Holy Cow The New Klipsch Heresy III's are awesome!!!!!!! UPDATE With pics of x-overs 12-23-05

htxpert

Update see photos of x-overs on page #2

Just received my demo pair or cherry Heresy III's and set them up in a 2-channel rig

Popped in some Patricia Barber Cafe Blue, All I can say is WoW!! These new Heresy III's with the new Mid and Tweeter sound absolutely amazing they are substantially better than the older Heresy and those were pretty good.

These new Heresy's are little pricey but IMOHO they are more than worth the extra cost. I plan on setting up a complete Heresy III 5.1 system for HT and Multi-Channel Audio applications. If you get a chance give these a demo you will be shocked and delighted

Happy Holidays

The tweeter and mid horn has also been upgraded :)

The only thing I miss is the Mahogany finish. Sadly for some odd reason it has been discontinued I have allways believed that it was the nicest looking on the Heresy.

I liked the Mahogany too. I just bought a pair last spring. They are beautiful although the walnut probably goes with greater variety of decor. Look at the itty bitty crossover in them though...

post-15692-13819278320404_thumb.jpg

The caps are polyesters and run between one and three dollars each. The sandcast resistors cost about a quarter a piece and are used in place of an autoformer to pad down the tweeter and the midrange. An autoformer costs more than all of those parts combined. I don't see any air core inductors, though I hope there is at least one tucked away on the other side of the network for the tweeter. The most expensive parts for those networks are the PCBs and molded terminal cups.

EDIT POST

There seems to be a discrepency in the H III crossover photos. I've asked Trey to see if the photo he posted from engineering at Hope is indeed what should be used in the H III production. If the other posted photo is of a H III crossover as recently delivered, something is amiss.

Michael

What I said related to Rick's comment about the networks adding a big chunk to the cost, not the complete performance package that the speakers bring. I heard them in Indy and thought they sounded great. Nobody HAS to do a network upgrade, which from my perspective generally relates to raising the parts quality. It does make a difference, but I believe it makes the difference it does because Klipsch speakers sound damn good to begin with. No amount of parts upgrading is going to help a new speaker that sounds bad from the get-go.

Just read your PM, now I understand your confusion. The first picture IS of the new HIII networks, the second picture is the network of the HII. Notice the autoformer at the bottom of the terminal cup. The Heresy II network is similiar to the other older networks -- low order. Also, when you attenuate with an autoformer the reflected impedance back to the amplifier goes up, which means the values for the caps on the input side of the autoformer go down -- so that's why you see such small caps on that thing. The new filters are higher order filters, so you have more elements, and no autoformer means the caps are going to be bigger.

Oh yes, the picture of the itty bitty crossover is from the pair of Heresy II that I bought last spring. I opened them up a while back to look at the foam inside and was surprised to see that cheap little guy in there. Cheap crossover or not, they still sound wonderful.

HOPEfully, if 2006 is kind to me, I'll be able to buy a pair of HIII's and hear the difference!