whats a really BASSY song?

MeeCrob

I am partial to the deep earth tones of Enya, the low growl of Robert Palmer's "Johnny & Mary" (Johnny's always running around, trying to find certainty ...) and the delicously brief but snappy bass solo in Paul Simon's Graceland CD.

A favorite track for bass that rumbles like James Earl Jones is number 12, Storms in Africa II, from Enya's Watermark (WEA Records 1988). On it, extremely low, almost sonorous, bass notes compliment a leisurely piano. The bass and piano contrast a short, rhythmic soprano chorus with sounds of thunder and lightning. Although old, this is one of the deepest music selections for bass. Her vocals float un-tethered, the deep earth low notes vibrate the furniture and the tinkling chimes deliver delicious contrasts. She is the modern new age/jazz composer of classical music. Her arrangements can send me into a warm Alpha funk.

Another one of my personal choices for bass tests remains Paul Simons Graceland CD with its vigorous African rhythms. In this CD, the folksy poet of the sixties, who transformed himself into the pop artist of the seventies, then did it again and transformed himself into a serious composer of worldwide music.

One song, in particular has a short bass riff, so brief, so tantalizing and yet so rich, that once I cheated on my own bass heavy system. I had a quick afternoon affair, with B&W 802s powered by Krell concrete blocks, just so I could hear the bass solo near the end of You Can Call Me Al.

The low, growling African bass opens the song. It is quickly plucked on a violin bass like Paul McCartney had; it bops along, setting the pace for Simons snappy lyrics (I can be your bodyguard I can be your long lost pal). Half a minute before the song closes, the bass does a fast, showy solo. I love it. And when I hear a new system, or make a new change, this is the bass line I want to hear.

One of Diana Kralls latest jazz CDs has been a revelation for me (Stepping Out, Justin Time 2000). I bought the original release last year and I thought it was good. I think all her stuff is good. It went into my limited collection along with a half dozen of her other discs. From there I rotated it from time to along with the others. Nice stuff. Great voice. Small band. Simple tunes. Classic smoky jazz cabaret material like Straighten Up and Fly Right (Cole/Mills) Body and Soul Green/Heyman/Sour/Eyton). But the new release is a revelation. It is very well recorded.

When the bassist draws a bow across his strings, it is like deep double Dutch choculate with hot fudge sauce - just too much of a good thing. When I listen, my soul hums with a peace and quiet like a country stream in sunshine and a smile rises up from inside me. If your audience has class, this is the piece to play them.

On the other hand, if your audience has the pedestrian American taste that makes billion dollar blockbuster movies, go for the terror inducing tremors of a stalking predator - play the Telarc "Jurassic Lunch". It has popular movie themes (classical orchestral pieces) and hokey, but knee wobbling, deep and impressive, T-Rex stomping and growling!

------------------

HORNS & subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

This message has been edited by Colin on 10-23-2001 at 09:45 AM

house of yes-yes at the house of blues

1.:opening song-fantastic!

2.:special 5.1 version of 'the ladder'(in 'extras' section of dvd) woofer poppin'bass at end!

------------------------------------------

3.:steppenwolf-'magic carpet ride'

------------------------------------------

4.:boston-'the journey'

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I'll be the first to admit that I never really got the notion to listen to music based on its clarity over its content-- 'cause I have listened to some of those 'test' type CDs that have music from various genres, each chosen to test some aspect of your system's sound reproduction, and I can do without. So, audiophile I guess I am not. Having said that, (and try to go easy on me, audiophile guys) there's a disc by French techno DJ Mr. Oizo that has some of the deepest bass outside of those pesky test CDs, or maybe an IASCA Bass setup disc. Tracks 2 and 10 particularly (monophonic **** and Inside the Kidney Machine, repectively). Say what you will in a derogatory fashion about synth bass-- but the guy asked for deep bass, and there you have it.

------------------

Dr. Isotope: Faster

than a speeding

moth.

The first disc I think of for demo quality bass is "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo", by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Specifically, the title track. It is absolutely the gnarliest bass I've ever heard. I think if a system can pass muster with this tune cranked up, then you're definitely in pretty good shape.

------------------

JDMcCall

Michael Jacksons "thriller" is really bassy. When the bass line kicks in at the very beginning it's scary! It's cool listening to the song get louder and louder building to what you think is going to be the high point and then BABOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM! This one tickles me in my privates! cwm32.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

19?? Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Onkyo TX-DS787 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Honestly, if you want to just get the deepest bass to test your system, NOTHING beats synthetic bass from various drum and bass cd's to different artists. Real bass just doesnt get that low. A few examples are portishead (almost every song), bjork (track 2: hyper ballad on Post album, track 1: Hunter on homogenic album)This is not even a subjective opinion. It's a fact. I have managed to distort the paradigm pw2200 and servo 15 on medium-high volumes with the hyper ballad track.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

I have to add my two cents here. If you want some seiously low bass(down to the single digit Hrz) check out the artist Lustmord. This isn't just boom bass this is some deep, resonating, make your house shake electroacoustic bass. He records natural chasms, volcanic activity & plates of the Earth grinding. Trust me it's more musical than it sounds. The ones to get are: Stalker-Robert Rich/Lustmord, The Monstrous Soul-Lustmord, The Place Where The Black Stars Hang-Lustmord, Metavoid-Lustmord & Heresy-Lusmord. This guy Brian Williams is a genius.

Eric

Yorx entertainment console(with 8-track & digital clock)

Realistic 6x9's

Skynnyrd tape

download the Janet Jackson song, Son of a Gun. There are two versions... one with Carley Simon (I think...) and one with Missy Elliot. The first one has better bass. Also, a good song is Caramel from City High.

for just a test... do a search for Bass Test 305. i have the cd, it is great.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

Donald Fagen's "Kamakiriad", it's very similar in style (with much lower bass) to the "Two Against Nature" disc that most everyone adores.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

Wes-

"Kamakiriad" is the title of the album (disc) and, well, Walter Becker did produce the album but I'm not sure if he performed on it. I think he did.

It's a rather neat album. It tells a story of a man who purchased the car of his dreams and some of the adventures he had driving it across the country.

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002MIY/qid=1005332280/sr=1- 2/ref=sr_1_3_2/104-8756073-2733545

and your very welcome.cwm35.gif

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany (Cornell Hotwired)

McIntosh C33 Preamp

McIntosh MVP-841 CD/DVD

Rotel RB-1080 Amp

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300mk II

Monster Video 2 (DVD to TV)

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000 Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

This message has been edited by tblasing on 11-09-2001 at 02:06 PM

Could not pass this one up. If you are into Pop Music - "Joy" by Issac Hayes, really bassy. If you are into Jazz - "SuperBass 2", by Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride. SuperBass 2 recorded live at the Blue Note, New York City, Dec 15-17, 2000.

Hold on to your speakers!

cwm11.gif