New Crossovers = New Improved Khorns!!! :)

meagain

So, we went on a bit of a spending spree recently (new CD player, etc) and part of this included ordering new crossovers from DeanG. I didn't tell hubby about this till they were in the house cuz while he knew we had to do 'something' with our '81 x-overs -was leaning towards switching caps. I leaned the other way (ramping up to a more foofoo type) and since I handle the money in the house (mostly his) so.... You know...

We had a bit of a delay with them because of a bad connection (long embarrasing story), but once we figured it out it was like - whoa.

I thought they would eliminate some harshness, and give a bit more detail in the mids. I had zero clue the change would be across the board, nor did I know what these speakers could really do (maybe I still don't cuz everyone says we have a crappy receiver), but there's music coming through that we never heard before. Certain things aren't irritating anymore, and everything is so clear. I didn't think the bass would be affected but I was wrong. What I thought was great bass is now insanely good. So much more tight & clean. It's so good in every aspect that it's sort of useless to try to describe other than we just plain have new speakers?

When I first came here, the first thing you all suggested was to get new x-overs. I should have done it immediately. My mind just couldn't imagine how important of a change they'd give me. Ooops!

Hubby went on a roll for a few hours with jazz, Miles, Susan Vega type stuff, horns (he plays sax, etc) and he started breathing different & kept blinking his eyes cuz he was getting verclempt. :) Kept saying 'amazing' 'superb'.

Dean also sent a 2nd pair for comparison. They were better than the old, but we instantly knew we'd be sending them back.

I should have done this sooner, but oh well. The new CD player upped the ante from there and now I wonder what a different amp can do, but thinking it would be a far subtler change than new x-overs afforded? IDK Everyone here has been right so far about stuff so maybe after a bit of a money rest, that will be the next project.

Jeff - It's true! [:P]

Glad to hear your loving the new toys and modifications done to them!

You have to be carefull with this hobby cause you can spend money fast and easy. So it sounds like you have everything to the point that you can live with the sound for at least a while.

I don't think I have seen anyone new to the forum that has jumped into this hobby so completely and has gotten a very nice system so quickly!

Have fun I'm looking forward to what you do next.

I think meagain is starting to purr!!! That is cool, I am happy for ya. I have been following your audio trek with interest and it looks like you are moving onward and upward at a rapid pace. It was kind of difficult for me to finally say, "this is good enough". But I haven't even really thought about upgrading anything in my system for quite a while. I have just been enjoying the music.

Here kitty, kitty, kitty!!![:D]

I sent her two sets of networks: A set of Super AA's with film and tin foils in the tweeter section and Erse Super Q steel laminates on the low pass -- and a very nicely built set of Type AA's with the GE oil cans on oiled and waxed poplar boards. With the exception of leaving out the zener diodes -- I built them exactly the way Bob does (most of the connections were done with a ratcheting crimper). They've actually had both networks for about two weeks. I wanted them both to take their time, enjoy the experience, and make a decision based on extended listening.

"Yes, I should send it out especially since it might take a bit to get it back. I just hate to spend more money right now. It's a psychological thing. "

Glad you are enjoying everything. K Horns w/ one of the three guru's networks and a Jolida. Get the Scott restored/improved by Craig - then chill out for a year!! You will have a sound that is so much better than almost any system out there in the general population. You will be able to take a break. You've earned it!

Chris

Thanks. Was listening a bit tonight and things are sounding so amazing. I almost think the crossovers got even better after a day or 2. They're pretty also.

It might take me a year to figure out how to upgrade things (maybe a tube preamp) and still have a remote. I was playing with the Scott last night and not having one was a big problem.