I can't believe its already BBQ time

customsteve01

Yeah BBQ should be a year round treat!!

The heat from that sucker will keep you warm but you may need more wood than normal.

BBQ is a year round treat! I make a point of firing it up on the coldest day of the year, and the hottest too. For those not in the know, brisket is the ultimate challenge. Getting the smoke flavor in (the ring) is easy compared to keeping it tender. Most will tell you that around 18 hours is what it takes, but that is 18 hours of perfect temperature and constant attention. Done right you just can't stop eating it until you have to. I wish I could make a great brisket consistently with my primitive equipment, but the process is as much fun as the result, it takes a lot of beers you know.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the next thread should be "What is the best place to get BBQ in your area?"

That is one nice thing about living in Austin I can find a great BBQ joint nearby.

I haven't found any BBQ joint in and around my area (including toronto) that I'd consider great. maybe someone who's been to toronto or lives around here can suggest a few names?

Believe it or not, I was raised eating ribs with the following sauce recipe my mom found on the back of a Heinz Ketchup bottle in the 1950's and I still love it (with monifications, of course). The Heinz site still lists this recipe today:

Recipe

Recipe Name: Heinz Ketchup Basic Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons Heinz Vinegar
1/2 cup Heinz Tomato Ketchup
2 tablespoons Heinz Worcestershire Sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions:
In saucepan, combine all ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Brush ribs or chicken with sauce during last 10 minutes of grilling or broiling.
Makes about 3/4 cup of sauce.

Now for my modifcation: Make a double batch of the above (1-1/2 cups) and add just one drop (2 if you're nuts) of Dave's Insanity Sauce and stand back: FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

By the way...be extremely careful NOT to add the Dave's BEFORE you simmer! Otherwise, you will get to experience the pepper gas (tear gas) that jay481985 was talking about first hand when all of that capsaicin becomes airborne! I am totally serious! BTW: "capsaicin" is the correct spelling. It's compound is: C18H27NO3

Aha! Perfect thread for my question..... so today I was at the grocery store and saw that 1.6pounds of ribs were on sale for $6, say no more! And I was walking around for a sauce and picked up a bottled "chipotle sauce". My first try at making ribs, but man it turned out amazing! So tender, juicy and lathered in sauce.

So now that I have decided to make ribs a large part of my weekly student diet, I'm looking for recommendations for good sauce. I've never made any before, so I have no idea if theres a way to buy some store bought product and spice it up. And by the way, I LOVE anything hot and spicy. Me and my roomate are hot sauce freaks, although our collection doesn't compare to Picky's. Me and him go through a bottle of tobasco like a gas guzzlin' monster truck. He even purchased an ounce of this hot sauce called The Answer which cost him $68/ounce. That thing is supposedly like 1500 times hotter than tobasco, its tasty! Any recommendations for delicious rib sauce anyone? :D And also, any tips or tricks to cooking the ribs? I put them in a pot, add water bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 45mins. Then grill it on high for 10-15mins layering on the sauce and turning it often. Any tips to cook it better? Somebody should've convinced me to cook ribs earlier, I'm SO hooked after tonight. *still lickin' the fingers clean*

First, are you eating pork ribs or beef ribs????

For pork ribs, the first thing you need to do with them is REMOVE THE MEMBRANE FROM THE INSIDE SIDE!! I can't say it strongly enough. Use a blunt tool such as a philiphs screw driver to pry the membrane from the inside and use a rag to grab it and pull it off. Now, wash and dry your ribs. Next to make them tender, soak them in apple juice for at least 12 hours, 24 is better. Take them out of the apple juice and dry. Use your favorite rub on them and place in your smoker at about 250 deg F for about 3 hours. Baste them with apple juice and onions every 1/2 hour. They are done when they are tender but the meat is still on the bone. If the meat is pulling from the bone or the bones can be easily pulled from the meat, you have over cooked them. If you like BBQ sauce on them, only put it on for the last 1/2 hour of the cooking, you want it to just start to dry out the sauce but not carmilize the sugar in the sauce. Remove from the smoker and let rest for 10 min, then serve. ENJOY THOSE RIBS!

By the way...be extremely careful NOT to add the Dave's BEFORE you simmer! Otherwise, you will get to experience the pepper gas (tear gas) that jay481985 was talking about first hand when all of that capsaicin becomes airborne! I am totally serious! BTW: "capsaicin" is the correct spelling. It's compound is: C18H27NO3

I second Picky on that advise, been there done that and my nostrils were on fire.

If you are using a gas grill, not a smoker, do you have more than one burner? If so, turn on one that is at either side and put your meat on the OTHER side, this way you are turning your GRILL into an OVEN. Next, soak some apple or mesquite wood chips in water (or beer) for about 1/2 hour, drain the wood chips and place in a smoke box. If you don't have a smoke box, wrap them in foil loosely and place that over the burner that is lit. This will start the wood chips smoldering and releasing the smoke into the CLOSED grill.

You can also cook with a charcoal bbq grill, If you are using a Webber kettle, they sell a special grill that will let you add wood charcoal without removing your food. Regular bbq grills can be used by placing your wood charcoal at one end and your food at the other end. Use real CHUNK charcoal, not those pressed sawdust things they sell, like Kingsford etc.

Your goal is to keep the temp at about 250deg and get smoke from real wood charcoal or wood chips with a gas grill. If you need more space on the cooker, you can roll up the ribs, hold them with a string and cook them standing up, you will get several "rolls" in the same space as laying one rack of ribs out flat. Ofcourse, you can't use BBQ sauce this way.

I tried putting the woodchips in a foil, poking some holes and cooking meat indirectly on the bbq this summer. It turned out amazing. I've never tried it with ribs though, I should. We have 2 natural gas bbq's at my place, so that shouldn't be a problem. How much of a difference does it make if the chips were soaked in water or beer, is it that evident?

Along hte same lines, i also like a grilled salmon on a cedar woodplank... absolutely delicious flavour!

Here is a recipe for some Memphis style BBQ sauce to put on them ribs.I picked it up from a local while there checkin out the blues scene.

Memphis BBQ sauce:

5 oz dark soy sauce

23 oz tomato juice

5 oz worcestershire sauce

12 oz ketchup

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1 cup brown sugar

the juice from 1 lemon

1 t red pepper

1 t black pepper

1 t dry mustard

1/2 t garlic powder

1/2 t onion powder

1/2 t oregano

1/2 t allspice

1/2 t ginger

1/2 t basil

t=teaspoon

the 1 cup of cider is a liquid meas.

the 1 cup of brown sugar is a dry meas.

mix all ingrediants in a saucepan and simmer 1 hr,let stand several hrs before serving.makes 1/2 gal.

This will blow your socks off for flavor AND heat.Heat can be adjusted by adding to or reducing the red pepper and dry mustard.

Greg

In my Luhr Jensen Little Chief electric smoker I must use the wood chips dry (as is). I've found that if they are moistened or made wet (regardless of the substance) the resultant smoke from the wet chips makes the food taste rancid. So, I guess smoking with a non-charcoal or non-propane smoker like mine must be a bit different from what you other fellas experience. I get excellent results with dry chips.

Water/beer soak for wood chips. I have used a heavy dark beer when I used a gas grill, there is a subtle difference but one that I think most anyone can taste. Just another layer of flavor for the taste buds[;)]

Try using a combination of cola and green tea for braising and soaking woodchips . It adds a great flavor . I got the idea from Iron Chef Chen , from the Pork Battle episode . "He won"

Water/beer soak for wood chips. I have used a heavy dark beer when I used a gas grill, there is a subtle difference but one that I think most anyone can taste. Just another layer of flavor for the taste buds[;)]

Try using a combination of cola and green tea for braising and soaking woodchips . It adds a great flavor . I got the idea from Iron Chef Chen , from the Pork Battle episode . "He won"

thats a great show! I have to say, my fave is Sakai

This is a dry rub I use on darn near everything (except for the wife [6] ).

1 tablespoon cumin

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon granulated garlic

1 tablespoon granulated onion

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 tablespoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon white pepper

Tom

Well I had to come back to work today[:(], after 13 days off.

I made it thru another cookoff but boy it wiped me out this year, maybe I am just getting old...

caroline and I both forgot to pack the camara so I took a few with my phone (crappy photos) I will post a couple. Maybe next week I can post a few from previous years.

Here is the first just some of the 278 cases of beer.

post-16814-1381928390622_thumb.jpg