Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Hitachi MX6080EM Muli-system HI-FI VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

I think the pilot uses noise cancelation STAX Omega III headphones!The Omega III system will cancel any satanic words from Osama.

Osama uses gas propulsion,he eats beans and then takes off.No wonder the fighter jet has to use the afterburners to keep up!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Actually, after many discussions here on the forum (search under BS), most of us have concluded that for the best deep bass sub-woofer response, he should not be seated in front of the fighter jet.

Everybody here agrees that the proper position for the deepest bass response in an open air environment with a combustion fuel driven bass woofer chamber is to sit behind the chamber at a distance equal to least 50% of the length of the chamber. This is where one feels the best deep bass "burn"!

I don't think osma is using any tail lights either, a clear violation of Afghani air space, but he seems to be signaling a turn, if he does slow down, he will get a fighter jet up his butt!

cwm17.gif

------------------

HORNS & subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 10-21-2001 at 02:41 PM

Well, bass response from the engine might well suffer from the pilot being well displaced from it.

But the forward placement puts the pilot closer to the cannons, No? I'd call that a midrange issue. Always something to be considered.

Gil

Actually...OBL (in the photo) is in the perfect spot for....

LOI (live object ingestion). Smile.gif

But that would only lead to FOD (foreign object damage).

Which reminds me - if you ever get a chance, you should watch some bird strike video sometime. It's typically mono and won't show off your HT, but kinda funny nonetheless. You'd be surprised what happens to a 6 pound chicken when it hits a canopy at 400+ mph.

One thing is for sure, those F-16's use SS amps and not tubes. <ducking & running>

Sorry - working for an aircraft company will do this to you. :-/

Tom Adams

Hey, Tom,

just out of curiosity, what kind of wire do they use to connect the various sensors, digital whatnots and subsystems together in that aircraft? Is Boeing a believer in high end cables? Or do they just use some general contractors basic copper stuff?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ahhhhh yes....I feel the preverbial off-topic tangent coming on.... Smile.gif

Ray - I know you're trying to make a funny, but believe me, wiring (at times) is every bit as hotly contested/debated item as it is here. Everything from shielding to gauge thickness to termination to connectors...sheesh, I'm glad I don't have to deal with it (I work with aircraft systems -hydraulics, enviromental controls, etc.). Weight is always a big concern, so thinner gauge is always better except then it's more susceptible to breakage. And from what I've heard, pilots get a bit pissy when their display CRT's go <gulp> blank. Smile.gif Was in a meeting one time when they were arguing 22 vs. 24 gauge wire and one guy said, "Well hell, let's just go back to 12/3 romex then." To which some guy piped up and said, "Well, we'd certainly get the grounding hum outta the com system that way." The room cracked-up.

Another major area of concern is HIRF (high intensity radiated field). You know, when you're flying your $40 mil corporate jet over in the middle east and some SAM site radar lights-up your aircraft. Seems that all those fancy Honeywell flght control computers we use have an issue with HIRF. Yep, nothing like seeing four large cockpit disply CRT's go blank to get the pucker factor at 10. Therefore grounding and sheilding are pretty important so ground braid termination and "hardened" connector shells are used and closely tested. We use some fiber-optic cables, but not much. And lord help us if an on-board laptop or PS2 or VCR or flat screen TV craps out. Hell, the crapper could be clogged up, but don't have the global communication system take a dump (pun intended).

BTW, in flight our jets have an interior ambient noise level of a Lexus 430 at 60mph on a smooth road - I think the level we shoot for is 60db. The sound systems in these $30 to $40 mil aircraft are rarely high-end and use speakers like AudioVox and <cough, gag, choke, pah-toee> Bose. OTOH, I understand the guy who owns Peavy had a system in his aircraft that would thump with the best of the low-riding mini-pickups. Ahhhhh...what money won't buy. Smile.gif

Tom Adams

Actually, that was a serious question. I figured if there was any application where someone was going to go to great lengths to evaluate, under stringent test conditions, whether there was any variance in any aspects of performance between different geometries, conductor materials, termination methods or what have you, this seemed to be one of those applications...

But looking at your last paragraph, I have this sudden flashback to Apocolypse Now and am visualizing some hotshot in an F-16 playing the Ride of the Valkyries as they line up OBL in the crosshairs...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Tom and Ray,(oh God! The Click-n-Clack Brothers from National Public Radio? LOL)

In light of various birds being hurled into canopies, engines, etc. I once heard oa story of a foriegn gov't firing chickens into some canopies of planes they had purchased. They were horrified to find the bird not only sailing through the canopy but completely through the cockpit and taking out at least a few dozen rows of headrests in a commercial airliner. The new owners contacted the makers of the canopy "glass" and described their test with great detail. The only reply that came from the manufacturer was "Don't use frozen chickens." LOLOLOL

My brother told me about this a few years ago. He works General Electric in Evandale, Ohio testing cockpit controls so they stand up to real-life stresses.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

MAN!! That post was in bad need of editing. Smile.gif

This message has been edited by tblasing on 10-23-2001 at 03:52 PM

Just remember tblasing...you brought it up. Smile.gif

Yes, I heard that story of someone using frozen chickens, but not sure it's true. There's very specific criteria for bird strike tests (we're engineers afterall) and everyone knows you use dead birds that are not frozen. However, feathers are optional (no shite).

Typically for wing and tail surfaces, there is a so-called splitter behind the leading edge skin. The splitter is a flat piece of metal that is perpindicular to the leading edge skin. It's job is to aid in <ahem> dispersing the bird's energy. Otherwise the skin (aluminum) would have to be very thick.

For canopies, it's a combination of thickness, multiple layers and angle that's used to not only dissipate the bird's energy, but to deflect it as well.

And in case you're curious, the device that hurls these birds is an air cannon. Simple device really. Big huge air tank and a long steel barrel. Chicken goes in the breech, air is compressed, valve from tank to barrel whacked open and ka-BOOOM!! I think this is where the term smithereens came from.

We also do bird ingestion on engines. Here the engine must withstand the ingestion of a certain size bird without frag'ing the internals of the motor. Typically the bird goes in and you see virtually nothing come out. There's also a test to determine how many birds can be ingested (flow rate, if you will) before motor goes KA-PUT. I've not seen this test, but hear it's very <ahem> interesting.

Ok - back to work. Smile.gif

Tom Adams