Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Dec. 26

grog

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

Got this one for Chirstmas from my lovely wife....

Jack Bruce - Songs for a Tailor [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED] [iMPORT]

Audio CD - Released March 25, 2003

01. Never Tell Your Mother She's Out of Tune

02. Theme from an Imaginary Western

03. Tickets to Waterfalls

04. Weird of Hermiston

05. Rope Ladder to the Moon

06. Ministry of Bag

07. He the Richmond

08. Boston Ball Game 1967

09. To Isengard

10. Clearout

11. Ministry of Bag [#][*][Demo Version]

12. Weird of Hermiston [Alternate Mix] [Alternative Mix][#][*]

13. Clearout [Alternate Mix] [Alternative Mix][#][*]

14. Ministry of Bag [Alternate Mix] [Alternative Mix][#][*]

Greg's pick: Track #2 - Theme from an Imaginary Western

Remastered reissue of the ex-Cream bassist's 1969 solo album debut. Includes four previously unreleased bonus tracks, 'Ministry Of Bag' (Demo), 'Weird Of Hermiston' (Alternate Mix), 'The Clearout' (Alternate Mix), & 'Ministry Of Bag' (Alternate Mix). 14 tracks in all. Includes enhanced packaging. Polydor. 2003.

Over the years since Cream, Jack has worked with many fine musicians. For a number of years he played in Robin Trower's band (The album 'BLT' gets its name from the the initial letters of the musicians Jack Bruce, Bill Lordan and Robin Trower, who recorded it).

In 1972-73, he joined with Leslie West and Corky Laing (formerly of the hard rock band Mountain) to form the trio West, Bruce and Laing. They produced two studio albums, Why Dontcha and Whatever turns you on, and a live album called Live 'N' Kickin'.

He has also collaborated with jazz greats like Tony Williams, John McLaughlin, and Carla Bley (on the Escalator Over the Hill album). His initial solo albums after Cream were Songs For a Tailor (with players like Chris Spedding, John Hiseman, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Art Themen and George Harrison), Harmony Row and Into The Storm, then he diversified into jazz again. He later spent time playing as part of Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band.

Bruce continued touring and recording through the late 1990s. In the early 2000s he had a sustained period of declining health, and in the summer of 2003 was diagnosed with liver cancer. Bruce underwent a liver transplant in September of 2003 which nearly proved fatal as his body initially rejected the new organ. He has since recovered from this setback and in May 2005 reunited with former bandmates Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker for a series of concerts at London's Royal Albert Hall and New York's Madison Square Garden. Jack The Biography of Jack Bruce by Steven Myatt is due for an autumn 2005 release.

So what do you have to share this week?

post-17133-13819278496992_thumb.jpg

My pick of the week -- one of my Christmas gifts <because I was very good this year [;)]>

Another great volume of Soul/R&B from the soundtrack "The

Commitments". 7 of the 11 tracks are previously unreleased so, if

you have the original cd -- this will finish the collection

wonderfully!

(hey Sputnik - this is a must have!!).

The Commitments Vol 2

1. Hard To Handle

2. Grits Ain't Groceries

3. I Thank You

4. That's The Way Love Is

5. Show Me

6. Saved

7. Too Many Fish In The Sea

8. Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)

9. Land Of A Thousand Dances

10. Nowhere To Run

11. Bring It On Home To Me

post-18644-13819278541262_thumb.jpg

This was Sun Ra's first LP--originally released on the Transition label in 1956 and then reissued by Delmark in the 1960's. For those of you who were introduced to Sun Ra in the late 60's and think of his music as really "OUT," this album will be a revelation. This is big-band bop with TIGHT arrangements played by a well rehearsed and EXTREMELY talented group of musicians, including tenor John Gilmore (one of the greatest tenor saxophone players EVER), baritone Pat Patrick and trombone Julian Preister.

This was the session that started a four decade musical journey by one of the most gifted and misunderstood leaders in the history of the music.

This album is in print and available on CD through all the usual sources!

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=009225401010706900&cid=600111

B000004BEZ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Got this as a Christmas gift.

d4913998175.jpg

Liquid Tension Experiment 2 on CD

1: Acid Rain

2: Biaxident

3: 914

4: Another Demension

5: When The Water Breaks

6: Chewbacca

7: Liquid Dreams

8: Hourglass

Tony Levin, Bass (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel and many more)

John Petrucci, Guitar (Dream Theater)

Mike Portnoy, Drums (Dream Theater)

Jordan Rudess, Keyboards (Dixie Dreggs, Dream Theater)

"A sort of instrumental prog rock/prog metal super group , Liquid Tension issued it's self titled debute in 1998 and regrouped the following year for Liquid Tension Experiment 2" Allmusic.com

Thanks for putting this up Grog, wouldn't want a week to go by without our music fix.

This ones a repeat but worth metioning again. I've been enjoying it a lot lately.

"Tower of Song, the Songs of Leonard Cohen", various artists, cd, rock/peotry

Although most of his musings boil down to sex, I consider Cohen to be

one of our greatest modern poets. It's amazing how many people

over the years have taken his songs and turned them into hits.

Examples? How about: don Henley's version of "Everybody

Knows", Willie Nelson and "Bird on a Wire", Aron Neville, "Ain't

No Cure for Love, Sting and Chieftans upbeat "Sisters of Mercy", Bono's

killer cut of "Hallelujah" and Suzanne Vegas take on "Story of

Issac". Very well recorded.

Speaking of sex, it's perfectly understandable to see all the Forum

hotties stopping by a thread created the ever-great Thebes.

Say where you'd you find that frying pan? 12" cast iron, must

weigh a ton, oh boy is that going to hurt. You wouldn't hit a guy

wearing a NOW button would you?

Depeche Mode's "Playing The Angel" - synth pop/rock CD.

Chevelle's "This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In" - hardrock/metal CD.

Kent's "Isola" and "Hagnesta Hill" - melodic, experimental pop/rock CD's from a Swedish band that, after not making it with their English albums in America, returned to Sweden and continued producing albums sung in Swedish.

Well Christmas was very good here and I got one more rare CD to share.

Imagine if you will a live concert with not only Ginger Baker but a who's who of major rock stars including "Graham Bond", "Stevie Winwood" and "Chris Wood" who later was in the group Traffic.

Also imagine if you can Ginger Baker playing with two other drummers who's skills were something that had to be seen and heard.
Neemoi Acquaye was called speedy and played later with Paul McCartney & Wings on the CD "BACK TO THE EGG". The other drummer "Phil Seaman".

Baker's idol during the late '50s was Phil Seaman, a jazz drummer who was probably the best percussion player in England; his own playing tended toward an aggressiveness and articulation that were unusual in juxtaposition with each other.

http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/ginger1.htm
http://musicbase.h1.ru/PPB/ppb8/Bio_871.htm

AIR FORCE - Live At The Royal Albert Hall
Recorded live at London's Royal Albert Hall, January 15th, 1970.

1. Da Da Man 7:13
2. Early In the Morning 11:14
3. Don´t Care 12:28
4. Toad 12:58
5. Aiko Biaye 13:00
6. Man Of Constant Sorrow 3:55
7. Do What You Like 11:39
8. Doin´ It 5:29

Greg's Pick: Aiko Biaye

CD running time 78:08
Cherry Red, Lemon Recordings, CD LEM 22, 2004

Ginger Baker - drums
Graham Bond - alto sax, organ, vocals & piano
Steve Gregory - tenor sax & flute
Bud Beadle - baritone, alto & soprano sax
Ken Craddok - piano, organ, guitar & vocals
Colin Gibson - bass guitar
Neemoi Acquaye - african drums, perc.
Aliki Ashman - vocals
Dianne Stewart - vocals
Rick Grech - bass
Harold McNair - alto sax, flute
Denny Laine - guitar, vocals
Catherina James - vocals
Stevie Winwood - organ & vocals
Chris Wood - flute
Remi Kabaka - percussion
Phil Seaman - drums
Jeanette Jacobs - vocals

This is a must have CD. Searching the who's who list of those who were part of the Ginger Baker Air Force show just how significant this perfomace was in the history of rock as we know it today.

post-17133-13819278658872_thumb.jpg

"Tower of Song, the Songs of Leonard Cohen"

I'm starting to believe that thebes and Sputnik are one in the

same.....could there be 2 fans of Leonard Cohen left on the

planet? LOL -- just joshing y'all!!

Wow, I could never be Thebes - that twin-satisfying, bon vivant,

society wag, and (I suspect) espionage mercenary. I could never

keep pace in such a glamorous lifestyle - I just got back from a week

literally in the middle of nowhere and that was plenty exciting for

me. I liked The Commitments Volume I so I'll get Volume II.

As for Leonard Cohen, I discovered his music through Judy

Collins. I wanted to be a groupie for Judy Collins. My pick

for the week is "Colors of the Day" by Judy Collins. Over the

last week or so in the back country, these are among the songs that I

could still hear.

Colors of the Day: The Best of Judy Collins

1972 Elektra - Gold

Someday Soon

Since You've Asked

Both Sides Now

Sons of

Suzanne

Farewell to Tarwathie

Who Knows Where the Time Goes

Sunny Goodge Street

My Father

Albatross

In my life

Amazing Grace

This album features "Suzanne" by Leonard Cohen

"Suzanne takes you down to her place near the river

You can hear the boats go by

You can spend the night beside her

And you know that she's half crazy

But that's why you want to be there

And she feeds you tea and oranges

That come all the way from China......"

Good stuff.

post-17394-13819278661562_thumb.jpg

"Tower of Song, the Songs of Leonard Cohen"

I'm starting to believe that thebes and Sputnik are one in the

same.....could there be 2 fans of Leonard Cohen left on the

planet? LOL -- just joshing y'all!!

Very kind words indeed comparing me to the incomparable Spud.

Buts, I ain't educated enuff ta be kerfused wid da Spudnikki.

There's obviously a "Cream" theme (!) here, so I will enthusiastically recommend the DVD concert of their recent reunion tour: Cream, at Royal Albert Hall, Rhino DVD. This was a brief reunion series, recorded May 2-6, '05. I know some of our lucky forum members got to see their equally-brief Madison Square Garden concert series in September.

I was blown away by the quality of all aspects of this DVD: their musical ability, the DD5.1 recording, and the camera work and production. I saw it at a friend's home, who has a modest Klipsch setup (2.2s, 1.2s, Velodyne sub, Yamaha rec.), and was simply stunned. I have never been a tremendous Cream follower, but was quite familiar with most of their "hits." I was surprised to learn that they have not played together since they broke up in the late 60s, except for a very small number of special occasions, so this excellent record of this rare event was all the more special.

With only three instruments, it was so clear to hear who was doing what, yet the sound was always full, but with none of the usual "power trio filler" sounds (crashing chords or cymbal riding), an obvious testament to their superior musical skill. All three musicians were truly amazing. These guys are old, but they sure can play. Ginger Baker was a standout, as I now see why he has been endorsed on the "Best Drummers" thread of recent. Interestingly, I thought he looked like an aging Jack Palance. I found it funny that between songs he hawked the official tour T-shirts! He violated that unwritten "coolness rule" by wearing the t-shirt of the concert to the very same concert. [:)] Jack Bruce was also great; I did not realize that he was responsible for the lion's share of the vocals on their recordings. Clapton was, as usual, jawdropping in his guitar skill.

I recommend this DVD with greatest enthusiasm to anyone who has even the slightest interest in their music.

Great pick!

I must admit that the 2005 concert of Cream on DVD is their best work of all time.

The sound from the Cream 2005 concert DVD is fantastic as well.

Cream was always best live. There album of fame "Weels of Fire" was a live concert.

One interesting note here. Ginger Baker does not rehearse. The concert was done without any rehearsal. The concerts are really more of a jam session which is never played exactly the same. Toad while we hear the same segments in "Weels of Fire", "Ginger Baker's Air Force" the 2005 concert was still different. Still the speed at which Ginger Baker moves them drum sticks is something to behold.

When I first got the 2005 concert DVD I played toad so much I think everyone here knows the song beat by beat.

I do have the tea-shirts from the 2005 Cream concert!

Greg

There's obviously a "Cream" theme (!) here, so I will enthusiastically recommend the DVD concert of their recent reunion tour: Cream, at Royal Albert Hall, Rhino DVD. This was a brief reunion series, recorded May 2-6, '05. I know some of our lucky forum members got to see their equally-brief Madison Square Garden concert series in September.

I was blown away by the quality of all aspects of this DVD: their musical ability, the DD5.1 recording, and the camera work and production. I saw it at a friend's home, who has a modest Klipsch setup (2.2s, 1.2s, Velodyne sub, Yamaha rec.), and was simply stunned. I have never been a tremendous Cream follower, but was quite familiar with most of their "hits." I was surprised to learn that they have not played together since they broke up in the late 60s, except for a very small number of special occasions, so this excellent record of this rare event was all the more special.

With only three instruments, it was so clear to hear who was doing what, yet the sound was always full, but with none of the usual "power trio filler" sounds (crashing chords or cymbal riding), an obvious testament to their superior musical skill. All three musicians were truly amazing. These guys are old, but they sure can play. Ginger Baker was a standout, as I now see why he has been endorsed on the "Best Drummers" thread of recent. Interestingly, I thought he looked like an aging Jack Palance. I found it funny that between songs he hawked the official tour T-shirts! He violated that unwritten "coolness rule" by wearing the t-shirt of the concert to the very same concert. [:)] Jack Bruce was also great; I did not realize that he was responsible for the lion's share of the vocals on their recordings. Clapton was, as usual, jawdropping in his guitar skill.

I recommend this DVD with greatest enthusiasm to anyone who has even the slightest interest in their music.