This is just wrong

J.4knee

So I was in Costco last night and I wandered over to the wine section, They normally had a reasonable selection. They had the usual on display, SIMI, La Crema chards, A variety of Zins ..yadda yadda and as I turn the corner I see this Chateauneuf du Pape for I think around $18, I forget the actual price. I think to myself huh!?!?! So I look a little closer and notice it is <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Kirkland branded Chateauneuf du Pape. That is just so wrong!

Keeping in mind that this is coming from "El Cheapo" himself, it might not be wrong at all. For example, alot fo the store-branded alkaline batteries you see are the EXACT same batteries as made by Duracell or Eveready. The stores sub out production and packaging to the big names, who enclose the SAME high grade product in a generic package. It could be you are getting the EXACT same wine you would otherwise pay alot more for.

This topic was covered on a 60 minutes program not too long ago - or maybe it was 20/20.

Yeah but this is not a battery. The big difference is Vintners do not sell their best wines in cheap off brand labels. If a winery produces a quality wine they are going to sell it with a recognizable label. Not that inexpensive wine cannot be good, but I find it hard to accept a quality <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Rhone Valley wine branded by Kirkland that is like getting Sams Best Dom Perignon it just aint right.

I know what you're saying, but..... Let's suppose just an opening order to stock all the Costco's would be enough to make the company's ENTIRE YEAR. I'm sure they would happily put aside their egos for the bump in volume.

Wine is like batteries... are like toilet paper... is like macaroni and cheese.... are like cigarrettes.... are like wine. It doesn't matter what the label says, it's all about business. If it takes the label to satisfy you, then feed your ego. (I'm using "you" in the rhetorical sense, so no offense is intended). I'd venture to say there are many who could not tell which wine they liked better if they did a blind test.... or their answers would vary all across the board.

Sure, there are generics that are totally inferior. But there are those that are equal or even superior. Like anything, research often goes beyond examining labels. I'd not be offended at all by seeing "Kirkland" on a bottle of wine. I would even happily give it a try to see if I liked it.

I also would not lower my expectations and tell myself how "bad" it tasted since I knew I was drinking a wine that the vinyard bottled for Kirkland. I would give it a fair shot, and if I was all that concerned that I wouldn't be fair (due to my obsession with what's on the label), I'd blind test myself to see.

Don't get me wrong. Labels are important marketing tools. Nobody would buy the more expensive Lexus if it had a Toyota emblem on it - which it might as well have for obvious reasons.

I have always been wanting to open a restaurant that sold $40 cheeseburgers, etc. I think people would flock there in hoards just so they could tell their $40 cheeseburger stories to their friends. I even think I'd name the place "The Most Expensive Restaurant in Houston." Everyone would come in hoards, so long as the food was decent.

I.

Wine is like batteries... are like toilet paper... is like macaroni and cheese.... are like cigarrettes.... are like wine. It doesn't matter what the label says, it's all about business. .

Sure, there are generics that are totally inferior. But there are those that are equal or even superior. .

i think I'll look for a " Generic " divorice lawyer........

they're all alike anyways .....[:)]

I can't speak to this particular wine situation, but I am a big Costco fan mainly because they do not just offer cheap stuff. Their other products are typically very high in quality.

They are very high on the value meter. You know, the best you can get for a reasonable price.

Sound familiar?[:D]

So I was in Costco last night and I wandered over to the wine section, They normally had a reasonable selection. They had the usual on display, SIMI, La Crema chards, A variety of Zins ..yadda yadda and as I turn the corner I see this Chateauneuf du Pape for I think around $18, I forget the actual price. I think to myself huh!?!?! So I look a little closer and notice it is <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Kirkland branded Chateauneuf du Pape. That is just so wrong!

I don't know anything about Kirkland, but if the label says "appellation controlee" along with "produit de france" then it has to be the real deal. It might be the worst Chateauneuf you have ever had, but it has to be from there. $18 is not that far off from the low 20's to low 30's that you should expect from average examples from the region.

..I likes my Ripple ......Now axs me 'bout Thunderbird...

don't forget your Mad Dog 20/20

Mmmmm.....mmmmmmmm!

bot_5_c.jpgbot_5_m.jpgbot_5_n.jpgbot_5_t.jpgbot_5_w.jpg

A Cheap Wine Tutorial

Wine

Percent Alcohol

Fair Price*

Most Alcohol for the Money Ranking

1. Boone's Snow Berry Creek

5 %

$2.69

2. Boone's Strawberry Hill

7.5 %

$2.69

3. MD 20/20 Pink Grapefruit

13.5 %

$2.99

4. MD 20/20 Wild Berry

13.5 %

$2.99

5. MD 20/20 Red Grape Wine

18 %

$2.99

6. MD 20/20 Lightning Creek

17 %

$2.99

7. Thunderbird

18 %

$2.69

8. MD 20/20 Hawaiian Blue

7.5 %

$2.99

9. Wild Irish Rose Wine

18 %

$2.99

10. Night Train

18 %

$2.69

11. Wild Irish Rose White Label

12. Kirkland Chateauneuf du Pape

18 %

12%

$2.99

$19.99

Dead Last

Jim, you really need to rethink this. It appears T-Bird would clearly be the best choice for the Hope trip. [;)]

Mmmmm.....mmmmmmmm!

A Cheap Wine Tutorial

Wine

Percent Alcohol

Fair Price*

5 %

$2.69

7.5 %

$2.69

13.5 %

$2.99

4. MD 20/20 Wild Berry

13.5 %

$2.99

18 %

$2.99

17 %

$2.99

7. Thunderbird

18 %

$2.69

7.5 %

$2.99

9. Wild Irish Rose Wine

18 %

$2.99

10. Night Train

18 %

$2.69

18 %

12%

$2.99

$19.99

Dead Last

Most alcohol for the money? Dude, it is called "Buzz per dollar!", or BPD for short.

Piranha, I guess I don't know much about Thunderbird. I'm not much of a wine drinker...judging from my so-called wet bar, I don't know squat about wine (I do enjoy a glass of Reunite Lambrusco, a light bodied red).

BTW, the Seagrams V.O. is an unopened bottle from 1969...I can't bring myself to open it![:(]

post-11084-13819281278598_thumb.jpg

Mmmmm.....mmmmmmmm!

A Cheap Wine Tutorial

Wine

Percent Alcohol

Fair Price*

5 %

$2.69

7.5 %

$2.69

13.5 %

$2.99

4. MD 20/20 Wild Berry

13.5 %

$2.99

18 %

$2.99

17 %

$2.99

7. Thunderbird

18 %

$2.69

7.5 %

$2.99

9. Wild Irish Rose Wine

18 %

$2.99

10. Night Train

18 %

$2.69

18 %

12%

$2.99

$19.99

Dead Last

Jim, you really need to rethink this. It appears T-Bird would clearly be the best choice for the Hope trip. [;)]

What about TJ Swan Mellow Days and Easy Nights????? I like my wine like, I like my women ...ready to pass out!

b/d=absolute zero-----if you never open it!

I understand that. But it and all the others were bought when my folks used to host company Christmas parties at our house. For whatever reason the V.O. was never opened, and now it's over 37 years old (along with all the others that are each about a third full...my bro's and I don't even touch them; we buy new if we have parties here).[<:o)][D][8][^][G][+o(][|-)]