guilty pleasures movies

oldtimer

I don't understand some of the choices on here,

some people are picking critically acclaimed movies and calling them

guilty pleasures. (LOTR, Star Wars, some of these actually ARE

award winners).

My Pick would be: A Night at the Roxbury.

I took the thread to be a favorite movie thread or a movies I like

thread, not a I shouldn't like these but do anyway thread. I guess the

last definition does best fit the title, sorry.

I don't understand some of the choices on here, some people are picking critically acclaimed movies and calling them guilty pleasures. (LOTR, Star Wars, some of these actually ARE award winners).

My Pick would be: A Night at the Roxbury.

I took the thread to be a favorite movie thread or a movies I like thread, not a I shouldn't like these but do anyway thread. I guess the last definition does best fit the title, sorry.

Yeah I kind of looked at it like comfort food movies

I don't know why so many of you are listing top-quality films that were big hits as "guilty pleasures." What we're talkng about here is those slinkers, stinkers and wannabees, box office bombs, or monster budget films made by people who should have known better.

A few of mine that immediately come to mind:

Strange Brew starring the Makenzie Brothers. Proves that the Canadian film industry isn't all good. Certainly the high point of several people's careers.

Dune directed by David Lynch. Between the Elephant Man and Blue Velvet, David decided to go on vacation and have absolutely nothing to do with film making. Dune is the result. Crap within Crap within Crap.

Battle Beyond the Stars by Roger Corman. Watch the credits and look at the people who did the space ship models and the music. God bless Roger, he has probably started more Hollywood greats than anyone else in history.

Team America Unrated Version by the South Park guys. Most likely George Bush's favorite Saturday Night at the Movies flick. Really gets Laura hot.

Explorers Joe Dante must have been a bit stung by criticisms that Gremlins had a mean streak, and Explorers was aimed a bit too far to the kiddie side of the street. But the saccharin script is saved by an amazing first performance by Ethan Hawke and one of Jerry Goldsmith's best scores. (Along with another Dante hit, The 'Burbs.)

Armageddon I know the credits say the Michael Bay directed this one, but it's a Jerry Bruckheimer stinker through and through. Lots of explosions, noise, expensive special effects. pricey stars, and not a single shred of intelligence, wit, class or scrap of respect for the audience. And yet I watch it again and again. Go figger.

I don't know why so many of you are listing top-quality films that were big hits as "guilty pleasures." What we're talkng about here is those slinkers, stinkers and wannabees, box office bombs, or monster budget films made by people who should have known better.

A few of mine that immediately come to mind:

Strange Brew starring the Makenzie Brothers. Proves that the Canadian film industry isn't all good. Certainly the high point of several people's careers.

Dune directed by David Lynch. Between the Elephant Man and Blue Velvet, David decided to go on vacation and have absolutely nothing to do with film making. Dune is the result. Crap within Crap within Crap.

Battle Beyond the Stars by Roger Corman. Watch the credits and look at the people who did the space ship models and the music. God bless Roger, he has probably started more Hollywood greats than anyone else in history.

Team America Unrated Version by the South Park guys. Most likely George Bush's favorite Saturday Night at the Movies flick. Really gets Laura hot.

Explorers Joe Dante must have been a bit stung by criticisms that Gremlins had a mean streak, and Explorers was aimed a bit too far to the kiddie side of the street. But the saccharin script is saved by an amazing first performance by Ethan Hawke and one of Jerry Goldsmith's best scores. (Along with another Dante hit, The 'Burbs.)

Armageddon I know the credits say the Michael Bay directed this one, but it's a Jerry Bruckheimer stinker through and through. Lots of explosions, noise, expensive special effects. pricey stars, and not a single shred of intelligence, wit, class or scrap of respect for the audience. And yet I watch it again and again. Go figger.

Man! You have a real talent for movie reviews!