in (one of the long walls). The other pic shows my other long wall with my current setup and no corners due to the hallway and entrance to my kitchen. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Based on current input and my own desire (only Heritage speaker I havent owned!) I'm nearly certain the K Horns will be the way I go, but how's this for hijacking my own thread: For those that went to the last Klipsch gathering, how much better do the new LaScalas sound than other versions? I currently run 84's with stock AA networks. I've owned two pairs of LaScalas, several Cornwalls, and two pairs of Heresys and the LaScalas have always blown me away. From what I've read in other threads, the Scala II's are improved, but can anyone who owns Scalas do a comparison for me? Thanks

Tid

Based on the limited info provided, I tend towards the Klipschorn option. Having experienced both the La Scala and the Klipschorn in my home, I think the La Scala is outstanding as a high end loudspeaker. If you introduce quality subs - you'll have a system to die for. BUT, if you have the option to buy Klipschorns cheap, go for it. In my opinion they are a totally different ball-game even compared to the La Scala with a quality sub.

Some say the La Scala offers 90% of the sound quality of a Klipschorn. That may be correct. But that 10% improvement in sound quality is hard won and very difficult to achieve without spending many thousands of $$$.

You can keep the La Scalas, buy the Klipschorns now, and buy the subs later if you want. Hey, you could have the basis of an outstanding multi channel system for the future.

Actually, the LS is rated the SAME sensitivity (104db 1w x 1m) as the Khorn! That is, within its given bandpass.

This is true EXCEPT that the LS drops off rapidly below 60Hz whereas the Khorn goes down to approx. 35Hz for the same rating. The Khorn uses a different midrange horn, too, which has different dispersion characteristics from the LS (let alone its height). It's an altogether different animal.

DM

I have to say it......This is hogwash! The Khorn starts dropping off long before 35Hz even in a perfectly sealed corner. If your going to rate speakers then I suggest you rate them on the same scale. While yes the Lascala out in a open field may start dropping off at 60 hz so would a Khorn.

I swear this place is become home of the black and white specification.

DM nothing personally I just had the rant one of those days.

Craig

Sorry for the delay, but here are some pics of my room. The room is appx. 12 X 20, has 8 ceilings and hardwood floors. The two corner pics show the only two corners I can put K horns in (one of the long walls). The other pic shows my other long wall with my current setup and no corners due to the hallway and entrance to my kitchen. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Based on current input and my own desire (only Heritage speaker I havent owned!) I'm nearly certain the K Horns will be the way I go, but how's this for hijacking my own thread: For those that went to the last Klipsch gathering, how much better do the new LaScalas sound than other versions? I currently run 84's with stock AA networks. I've owned two pairs of LaScalas, several Cornwalls, and two pairs of Heresys and the LaScalas have always blown me away. From what I've read in other threads, the Scala II's are improved, but can anyone who owns Scalas do a comparison for me? Thanks

Tid

I've heard both and yes the new ones are an improvement but not huge! If you own Lascalas and they blow you away you may not even like Khorns. From the mid bass down they are very different speakers. Lascalas sound very live like in every respect while the Klipschorns bass tends to surround you in the room similar to a well mated and tuned subwoofer with lascalas[;)] I personally spent way to much time listening the live music and to my tatse lascalas deliver exactly what I prefer. I think in the end the only way your ever going to know for sure what suits you best is to give the Khorn's whirl.

Craig

Btw, an improperly sealed khorn that is still in the corner should see

very little if any LF losses, but will most certainly have a large

suckout in the 300Hz region.

I vote for mating a very potent subwoofer with the lascalas (like the

Ultra2 subs). You will get far far superior low-end (similar distortion

and SPL, but a whole octave lower), while also maintining the better

lower-mids of the lascala.

Even with perfect corners I think you would find the Ultra2's +

lascalas would still be a close competition with khorns (In fact, I

would lean away from the khorns).

One other approach you might consider would be to sell off the lascalas

and get yourself a pair of jubilees. Not only should they sound better,

but you'll also become instantly very popular on the forum [;)]

Hey D-Man the Scala and k-horn have the same mid horn ..I wont take sides but just wanted to clear this up...That was the main reason i bought LaScalas new in 1980 because of the same top end as the big brother K-Horn and when the Scala was A-B to a Belle the Scala sounded better to me in the voice area.Rick

Get the KHorns and if you like the La Scalas better sell the KHorns!!

I have 2004 La Scalas and I have heard a pair of KHorns and they both sounded incredible!! It comes down to personal choice on how you like your bass to sound. TO ME the La Scalas sounds the most like live music. If the really low bass is a must a sub would be required with the La Scalas or just try the KHorns. If your not worried about the really low bass and don't have alot of money the La Scalas is a very good option instead of the KHorn. But if you have the money and corners for KHorns then go for it. If not try the LA Scalas or Belles or Cornwall until you find what is right for you and your listening taste.

This whole arguement is silly: the KHORN's bass goes lower and sounds better to alot of people. The La Scalas bass does not go as deep as the KHorns but there are alot of people who love them and the way they sound including the bass.

If somebody says the La Scalas sound like buzzsaws then I believe they think the LS are too bright and harsh and that is their opinion. My opinion is that the La Scalas can take more work tweaking and setting up to get the best performance from them if you want lower bass.

Xman