Klipsch vs Polk Audio (Upgrade time)

Yoeddy

Hey everyone,

So I currently have a Polk Audio speaker system that is around 8 years old...Polk RT16 mains, Polk RT12 rears, CS350 LS center, and a Klipsch SW12II. Driving the speakers is a Parasound AVC-2500u Pre/Pro with a 2205 (200 wpc x 5) amplifier.

Great system, but I'm thinking that as home theater has advanced over the years, it might be time to upgrade. I don't think I can do the Reference series due to my budget, but I am looking heavily into the Synergy series. The current Sub-12 seems to get great reviews, but would I be better off vs the SW12II that I currently have? The Polk system changed over to a F3 main and rears with the C3 center is where I was heading, but again, compared to my Polks, is that comparable or am I going backwards? I have PLENTY of horsepower with my Parasound setup, and I would sincerely appreciate everyone's honest opinions.

Cheers!

Before my present Klipsch set up I had Polk the 2000i,rt35 and I think

the center was a 400 or something like that.I recall I was never happy

with that setup and my local Klipsch dealer let me trade em' all in(at

a very fair price).I was flabbergasted at the difference the 7's

made.My older brother had some Cornwalls back in the day and it was the

best sounds I had heard since then.

My old system consisted of Polk RT1000p's, CS400, and small bookshelf

speakers (I also own the CS350). I don't think the Synergy setup

is much of an upgrade. The Reference however is

substantial. If you purchase soon, you could get some great

closeout deals. Why upgrade if you are going to upgrade soon to

get what you really want? Buy the reference and don't look back.

Interesting. So today's Synergy series would not make that much of a difference to my 8 year old Polk system? I pretty much figured the Reference series would be a no brainer upgrade, but I'm surprised that the Synergy wouldn't be much of anything. So what about the SW12II compared to today's Sub-12?

I'm not saying the synergies are krap at all. I'm saying the RF5s and RF7s are a substantial upgrade over the F3s, which they are. It doesn't mean the synergies are krap. But there are better speakers out there. If we say the THX set are a better upgrade than the synergies does that mean the synergies are terrible. NO. It means that the THX are better that's all.

I'm not saying the synergies are krap at all. I'm saying the RF5s and RF7s are a substantial upgrade over the F3s, which they are. It doesn't mean the synergies are krap. But there are better speakers out there. If we say the THX set are a better upgrade than the synergies does that mean the synergies are terrible. NO. It means that the THX are better that's all.

I said what I said cause it seems since I got them all I've been seeing is posts about the Reference being so much better then the Synergy and not to get the Synergy, well no kidding the Reference is better when all the comparable models cost like 2x more.

The current Synergy line is a bargin in my honest opinion.

The current synergy line is quite good, better than the synergies I started out with. But if RF7s are in the budget for someone it's no brainer to reccomend those over the F3s. Unfortunatly some people in audio can get snobbish. If you like your synergies then don't worry what someone else says.

I just wanted to 2nd the notion that the Synergy,for sure the upper end

sounds quite nice.They would be a substantial upgrade in my opinion,not

day and night,more like dusk till dawn.You know,like laid back in the

evening vs Wide awake and ready.

I would say get the new Synergy line up. I believe you will really enjoy it. They are drastically improved over the old Synergy line and the Sub 12 is light years improved over the previous Synergy subs. IMO the Reference still have a decided edge but the new Synergy closed that gap quite a bit. They are both a distinct step up over the Polk's. To me Polk's heyday was in the 80's, the newer Polk just don't do much for me. Of course I never felt the Polk Audio line up was on par with Klipsch to begin with.

I would say get the new Synergy line up. I believe you will really enjoy it. They are drastically improved over the old Synergy line and the Sub 12 is light years improved over the previous Synergy subs. IMO the Reference still have a decided edge but the new Synergy closed that gap quite a bit. They are both a distinct step up over the Polk's. To me Polk's heyday was in the 80's, the newer Polk just don't do much for me. Of course I never felt the Polk Audio line up was on par with Klipsch to begin with.

I couldn't have said it better myself, I too never really enjoyed anything from Polk.

Hi, while I can't give comparitive comments on the Polk to Synergy lines, the difference in subs would be negligible as they're both 12"s. Whereas going to a 15" or 18" could be a huge improvement. However I would wait and see what mains you end up with. The room dimensions could also dictate the size and power requirements for good LF reproduction.

Have you considered used, just to get into Reference?

The Synergy line is a great line of speakers in that price range. And would Certainly be an upgrade over the Polks. F-3 vs the RT16: 97db efficiency for the F-3 vs 90 for the RT's That alone is an impressinve upgrade. 7db. I've never been impressed with Polks, so Im biased, but I have always given them a chance. And for the money you can certainly find a better sounding speaker than Polks.

Hi, while I can't give comparitive comments on the Polk to Synergy lines, the difference in subs would be negligible as they're both 12"s. Whereas going to a 15" or 18" could be a huge improvement. However I would wait and see what mains you end up with. The room dimensions could also dictate the size and power requirements for good LF reproduction.

This couldn't be more wrong. Size of sub is not the determining factor

in how it sounds. Build quality of sub, enclosure, and amp are all

factors. An SVS PC Ultra or a Klipsch RSW 12 will be night and day better than a sw 12II, but

both are 12s. Sunfire true subs use 10" and 8 " drivers and they also are significantly better than a sw 12II.

I have read other discussions regarding technological differences between subs as time has moved on. I wish someone with an older Klipsch sub comparable to mine would read this thread and give some opinions. From what I understand the SW12II was an upper end sub, but I've also heard that the Sub-12 will go lower and much louder for HT compared to what I currently have.

I had a ksw12 then added a ksw15, then added a pc-ultra and a second pc-ultra.

I liked the ksw12 but added the ksw15, while the 15 definently put out more, I for some reason thought the ksw 12 sounded better. But the two together worked pretty well. Flash forward a couple years to present, I bought one pc-ultra, it was pretty much at least six times the sub of the two ksw's put together, low clean bass without any port noise like the ksw's had. You could always tell where the bass came from on the ksw's, the pc-ultra dissapeared into the room. When I added the second pc-ultra that's when the magic really happend. Two of these are like twenty ksw-12's.

IF I had too choose between the 12 or the 15ksw, the 15 wins. But the svs's are in a different race alltogether.