Birch Wood Refinishing - Taking Suggestions (pics)

meagain

John Albright had his LaScalas done by a furniture dude in a beautiful

cherry finish. There are pics on the server somewhere, but who knows

the file names?

I should have bought his second pair while I had the chance (which weren't refinished!).

Bruce

Can't find any pics under ChrisK. Google just shows about 5 offerings.

Anyone know what John Albrights handle is?

(Sorry for this diss, but I don't understand how it's necessary to wait another month for the search engine to get running. I mean, this is Klipsch right? How much could it cost to ramp it up quicker? Surely this forum is helping generate sales. Even goldfish, etc. websites that generate zero profit wouldn't find this acceptable. Frustrating).

I never tried it, but I have been told there is no problem with re-staining over the old stain, so long as the new stain is as dark or darker. To re-stain the ones meagain showed would not require sanding out the old stain because (if it is tained) it is so light.

A concern that I would have is just the size of the speakers. LaScalas are very deep and would take up alot of space when you already have KHorns in the room (unless it was a very big room). I think Corns would work better because you can even raise them up off the ground if you want. I made some nice-looking stands for mine.

Before I went with anything, I'd first give Heresies a listen. They are so small, you could hang them high up near the ceiling - or even facing down off the ceiling. Heresies sounded good with Craig LeMay's set-up (Khorns, 1 LaScala Center and 4 Heresies).

Yes, the SN numbers are consecutive. IDK - I don't see this as natural character, I see it as a poor quality lumber. Not furniture grade. Not a fan of birch but it would be ok if they were clear.

I'm not a big Birch fan myself either.....but it is the natural graining. My decorator cornwalls have it, and I've yet to see a pair of La Scalas without it. That's not to say you can't find a veneered side that won't have it, but it is typical.

My birch cornwalls were finished in BLO, but I don't think I would have minded golden oak stain. Actually, the tungoil will have a similar affect. Good luck with your staining or which ever route you decide to take.

See YA!!

Gilbert - Thank you. This eases my mind a bit. It's sounding like I can slightly tone them with the various oils, etc. Maybe even that Watco stuff which I understand comes in some different tones besides natural. Maybe I could try natural with a hint of toned watco mixed in. I'm feeling better about this and I appreciate all your responses.