Do Bose suck?

JerrySVT

I was recently talking to a new-hire at work about my love for music and HT, and I obviously mentioned my prized Klipsch Heritage speakers. When he replied, "Well, I'm sort of spoiled by Bose" I knew it was time to just change the subject...

Some people are just beyond help. Smile.gif

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Ross stay and FIGHT! Fight for sound quality and show'em who is boss. Smile.gif

Its very true to say,sometimes you try to help and you end up as the bad guy.I met many individuals who think Bo$e is the next greatest thing after sliced bread!

I can see brainwash is still legal today!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

My mom loves her Bose systemcwm8.gif !!! She also hates my system and going out to movies. Mom claims my Klipsch system has "too much sound." All that noise bothers herWink.gif

------------------

A/V AMP: Yamaha DSP-A1

DVD: Pioneer DV-606D

CDP: Denon DCM-370

MAIN: Klipsch Heresey II

CTR: Klipsch KSF-C5

REAR: Infinity SM-65

(crap)

SUB: Infinity BU-1 (crap)

This message has been edited by Rob Curran on 10-21-2001 at 08:47 AM

I'd put it another way - I've never really known anyone I would consider an audiophile or audio expert to say "I prefer Bose" or even for the money choose Bose first. It seems to me that people who are "yuppies" or concerned mostly about aesthetics or just looking for a new sound system do like the Bose systems. Hey, they do sound pretty good, and all that sound from a cube? How could you go wrong?

Here's the answer: Just put them to a sound test comparison with other speakers. Go to a friend's house that has a well chosen AND set up Klipsch system. Doesn't even have to be the top-end equipment. IMNSHO, Klipsch gives a much fuller and well-rounded sound. ESPECIALLY for movies.

(Okay, I gotta throw in my stuff too, now, right?)

Wild Blue

'92 3000GT VR-4

575 Horsepower

All Wheel Drive

All Wheel Steering (yes, all 4 wheels turn)

Too many modifications to list (bigger turbochargers, intercoolers, fuel system, intake, exhaust, electronics, etc)

"too much sound."

cwm27.gif

That takes the cake,the RF-7's will have why TOOOO much sound.I have to get a Bo$e Acou$ticMe$$ system now!

I guess the Krell amps have too much power and quality then,time for a change I will get a AIWA $99 reciever.

HGS-18,too much sub bass.Creative PC Works "sub" welcome back.

Grado RS-1's too uch wood in these headphones,good morning CookieMonster FisherPrice blueberry headphones.

cwm3.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Here's one for smiles ... I have a pair of '76 Khorns in the basement and a pair of Bose AM-5's in the living room. Sounds like the set up is bass-ackwards?

Actually, my wife has been very good about all this ... I took over the family room, put in custom cabinets and wet bar, all sized to my Belle center, Cornwall fronts and Heresy rears. System rocks. When she saw the size of the Khorns when they came through the door, her hair went straight up (a.k.a. VHF, "vertical hair factor") and said, "Not in MY living rooom!"

Anyway, plan to refinish those babies, make some temporary walls for them, and crank them up in the basement. She'll hear them, see them, and will living room will be mine! Smile.gif

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

"Too Much Sound".

Yes, that does bring up an interesting point. Unless they're broken, for the MOST part, speakers only produce the sound that is fed to them from the amplifier. It just depends on how much of that sound they produce, and in what way.

I've found my Klipsch speakers to be so amazing and sensitive (KLF-30, C-7, etc) that they will show EVERY flaw in a CD or movie. Hiss, small background noises I never noticed before, etc. It makes me frustrated that some of my favorite CDs and movies for the songs or storylines have these flaws in the background that distract. That's the ONLY way I could see someone justifying the statement "Too much sound", that they want to keep their head in the sand and not get the side effect of hearing source flaws with the extra good sounds.

Other than that, "Too Much Sound" to me is like too much horsepower, or too much money in my pocket, or too many supermodels beating down my door, or... (keep on dreaming)

It seems to me that Klipsch has always offered excellent value ... consistently beating out the competition. I don't believe there has ever been a better speaker for the money than the Klipschorn. I think the same is true of most of the recent Klipsch designs ... they are designed to compete in today's market and offer great value for the consumer. Today's market for all consumer products is over hyped with too much emphasis on relatively unimportant features, over bloated claims and gimmickry. Appearance is more important than reality. The consumer tends to buy the package, the name, rather than the substance. Thus a plain tee shirt costs a fraction of the price of the same tee shirt with an over hyped designers name. In this world of image over substance Klipsch is doing fine.

• 1 year later...

I cannot believe all of these BOSE bashing...you guys really upset me...how can you people say that BOSE sucks? BOSE make some of the "finest" speakers in the world...don't believe it? just ask my "self-proclaim" musician (and lawyer) friend...he will attest to the "greatness" of BOSE...see if Klipsch can make a cube speaker that can match the "quality" of a BOSE cube that will cost less...you people are unbelievable...

Klipsch already has. Its called a Quintet. If you take the double cubes, its basically the same size as a Quintet speaker. Plus the Quintet scores extra points for being ready to mount on a wall and not needing to spend an extra $100.00 for mounting kits.

Quintets with KSW10 sub is $899.00 which is cheaper then your $999.00 Acoustimass system. With Quintets, you get a much better speaker with a tweeter and a horn unlike BOSE's 2 little paper cone drivers.

Go read this one guys's review and analysis of Bose: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Most people even Bose supporters admit to weak mid range and weak bass. I guess 2/3 of the sound being weak is not enough for people to admit they have an inferior equipment. I guess if you get some highs, thats the true definition of a good system.

Lastly, the reason Bose gets so much heat here is the ridiculous product for ridiculous prices. You want something good for your $$. If the BOSE was $300.00, no one would complain at all and people would probably commend what a good job a $300.00 system is able to do. However, its not $300.00, its $999.00-$1599.00. When you are able to compare other companies... you will see its all hype.

Lastly, what do you expect on a Klipsch forum besides people who dislike BOSE. Its like you go to a chevrolet corvette forum and wonder why people hate the ford mustang....

I'm almost afraid to say this but here goes....

I worked for Bose for 5 months in 1978 at their Framingham, Ma. headquarters,(I was 20yo at the time) first on their assembly line making the drivers for the Bose 901 series III. I lasted about one month applying epoxy to hold the dust cap on the cone of each driver, we managed to assemble about 1000 units a day.

When I complained about the intolerable bordom they assigned me to the model 601 assembly line.

I lasted four months doing a variety of tasks on that line.

Now... here is my very biased opinion of the Bose product then and now.

I believe that back in 1978 and now in 2003 that when you weigh price vs. product from Bose, They are way way over priced, excluding the model 601 speakers that I manufactured in 1978 and the original model 301's from the same era.

Every other product they put their name on that I've auditioned is too pricey for what you're actually getting.

In 1978 the only component that they made themselves was the 901 driver, I wonder how many parts they make now and how much of they're so called "advanced technology" is farmed out to separate R&D facilities.

Bose is a wonderfully successful business from a marketing standpoint but when it comes to delivering quality vs. price it Blose!

Last observation... I bought a pair of 601's in 1978 before I left Bose, I never had any problems till the foam surrounds on the woofers rotted out of them about 5 years ago. Last month I bought a foam surround replacement kit from an eBay site for $32.00, I took my time rebuilding the woofers and now my 601's sound as good as the day I brought them home.

Except for their finicky placement issues they are a fine example of quality vs. price!

By the way... the 601's are only deserving to be part of my system in my basement workshop. KLIPSCH rules in my house now!

I wasn't gonna jump in but I had an incident at the Kaufhoff (German Dapartment Store in Trier, GE)and its something I have to share.

All I wanted to do was listen to a pioneer VSX-D2011s and a denon 2803 they had on display and note the differences. Anyway the female audio tech working there was helping a European guy in a suit pick out a system (demoing bose). I waited 45 minutes for her to finish with him before I could ask her for help and overheard their closing words.......Zwei tousend, acht-hundert, neun und neunzisch EURO = over 3,000 US dollars.

Yes this female just took over 3,000 dollars from this man for for bose 6.1 (unknown model) and then she came to me... I asked myself what kind of sales person could talk her way into making a 3,000 dollar sale.

A dvd 1600 was hooked up to 2803, I asked if she had any DVD audio material (a large sign was advertising it) and she told me it was not possible because no tv was hooked up. She then said the klipsch sf-1, sc5,ss5 sitting in the corner were not hooked up but I could listen through some Infinity Floorstanding speakers (German model). Ok lets begin

She said the pioneer was superior because......get ready....as she points to the front panel (under the fold down face).....it has more buttons. I said Its better because it has more button? She looked me dead in the face and said YES. She then said the denon cannot come CLOSE to the pionner in "loudness". she said the pioneer on level 30 is much louder than the denon on 30. I COULD NOT CONTAIN MY STATE OF SHOCK, WAS SHE SERIOUS? The 2803 volume control is in increments of .5, the pioneer in 1. I had to leave before she could start on the subject of Bose.

For a MUCH cheaper price, somewhere along the lines of mainstream HTIB sets from kenwood, JVC, Panasonic, ETC, yes bose is not bad. But for the price, the buyer is definatly getting the short end of the stick.

I would like to see a review of the new RX speakers (RCX-4, RSX-4 and RSX-5)and how they compare to bo$e. I have not seen em in person but they look compact and definitely win in the style department.

Im considering doing a HT with the RX speakers, as a studet i cant afford the bigboys, but besides that I really like the style of RX speakers. However I might cheat and get an SVS sub =P and not the RW

audiobahn_99

Thats a good one. It reminds me of the time I purchased my Pioneer vsx45tx. I took it home and hooked it all up, my HT system is non Klipsch, but all Def Tech. The family room is two stories high and opens up to a kitchen. needless to say the sound was NOT room filling.

The next day I called Tweeter and spoke to a female sales rep on the phone and explained my situation, her response was "the receiver had to break in". I returned the 45 for the 47 and all is better.

Tom