RF-82

GeorgeV

DrWho,

The season showed on SciFi that just wrapped with Christopher Eccelston as The Doctor was great, though he didn't get fired, he only riginally signed on for one season just to help get it re-launched.

Also, there are severalTom Baker episodes out on DVD (The 5 Doctors, Androids of Tara, Armegeddon Factor, Power of Kroll, Stones of Blood, Pyramids of Mars, just to name a few). But I am waiting on the

Doctor Who Megaset as well :) I heard it got delayed so they could attempt to restore more of the first few season's footage.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always listen to music flat, and usually

without a sub. It's not the lower frequencies I have issue with, it's

more the upper midrange area in certain types of music.. When

listening to Diana Krall (Jazz), the speakers sound amazing, almost

life like,

Diana Krall, now that is music that you can feel; try a little Mazzy

Star or Nina Simone to go with Ms. Krall and the only thing missing

will be a cold pint of Guinness. Although she is not a jazz

artist, I have to give honorable mention to Liz Phair too.

• 1 year later...

Hi all-

VERY late to this thread but I have comparison question. I am looking at an RF-35, and RF 82, and RF-7 and even a pair of RF-62. There are 2 dealers & a 2nd hand guy. I will be driving these with Outlaw 950 pre/pro and Outlaw 750 amp coupled with an RW10D sub. I may add the KG 3.2s as surrounds in the future but for now in the small room, 2.1 is what I am listening to- and 90% music. I love how clean and neutral the Outlaw gear is for the $$. I wanted to know which of the speakers above would you consider most neutral and a better match for the sub? I listen mostly to hard rock/metal but a considerable amount of acoustic, classical and a little jazz. With 165 watts per/ch and the sensitivity of these speakers all seem to be a offering plenty of volume- heck the KG 3.2 are plenty loud right now! I am after more clear mid range/low mid and presence (not harshness) in the upper register.

Before I beg to take any of these puppies home to hear I wanted to get some informed opinions and thanks so much for any advice!

well, i have the rf-7's along with 2 RW-12d's and i can tell you from experience, the 7's will most likely drown out the rw-10d. as they have 2x 10" mid bass drivers in them each. as for the sound with the outlaws... i have mine bi-amped with my outlaw mono's and the denon receiver... the outlaws power the midbass and the denon powers the horns.. it really makes a big differnce when you can seperate the two from one amp. IMO before i open my mouth for some foot action, what size room are we listening in?

at this point in time a very small room- 10 X 18 with open ends (e.g. stairway & opening to dinning room on one end & kitchen on other) which makes it effectively 10 X 30 with 12' vaulted ceiling. Now I expect this to get bigger (e.g. a house move) in the next year or two. FWIW, the RW 10D is barely running 1/2 power now in the room with the kg3.2s. thanks

i am running in a 22x13 on the long end, as well with open ends with kitchen... i went from the rb-81's to the rf-7 for my mains... i have also ventured through a LOT of other brands to get "THE" sound i was listening for.... i will tell you like i tell anyone else... "no one will ever see the footprint that the rf-7's will leave in my house!!!" they are there to stay... in your case, with the open ended room you have, you kinda run into the problem i had. my speakers seemed to have to work really TOO hard to get audible enough to enjoy. NOT with the rf-7's..... they receive power effortlessly... if i you can find a set of rf-7's i for a good price, dont hesitate. but if you have to budget, then look at it as an upgrade in the future.

i guess I should state that any "new" room will be more square as opposed to bigger. I would expect a 14 X 14 more or less. I have no probs with volume, 165 watts and a Klipsch "anything" should be good. I also have an opportunity for a pair of Monitor Audio rs6 in box. And the WAF - Decisions decisions....

Long time Klipsch lover and dealer here. I have RF-83's and RF-82's both as semi-permanent fixtures in my house for 2 channel. I have driven them with everything from a 35wpc monoblock, a Yamaha RX-Z1, some older Adcom gear, and the current piece I drive the RF-83's with is the M3 from NAD's Master Series.

Since the RF-7's and 83's are spiritual siblings, I would tell you that on my 83's I do not miss a sub at all. If you go with the 7's, move the sub to wherever the RB's are going. With 82's I would be more inclined to keep the sub an just have the crossover point adjusted pretty low, I would play with the 45-60hz range and see how it sounds. Obviously this would be easier with an RTA (Real-Time Analyzer), and if you lived near the Kansas City area I would be happy to come over and help, but I doubt that is the case.

My advice is without hearing the difference, I would go with the RF-7's for the right price. You can get a deal any day of the week on RF-82's, but RF-7's are getting rare. Great deals can also be had occasionally on RF-83's, but if the RF-7 price is right, go for it!

Kelsyn

I can't speak to the RF-7 because my wife cut off my budget before I got there. But, I do have the RF-82s paired with a RW-10 Sub and I can tell you it will fill a good sized room very well. I listen to an eclectic mix of music, from Celtic to 70's rock and 80's hair bands to blues. The combination sitting in a 20X21 foot room with 10 foot ceilings is amazing and everyone who hears it compliment the system on clarity.

When I was shopping a couple years ago, the RF-35 was still available and only one shop in the Dallas/Fort Worth area had the RF-82s on the floor at the time. Lucky for me, they had both and while I am no audiophile, I really think I could hear a small difference, the 82s were more crisp in the high tones. I don't think you will go wrong with either the 35's or the 82's but I would lean more towards the 82's.

thank you all so much for the advice! Great group. I think however in the end I am going to buy a pair of Monitor Audio RS6 int eh box new for a really good deal. I heard these once at a friend's neighbor's a few years ago and I was blown away by the detail. I'll let you know how that turns out. Thanks again!!

I have the RF-82s, RC-62 and RS-42s... To be honest with you, I am not impress on how they perform anymore. I am using a Onkyo 805 to drive all of them and in music mode, it was Ok and in movie mode it's a little better. Does anyone here have the exact same setup and please post your cross over setting as I would like to compare mine.

Here is how is mine setup currently:

RF-82s - 80Hz, RC-62 - 90Hz, and RS-42s - 100Hz. My LFE is set to 100Hz. That's the lowest I can go without it sound all muddy and unclean when I am listening music both in stereo mode and all channel stereo mode.

I am listening at about -20dB and I am justifying should I get an external amp (Emotiva or Outlaw) or just upgrade the speakers.

If someone has similar setup, please reply.

Thank you.

I would recommend setting all your crossovers to 80Hz. If your LFE sounds muddy with the crossover lower than 100Hz, then chances are you've got something not dialed in correctly. I would start by checking your subwoofer phase/polarity and all your speaker distance settings. Are you using the Audyssey setup thing? I would try some manual settings first.

I think I would try to get your settings sorted out before throwing new electronics at it. However, separate amplification will certainly help them RF-82's sound a lot better.

• Moderators

If your LFE sounds muddy with the crossover lower than 100Hz, then chances are you've got something not dialed in correctly.

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure how lowering the crossover would cause the sound to become muddy. If anything, it should clean it up a bit because it is removing information, not adding additional information.

In Stereo mode:

When I lower my RF-82 crossover setting to 70Hz or 60Hz, it will sound muddy. Currently at 80Hz, it sound OK. Shouldn't RF-82 at least be able to perform at 70Hz or 60Hz?

Maybe I just have high expectation of the RF-82.