Pair of K-400 Squawker horns for sale

solarcarl

I'm getting ready to do the cutting and pop in the 511Bs I got from Shawn and thats the point of no return so the old squawker horns( minus drivers) will be looking for a new home. This pair has the rope caulk added( it came in two colors so I got creative) Anyone interested, please make an offer. Carl

post-17977-1381928359877_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl,

Just a bad experience I had one time when I bought a set of Heresys that had been though a rope caulk nightmare. The previous owner had rope caulked the tweeter, midrange, and woofer. He did not quit there though. He even covered the entire crossover. The deed had been done many years earlier and the rope caulk had started to deteriorate and oil was dripping out of it all over the speaker.

I absoultely hate rope caulk in a speaker.

Bob Crites

Okay, I promise not to do that to your new tweeters. Actually just tonight I got some Dynamat and slapped a bit on the 511s. After playing with that stuff I went to Ebay and bought myself 50 sq ft of it( I'm going to soundproof my diesel delivery truck, before I go too deaf to appreciate your tweeters) Carl

Bob, he put that clay-doh all over the crossover! LMAO! No wonder you're against it. I thought all this time that the speaker was out in the sun, heated up and some oily goo dripped off the horn onto the crossover somehow! That is too rich.

btw, if anyone wants to do this (no disrespect Bob), you only have to go like 1/2 way up. They really don't ring on the throat area, just the outer portion of the bell.

The price for these probably won't exceed $50- that is what you can get brand new non-ringing composite K401's from Klipsch for.

Michael

btw, I did a true AB test with the rope caulk mod on my LSI 400 horns. Did one, reinstalled it. Listened to both (yes installed in thecabinet). The difference was pretty amazing at mid to upper volumes. Sorry Bob, but I'll keep on doing mine. Several others came over here and heard it themselves. It does work.

Michael

The horns sound different when they're damped, but it is difficult to understand why. If you remove one of these horns and set it down on the floor, and then tap on it with something solid it will certainly ring like a bell. But once you attach it to the motorboard there is no audible ringing whatsoever. When I did it with my Cornwalls I didn't notice a difference until I jacked the volume, where a reduction in distortion was readily apparent.

It's funny that PK would flash the BS button on this one because the reason Klipsch gave for the K-401 replacing the K-400 was "an audible reduction in distortion".

Michael,

Ask Trey what PWK did when the subject of rope caulk on the K-400 horn was brought up to him.

Bob

Sorry guys- read my post again. I had two LSI top bins. One K400 rope caulked, the other bare.

BOTH

WERE REINSTALLED IN THE CABINETS, you could thump the INSTALLED horn

and hear the 'ring' or 'thunk'. At mid to high volumes the damped ones

sounded much better.

It sounds better, I'll keep it. I really don't care what the old man did or said. I have ears. I think that Dean and DJK are agreeing with this???

Just another old wives tale, imho. Like Yamaha receivers sounding harsh.

Next real topic please.

Michael

Guys,

I used generic "Dynamat" on my Belle squawker horns (K500) back before I move to the Altec 511s and finally to the Trachorns. Let nobody deny there is a difference when the horn is damped. IT IS AUDABLE! One of my Trachorn test people did a similar damping job on a set of Altec 511s. They also heard an improvement.

AL K.

So how much for the horns? I plan to build a set of speakers for my

back porch and all that caulk might keep the salt from eating them.

Actuallly I 'm thinking of using a pair of 811's and hitting them

w/alodine. But if the price is right, a smaller horn would work! lol !