Cleaning Records

Piranha

Here's the simple, cheap and effective method I use: Get some microfiber towels from Costco (big pack, maybe 15 towels, like $10). lay the LP on two towels. Squirt a little cleaning solution (I'm using LAST) on the disc. Scrub using Disc Doctor brush. Rinse with clean water from my reverse osmosis tap (at the sink). Put the LP back on the towels, scrub again. Rinde again, shake off excess water. Lay LP back on towels. Pat dry with 3rd towel. Repeat on other side. Air dry. Works great. I see no need for a machine that spins and vacuums (for myself, that is).

Until I nut up and buy a VPI, I might use a method similar to this, or a Spin Clean. Can you reuse the microfiber towels?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Discwasher. Only because I've had mine for over 20 years.

I'm sure its' not the best, but it's quick and quiet. I keep an old TT (belt disconnected) handy to clean the next record while one is playing. The Zerostat gun is also cool.

Some day I should upgrade, I suppose.

Hey Seadog! I have also used the same method for 27 years. Many have commented that this system is bad, but my lps sound just as good as they always have. My brush wore out recently and I scored a NIB NOS brush on ebay to replace it. My set up is definitively not audiophile by any standard. Maybe someday I'll get some stuff like the real gung ho guys on the forum, but what the hey, you have to fight your battles one WAF at a time.

A few years back, Allan Songer posted an Excellent description of his

record cleaning regimen. (Sorry, can't figure out the search

engine to post a link[A].)

Anyhow, I use a Nitty Gritty 1.0 and put a lot of his recomendations to

use. If someone could find/post it I think it's quite useful info.

I know folks differ a lot on machines/fluids/methods, but I think we all

can agree that a clean record sounds much better than a dirty

one! Just find a method that fits your budget, and get to

cleaning. If you're into records, and especially into picking up

some used titles-a record cleaning setup of some sort is essential.

Paul

Piranha wrote:

"Unfortunately not. Does this mean I should just bypass this and the Spin Clean method?"

Nah, I'd just use distilled water. Put it in a clean plastic squeeze bottle with a tip like a mustard bottle. Y'know.

Piranha wrote: "Unfortunately not. Does this mean I should just bypass this and the Spin Clean method?" Nah, I'd just use distilled water. Put it in a clean plastic squeeze bottle with a tip like a mustard bottle. Y'know.

Gregg, thanks, I am going to try it before I pony up with a VPI.

Tom,

I am using the Spin Clean with the Costco Microfiber towels (yes they are washable just do them separately) and distilled water. I too will probably bone up for the VPI one day but not today but this method works very well. The distilled water is a must though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only downside though is the Spin Clean is friggin bright Yellow

Tom,

I am using the Spin Clean with the Costco Microfiber towels (yes they are washable just do them separately) and distilled water. I too will probably bone up for the VPI one day but not today but this method works very well. The distilled water is a must though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only downside though is the Spin Clean is friggin bright Yellow

Jim, yeah I don't care for that color either. I thought that neon bullsh!t went out in the 80's? Maybe I can find a used black one if I am lucky!

Does anyone know if Garage-A-Records has the best price if you go new?

• Moderators

http://www.tracertek.com/spin_clean.htm

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.garage-a-records.com/spin.html

If anyone is interested in the Spin Clean system, I have one I need to get rid of (wife bought me a VPI for XMAS). I cleaned less then 25 records with it, and purchased extra cleaning solution for it. I may be missing one of the two plastic rollers that the record rotates on (I would fire the maid but she is too good looking). If anyone is interested let me know and I will make one last hard ditch search for the roller, and if no luck, I will order another one from the Manuf.

Travis