Just Picked Up Some K-horns!!

EVGuy

I wasn't in the market for K-Horns but my cousin called me to let me know a buddy of his had a pair he wanted to sell so I went to see them today. Possibly the cleanest pair of 87's you'll find, and the price was very right so I bought them. [:D] They have the AK-2 crossovers though which I know are not great but I have a pair of Bobs crossovers in my LaScalas, which I guess I'll be selling now, so Bob's crossovers will work well in K-Horns too right? I was only able to bring home the tops with me today but I'm making a trip back towards Chgo tomorrow for the rest of it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK the speakers.. the drivers are wonderful, congrats.....

The AK-2's are probably the WORST (Sorry to burst your bubble) liked of all of the Klipsch crossovers.. I had my AK-2's was never happy with them ever.. I still claim a defect. I upgraded to the AK 4 network.. (yes new mid drivers..new tweeters...and a MUCH better x over...) I am in heaven now.. But you do not need to go to this extreme at least at first. Before you know it, others will chime in, and you will have a Frankenstein version of your K horns. So take your time getting used to them to really know what, if anything, you might change too.

Live with the AK-2's For a while... By all means, Bob does a great job of getting to the original specs with is x overs.. And your right, send him an email quick to make sure, but I would bet your BEC custom X over might be fine, or with a minor tweak will be. Bob is a great addition to the forum here too.

Good luck, and congrats on your purchase!!!

CONGRATULATIONS, BERNIE!I

Other than the crossovers, are you thinking of doing any mods/upgrade to them?

Armando

Other than Bob's crossovers and his new tweeters, I don't know what other mods they would need. I want to get them set up tomorrow and really hear what they sound like. Unfortunately I don't have good corners to put them in but hopefully someday I will. (first requirement when buying my next house is it must have good corners)[;)]

Dave just made a great point. Yes, take off the side grills.

I already thought of that and brought them home with the tops. Thanks for the good advice though. I'll be driving in tomorrow with both of my suv's, with a second driver of course, to pick them up. Couldn't fit them both in one truck. Tommorrow will be busy but should end pretty nice.[Y]

"I'll be driving in tomorrow with both of my suv's, with a second driver of course, to pick them up. "

Hmm two drivers for 2 SUV's... Wow never thought of that!! hahahahaha (drive 2 miles.. Put in park. Go back to get the other one. Dive 2 miles..put in park.. Go get the other one.. LOL.. OK, being silly here, sorry...

Ah, you meant so he could help you physically lift a bottom of the K horn.

Got ya!! hahaha

Well it was a lot of work and it snowed all day during the drive in and back with the Khorns, but it was worth it. They sound great even with the AK-2 crossovers but I've already started switching one of the K77's with one of Bob's and one of the crossovers with one of Bob's AA/A in the A setting. I want to do a comparison before switching the second one.

One thing I noticed is that some of the Monster cables attached to the crossovers and drivers have turned green with corrosion inside the insulation. They'll all be removed anyhow but is that common for them to corrode like that?

Here's a few pictures of them. I know the room is too small and I don't have corners to put them in but if you knew what I paid for them, you would have bought them too and held on to them for the next house which will be bought to accomodate the speakers.

post-18334-13819283884092_thumb.jpg

Well it was a lot of work and it snowed all day during the drive in and back with the Khorns, but it was worth it. They sound great even with the AK-2 crossovers but I've already started switching one of the K77's with one of Bob's and one of the crossovers with one of Bob's AA/A in the A setting. I want to do a comparison before switching the second one.

One thing I noticed is that some of the Monster cables attached to the crossovers and drivers have turned green with corrosion inside the insulation. They'll all be removed anyhow but is that common for them to corrode like that?

Here's a few pictures of them. I know the room is too small and I don't have corners to put them in but if you knew what I paid for them, you would have bought them too and held on to them for the next house which will be bought to accomodate the speakers.

Congrats on the KHorns!!!

My AK-2 networks with Monster Wire had also turned green with corrosion and when I changed it out there was a very noticeable improvement in sound/clarity. I have also seen this before on other friends Khorns and even on some pictures posted on e-bay. I believe this is common on the older monster wired networks.

I also converted my AK-2 networks to AK-3 and definitly like it better in my current room and with that being said I could easily see where someone could prefer the AK-2 in a different room/furnishing enviroment. The main difference between the two networks is the squawker level is +2db louder on the AK-3 versus the AK-2 and some slight frequency changes in the crossover frequency transition region of the squawker/woofer.

Anyway enjoy the KHorns EVGuy!

mike[:)]

Very nice, Bernie!!!

Are they on the second floor also with the Georgians?

Thank you! No, these are on the main floor. The Georgians are still sitting unused on the second floor awaiting a room remodeling.

Probably the best part about owning all these large speakers is that I can actually play them as loud as I want to, since my house is surrounded by cornfields and I have no neighbors. [<:o)]

Bernie,

Very nice looking.

I have friends who live in Sandwich, just down the road from you. Even though another forum member is supposed to be sending me pics of his LaScalas for me to ponder buying (you reading this Bill?), send an email or post pics if you know what you will want for yours. I could be interested.

Bruce