Vinyl ....goes for a final Spin ....

Duke Spinner

With more 5.1 out there every day and DTS HD coming, I'm not putting any more into VINYL.

I will never own a 5.1 system or anything DTS HD.

I bought my first Television bigger than 13" about 10 years ago. Now I own a 27" TV. I guess I'll have to buy a new one when the standards change. I don't even have cable or sattelite TV--but I will get it again when the Sopranos new season starts airing--then I'll cancel it again when it's over.

I have no interest in Home Theater, Surround Sound, Concert DVDs, etc. I can't think of a bigger waste of time or money.

But RECORDS? They are my most prized possessions and I have gotten more enjoyment out of them than you can imagine.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy my HT gear, but not nearly as much as my 2 channel. 5.1 music ain't never gonna happen for me. I've tried it on the HT gear, but it sounds a little to artificial for me. Buy hey, if reproducing the 1812 cannons in your music is also your cup of tea, that special effects stuff might be what you are looking for.

As for vinyl vs. cd, that debate is beat to death and there is no more reason to rehash it here as there is to revisit set vs. pp (oddly, that debate might have been rendered moot since Jeff M. joined on!).

Oh well, I like jazz, I like SET, I like vinyl and you Led Zepplin bastards can listen to yer own damn systems.[:)]

You'll regret it, Duke. I got rid of all my vinyl a few years ago. Now I'm building it back up.

eddie .... this has been in the forefront, for quite some time

i don't see Ever going back ...

..........Most of what I listen to, is not on Vinyl ...it's live/ studio recordings

..........most of what i Might want to listen to, on Vinyl

.............sounds like crap

I enjoy my HT gear, but not nearly as much as my 2 channel. 5.1 music ain't never gonna happen for me. I've tried it on the HT gear, but it sounds a little to artificial for me. Buy hey, if reproducing the 1812 cannons in your music is also your cup of tea, that special effects stuff might be what you are looking for.

As for vinyl vs. cd, that debate is beat to death and there is no more reason to rehash it here as there is to revisit set vs. pp (oddly, that debate might have been rendered moot since Jeff M. joined on!).

Oh well, I like jazz, I like SET, I like vinyl and you Led Zepplin bastards can listen to yer own damn systems.[:)]

As a Led Zeppelin bastard, I still swear by vinyl. There is a lot out there that is not on CD, and what it is is tasty stuff. However, if enough people forsake vinyl again, maybe some of the insane prices will come down for the rest of us.

Now I own a 27" TV. I guess I'll have to buy a new one when the standards change. I don't even have cable or sattelite TV--but I will get it again when the Sopranos new season starts airing--then I'll cancel it again when it's over.

Ah Allan, the Sopranos sound much better in surround sound. I also have a 27" TV, but hey, it's a small room.

In my previous post, when I typed bastard, it came out ***. "You bastards."

Good for you Duke.

It all comes down to where your music is. If it is on CD - then that is the route to go, if it is on vinyl then - guess what....

I am kinda partial to classical and Opera. Most are available on both - but the range of performances on vinyl is still WAY larger than that on any digital medium.

Other than that - the art of buying low noise vinyl is not one that is easily mastered. All vinyl has some noise (surprisingly so do a number of CD's - I think much of it comes from the tape master and eliminating it tends to throw the baby out with the bathwater).

As to the ultimate quality of either - does it really matter? If the best music is on vinyl but if it is not music you like what is the point?

I can understand wanting to get the best out of your vinyl if you have an extensive collection, and putting the money into a really good TT and cartridge to do that makes sense to me.

On the other hand...

There's no question that CD's smoke vinyl when it comes to sound quality. Dynamic range, background noise, damage (ticks and pops on vinyl vs drop outs [rare] on CD's), wow and flutter, rumble... CD's simply sound a lot better than any record is ever going to sound. There's no possible argument about that.

So at what point do you draw the line between wanting to get the best possible, although comprimised, sound out of an existing vinyl collection vs buying everything over again on CD so you can get better sound?

Funny Ray!

"There's no question that CD's smoke vinyl when it comes to sound quality. Dynamic range, background noise, damage (ticks and pops on vinyl vs drop outs [rare] on CD's), wow and flutter, rumble... CD's simply sound a lot better than any record is ever going to sound. There's no possible argument about that."

Hillarious even!

There is no CD player/CD combo anywhere on earth that can touch a really well set up vinyl rig playing a decent quality record. With its limited sampling (which even the manufacturer's recognized) it just can't get there - it can get a lot closer than of yore - but no banana. You could argue a case for either DVDa or SACD - which do a lot better, but as they have such a limited number of titles available no-one wants to go there.

The populus at large have ignored the 2 higher end digital formats en-mass to the point that NEW vinyl outsells the titles of both combined.

Wow, flutter and rumble and things of the '70s that are notably absent from any half decent setup today.

The vast majority of CD's use a fraction of their POTENTIAL dynamic range and are compressed beyond the point that vinyl ever went.

I can understand wanting to get the best out of your vinyl if you have an extensive collection, and putting the money into a really good TT and cartridge to do that makes sense to me.

On the other hand...

There's no question that CD's smoke vinyl when it comes to sound quality. Dynamic range, background noise, damage (ticks and pops on vinyl vs drop outs [rare] on CD's), wow and flutter, rumble... CD's simply sound a lot better than any record is ever going to sound. There's no possible argument about that.

So at what point do you draw the line between wanting to get the best possible, although comprimised, sound out of an existing vinyl collection vs buying everything over again on CD so you can get better sound?

Your kidding, Right??????????

While Cds can sound OK, good even, I think a well recorded LP blows them away. I have some no expense spared demo lps for "Dyangroove" that while the music is dated (who cares, it is great music) the sonics, depth and width of the sound stage, instrument placement and faithful reproduction of the instruments just has no equal in the digital world.

Come on, guys. CD's sound a *LOT* better than records, unless the mastering process compromised the sound of the CD. Records have so many shortfalls that there's really no comparison. I suppose that you could find isolated instances where a record, for whatever reason, sounds better than the corresponding CD of the same performance, but by and large records are so inferior to CD's that there's no room to argue the point. While we might debate whether cables do or do not make a difference, or whether power conditioning does anything, or whether power cords impact the sound, or whether well designed amps sound different from each other, those are arguments that reasonable people can entertain. Whether CD's are superior to records, however, is such an obvious and uncontravertable fact that there's no room for argument. Records are a hideous medium compared to CD's. Noise, distortion, limited dynamic range - I can't imagine anyone seriously arguing that records can come close to CD's.

Granted, way back in the early to mid 80's a lot of CD's were mastered without an understanding of the medium, and their frequency response was mutilated pretty badly, but that's long behind us.

Arguing that records sound better than CD's is sort of like arguing that a 1963 Corvette Sting Ray is a better car than a 2006 Corvette. In it's time, it was a great car... but by any (*ANY*) objective measurement, the 2006 is simply so superior in every conceiveable sense that any comparison is ludicrous.