Frustration setting in

JeffDurbin

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an utter load of horse manure!! To equivocate reading the sports page at the dinner table to having soft music playing in the background is absurd.

But maybe this guy was humming or whistling tunelessly while he was reading! Now that would be irritating.

I admit I like listening to soft music in the evening during dinner. A little light jazz or some baroque, and a bottle of red...

I have a gizmo at home that is a wireless amp system that would probably be just the ticket for you. Basically one part plugs into the back of the pre and the other part into the speakers. I do not know if the range will be enough though - something you would have to play with - but I guess there are a number of products out there that would do the job.

Wireless is definitely going to be the cheapest and easiest option here - IF IT WORKS.

Another vote here to cut the drywall. It is FAR harder to do the trim

right than it is to patch a few holes in drywall. Heck, take the

opportunity to add some electrical outlets at the same time and you

don't even need to patch the drywall!

"old work" boxes are easy to

install, just do a good job of cutting the hole in the wall in the

first place and you are done. If you don't need more outlets (I don't

believe you don't for a second!) then just use blank face plates. If

all the work is done at the same level as existing outlets, no one

will give the blank covers a second look.

is anyone else tired os seeing this julieheartklipsch try to inforce her view of how and when music should be played, and listened to ?????? ill have you know i am listening to background music while im typing this response (a little pink floyd the wall)

hey jullie ever heard the saying if you have nothing nice to say keep quiet, or in this case if you have no constructive views on how to help with the question asked. You get the point im sure!!!!!!! several of your last responses to threads have been to bash things you pretend to have a clue about (albums suck, more than 1 pair speakers, now background music)

now on with the question at hand, does your basement have any crown moulding????? if not run your wires down into the basement and tack them tightly in the corner get some small profile trim and cover the wires there.

Joe

is anyone else tired os seeing this

julieheartklipsch try to inforce her view of how and when music should

be played, and listened to ?????? ill have you know i am

listening to background music while im typing this response (a little

pink floyd the wall)

hey jullie ever heard the saying if

you have nothing nice to say keep quiet, or in this case if

you have no constructive views on how to help with the question

asked. You get the point im sure!!!!!!! several of

your last responses to threads have been to bash things you pretend to

have a clue about (albums suck, more than 1 pair speakers, now

background music)

now on with the question at hand, does your

basement have any crown moulding????? if not run your wires down

into the basement and tack them tightly in the corner get some

small profile trim and cover the wires there.

Joe

Joe,

JHK is yanking your chain and probably enjoying your irritation. She is

a male forum member who has an alternate ID. I do not know why the

moderators allow this, since they know who she is. To my

understanding forum participants are

allowed to have a single ID. I guess however, the moderators depend on

forum members participating on the honor system. I do not suggest

that this man dresses in women's clothes. I do however, have no clue

why he would enjoy presenting himself as a woman on this forum. Perhaps

because he can? Go figure.

Wow, I'm flattered by the number of responses to this thread. I am starting to view the project as a challenge that needs to be met and accomplished rather than just punted on.

However, your fantastic comments have given me some excuse to reexamine my previous plans on how to execute the project.

I really have two eventual projects. The immediate one is to route my speaker wire into the dining room for my RCW-5s. But, I also will want to improve the cabling within my family room for my main system. Removing the crown molding along the back wall in my study lets me take wires through the drywall from the family room to the study and then I can route them back and forth across the width of the room and hide everything behind the crown molding. In terms of going from the front of the family room to the back of the family room, I can use fish tape and run them through the ceiling between the joists.

If I use the baseboards then I need to route the wiring up and around the entrance to the study and the front entry and the entrance to the dining room. I could see that doubling the length of my cable run. We have a damask wallpaper in our foyer, which I would like to replace with a faux limestone block paint job but that is a much bigger project, so I want to make sure I don't do anything to mess that up for the time being.

If I take it through the floor into the basement then I need to cut into the ceiling drywall every 16" to drill through the joists and feed it through the holes. Drywall patching is a piece of cake and I have done it so many times I'm a pro at it but that's a pain in the butt.

I suppose the one new suggestion that I should really think about some more is going to the attic and dropping the cable two stories. The real problem with that is drilling holes through the subfloor between story one and story two and routing the cable through it.

Hmm. Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions. I will make a point of taking lots of pictures and posting my results.

If I take it through the

floor into the basement then I need to cut into the ceiling drywall

every 16" to drill through the joists and feed it through the

holes. Drywall patching is a piece of cake and I have done it so

many times I'm a pro at it but that's a pain in the butt...............

Actually, no you don't. A 4' long flexible drill with a hole in the end

so you can use it to pull wires with, runs about $35 and is worth it's

weight in gold when pulling wires. I think you can even get 3'

extensions for them, that will give you 7 feet of run between holes.

You just need to be sure you are not going to drill any of the house

wiring in half as you go[:$]

If I take it through the floor into the basement then I need to cut into the ceiling drywall every 16" to drill through the joists and feed it through the holes. Drywall patching is a piece of cake and I have done it so many times I'm a pro at it but that's a pain in the butt...............

Actually, no you don't. A 4' long flexible drill with a hole in the end so you can use it to pull wires with, runs about $35 and is worth it's weight in gold when pulling wires. I think you can even get 3' extensions for them, that will give you 7 feet of run between holes. You just need to be sure you are not going to drill any of the house wiring in half as you go[:$]

Wow, I first read that as 4 inches and not 4 feet. You're saying to drill through all the joists and then attach the speaker wire to the end of the drill and pull it back through the joists with the drill? I have some concern about possibly hitting wiring as I go through the joists but not nearly as much concern as I would if I were going through the walls. Thanks.

I would really think about this.

All the trouble for the dining room.

Are we talking formal dinner room that you are going to use twice a year or is where you are going to be eating everynight?

When I moved into my new house I was going to have speakers everywhere, but that slowy wore off.

I don't know your setup, but if you have carpet you can push the wire underneath the baseboard. if you have hardwood, no room.

If it's that big of a hassel I'd look at either a boombox or a "shelf system". Some thing small and out of the way. it's not like you are going to have people really listening to it and going great hi's pass the green beans.

When I eat at my parents house she uses a CD player that we bought her to mount underneath the counter. It's just loud enough so you can barely hear it, but you can hear everyone talking.

Ok,Julie talked it over with Beth and they both agreed it wasn't a good idea. Now who is Beth?

Good luck and if you are getting frustrated before you even started I'd really think about this somemore. But then I have a 45" TV in my dining room. If I want music when i eat i turn on the car stereo.

Danny