Used Heritage Market (especially Klipschorns)

meagain

I'm trying to glean an inkling of where the current used market stands for Heritage. Let's focus on Khorns.

When I first started down the heritage road searching out Cornwalls in ?? Nov/Dec, there seemed to be a plethora of Corns on Ebay. Verticals w/cane, etc. I found it interesting the Khorns were selling - If I recall, for around $1500-1800.

Then the infamous Walnuts in Michigan freekishly sold for $5,500. And as many suggested here - it WAS a bogus sale. Shortly after, prices understandably skyrocketed such as with a Chicago pair (bad pictures, aledgedly walnut but with a muddy, blotchy looking finish suggesting birch) going for $4100, etc. etc.

Then the scammers came out in droves to capitalize on the situation. This continues to this day. We also have a few buying high only for potential resale looking for big bucks.

My gut says this run is on the downturn & prices are starting to chill out. I'd like to know what the khorn market was about 6 months to a year ago. And has such spikes occurred before? Trying to glean where things stand & where to set my expectations as I'm looking for a pair.

When I was watching K'Horns it seemed that most were Walnut Oil with some Oak Oil thrown in and the occasional rare woods...Mahogany, Zebrawood etc...I saw prices from the low for "needs some help K'Horns" @ $1500 to "might want to upgrade/freshen the crossovers" @$2500...I haven't seen too many in the Chicagoland area come up and many members have bought and sold theirs but they have not been closeto Chicago...if you can get a truck, the market will start to move soon again...I felt the the way you do about Heresys...I NEVER saw them in the Chicagoland area, then I see them but used Birch Raw already stained going for over $500 is not my idea of a good deal...not when they probably need freshened crossovers and maybe some TLC...so many say "Heresys go for $300.00-$400.00...I just don't see that (once you throw in shipping) and I had a pair shipped that came slightly damaged and only slightly because the forumite I bought them from packed them SUPER protected...this is how bad the boxes were...anyway that and some damaged speakers from other sources that packed poorly and I cannot bring myself to buy and have them shipped...I think you will see the K'Horns selling in the "affordable" areas and sometimes a little TLC is not to hard to take...Klipsch's prices for parts are reasonable, BEC, DeanG, Popbumper, ALK and others seem reasonable for the amount of care and sound you get from their work...good hunting, if I see any, I will certainly let you know.

Bill

The market does seem to cycle some, and you should succeed with time.

I hope you luck out with a "B" style pair, as these will have a bookmatched (mirror-image) veneer rather than a random grain on the front and tops, and the more classic look with the insert between the top and bottom. That's what I suggest you hold out for.

Larry

This time of year people get tax refunds and feel compelled to blow that DI. Wait till summer and you won't be able to give khorns away. I have a ball watching Academies go for 700-800 this time of year and 350-400 in June to September.

Nice thread, I was wondering about these price fluctuations as well. So I suppose the best time to buy is usually in the summer? Is it also true for most audio equip on ebay? I've been thinking about a few upgrades since I'll get my tax return back soon. But is it advicable to hold out till the prices drop off, say around june?

Nice thread, I was wondering about these price fluctuations as well. So I suppose the best time to buy is usually in the summer? Is it also true for most audio equip on ebay? I've been thinking about a few upgrades since I'll get my tax return back soon. But is it advicable to hold out till the prices drop off, say around june?

I've noticed prices drop in the summer for the more common audio items. But anything that "has a name" and is in really good shape, will still sell high at anytime of year. Items like Mac tube gear, Marantz tube gear, Klipschorns, Cornwalls etc. not the beaters, but the well kept ones. The good stuff always sells well, since the people that like it most are too nerdy to be doing anything outside anyway[:D]

Well you've got annual market fluctuations and then regional availability variations. The "whatever" principle seems to dictate that after you've gotten something for a particular price that slew of the same damn thing shows up from nowhere right in your own backyard. Someone here should define some shipping instructions/standards for all the Heritage products so that at the least whenever the become available there's a ready to go reference on how to get them from point A to B. No I can't do it. I done my part just thinking it up...next...

With prices the way they are, and climbing higher, maybe it is time to bite the bullet,and buy new. Atleast you wouldn't be paying thousands of dollars for USED speakers 20, 25, even 30 years old, that of course are in "perfect shape".Before you guys jump on me, there are people out there that DO, have beautiful speakers, have seen many "to die for" on this forum, so the're out there. It's sort of like gasoline, we all ***** about the price, but in the end we buy it. I am searching for a speaker purchase, but will take my time. I don't want buy something because it's less expensive,(sounds better than cheaper). You almost have to try to buy locally because shipping would kill you on any big units Klipschorns, and La Scala's.Heresys, Cornwalls, those prices are driving up the price on the big units. Older Cornwalls were under priced, and have adjusted, but Heresy's are overpriced, and continue to climb. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

One reason to buy new is that they have the AK-4 crossover (AL-4 for La Scalas), which has been widely praised on the forum. A pair of AK-4 X-over kits costs $1,800(!), so IF one wants to factor that in, along with the included shipping, the cost difference, while still great, is at least less than at first view.

Larry