How to make a tv appear to be broke! must read

TIbor

Ok here is the problem I sold my 36 in hd toshiba tv(2yrs old paid 1800) to my friend. I gave it to him for 400 a steal three months ago. I hooked it up even using one of my monster hd cables. I have gotten 100 dollars so far for it in bits and pieces. I was hoping there was a way I could make the tv look broke and I would take it back as a good friend would do. Rather then being the repo man route. I thought about mayb switching the hd cables around and screwing up the color. He probably woudnt figure that out. Anything in the service menu or something like that I could do

Thanks

• Moderators

Have you just tried to talk to him about the money.

Any way it would look kind of strange that it broke after you went into the menu. There has been a few times i screwed up something in the menu that took me a couple of hours to figure out so i try to be careful.

The last time i had a problem it was trying to change a sat box from 540p to 1080i the screen would just go black with just the menu saying it was on 1080i. Then i remembered the installer said if i have any problems unplug the sat box for 2 minutes and when you plug it back in it will download any changes, it worked .

Why would he set it to 540p when i told him the tv was 1080i and i got the sat because i wanted HD.

If he is none to bright, switch the input to video 1 or 2, make sure nothing is plugged into video one/two and all he sees is a black screen. After about 15 minutes he will be angrier than a recently castrated goat. Another trick, pull the batteries out of the remote or pour a glass of water down the back of the set.

It is understandable that one has financial problems from time to time. If he cannot pay you on time, the right thing for him to do would be to return the TV. End of story. He says sorry, you shake hands, have a beer, listen to some musik on Klipsch speakers. Friendship is more importand than a damn TV. Lending money to friends is a difficult thing if things go sour. I would say you need to make a choice between your TV and your friend, but even if you decide to let him keep the TV without paying, there will always be a bad feeling. Yet, If he cannot figure out that the right thing to do is to pay you or return the TV, then maybe you need to find a new friend.

Trying to fool him into thinking that the TV is broken is also NOT the right thing to do! Be a man and tell him that you feel uncomfortable with the situation and let him come up with a solution, with a commitment from him. Make a clear deadline so it is very clear the he has renegged on his commitment if it falls thru. Dont let him make you feel like the bad guy!

Real men tell the truth and do the right thing. Real men are humble and say sorry when they do the wrong thing.

Oh, and real men also can drink beer and have fun with their buddies, but they don't make their wives clean up the mess.

Sorry if I sound like Dr. Phil. Maybe I should start a TV show called " Real men love Klipsch... and let other real men love Bose too"

Loaning money , and or selling something on credit to a friend can be a bad thing .

On the other hand, you have people out there like Sunburnwilly. I brought him an amplifier and told him just check it out, see if you like it and pay me whenever, no biggie. Well, Willy made every effort to pay me as soon as possible. It just depends on who you're dealing with.

My suggestion is to bow up and take the freakin TV from the loser.

sunburnwilly. It all depends on expectations. If I say pay me when you can, but in my mind I am expecting payment in a year, but my friend is thinking 5 years, and aftern a year he has not paid me a penny, but I see him with lots of new expensive gadgets, then i think I will be dissapointed that he had the cash to buy more toys, but not to pay me back anything. Yet, if after a year or so I see him still strugling financially, and he comes to me and says, "I will try to pay back in the next year, but if I cannot, then I will give you back the amp" then that is OK too.

I think that agreements amoung friends should also include some sort of open, honest discussion about terms. Just so that no one gets upset and the friendship is strained.

Ever heard of a Halloween party? Here's how it works: You dress up, go somewhere and have fun. It is apparent from your lack of a sense of humor that you might not have ever received an invite to one of those festive events. Let me be the first to extend an invite for you to come to our Halloween party this year. Come in any costume you want. We'll make it our goal to assure that you have some fun. However, can't guarantee that you won't see people dressed up in odder than I am on my avatar. By the way, mine is one of the tamer avatar's on the forum.