"Klipsch Sound Reproducer" on ebay...what the heck is it?

fletcherkane

Anyone here interested in this? I am considering to bid, would like to use as a "subwoofer" for modified 1977 Cornwalls. Any opinions on this set up, mods to Cornwall are simple, cabinets are inverted and raised 11" to get woofer closer to vocal performance height, in other words, voice sound coming from about standing performers level, with 511B horn/K55 on top of cabinet, and K77 vertical and centered between 511 and woofer, stock type B crossover. As is, this set up sounds really good with a more life-like image of performers as opposed to too close to the ground as the stock Cornwall, unfortunatly, some of the Cornwall bass is bit less due to woofer and port much higher off the ground. Thought is to use this K horn bass bin with a false corner, and setting in between the Cornwalls, CW's as is with there own amp, and a second amp to the K horn crossed at or below 200hz. Just looking to bring back some lost bass, and a bit lower. I really like the Corns as I have them set up, just needs a bit more, no boom though, just low and tight, suggestions/comments?

The vintage of this piece is neat, I would not modify other than maybe replace driver with K33E, maybe. Just touch up a bit and use as is (add false corner), maybe find/ build a mate (getting KD-2 plans) transfer Corn components and 511's to them ( store CW cabinets, or unless anyone has a pair of newer ( 60's-70's)K horn cabinets in similar condition that are stripped out and want to sell, let me know, interested.

For a subwoofer? That would seem a bit much. How about just a normal subwoofer?

I should not have said subwoofer, not really a fan of them, but rather LF horn as it is. Looking to bring back some bass lost by inverting and raising Cornwall cabinets, and go a bit lower also. Currently I am tuning by ear and basic theory plus guessing/trial error, may buy a meter to measure someday to see what kind of mess I have, but for now the CW's are sounding good. One Khorn bass bin should do what I am looking for, though as I said, may look for another as this, and restify.... restore the cabinets to original with newer/ upgraded components.

Anyone, is there much if any basic design/performance difference of this 1954 bin to a newer model? I am talking about the cabinet only, not driver/crossover, but the horn itself?

I am not into collectables for money value, but rather their usefullness or pleasure to own, would like to know if this piece is worth something as a collectable or just a piece of old equiptment with moderate interest? I am looking for a good usable bin and not looking to go into a bidding war over it because of the vintage, I can wait and look elswhere, comments?

Lost bid last seconds @$285, shipping is a bid killer here, sure is never any Klipsch anything in Ohio that we can pick up...... oh well. for $285 plus $140 shipping/crating I can build with the original KD-2 plans I Just recieved. Heck , $260 for new AA crossovers, that leaves $165 for plywood and finishing veneer, ( to build two cabinets + false corners), maybe this is a better thing, sure wanted that original 54 though.