Just Picked Up Some K-horns!!

EVGuy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh Bruce, is that a "Richard Cotten" 612 Taylor guitar in your avatar???

Nope, a customized 812C (has Rose inlay in peghead and Cindy inlays on the fretboard). I bought it used a few years ago. Right before Christmas. Owner of the store where I bought it was selling it to buy his son a 4 wheeler for Christmas. I only paid $1k for it. I'm sure the 4 wheeler is in pieces buy now. It's a sweet guitar.

Bruce

Whoa! Pretty. Those are birch? (scratching head)...

So how do they sound? Critique?

Yeah, they're BR which is Birch Raw? I think. Maybe someone can explain the codes Klipsch uses. They are KB-BR-L-F

So far they sound great. I have one in it's original state with the K77 tweeter and the AK-2 crossover and the other has one of Bob's new tweeters and one of Bob's crossovers. I'm still in the process of re-working the woofer hook-up. I cut a new piece of birch to replace the access doors because I don't want to alter the woofer crossover section in any way. Now I have to mount some bananna plugs on the new doors so I can hook up the woofers. Should be done by tomorrow then I can really test to see the improvements made by the new tweeter and crossover.

So far I am a happy man![:D]

K(lipschorn) B(model with riser) B(irch) R(aw) L(ow) F(requency)

I wish my Birch Raw "C" models (no riser..."D" is decorator...No "A" model)

looked that sweet...enjoy!

Bill

May be a stupid question but what does the Low Frequency (LF) represent?

They look much different than my Birch Raw "C" models but perhaps because they are the nicer "B" models they have a better grade of birch??? They don't look quite like anything else I have seen here but sometimes it is just the lighting in the pics.

Bill

The pictures make them look a little darker shade than they really are. What I liked about them when I first saw them is that they are a mirror image of each other with identical wood grain patterns.

I just looked at the tops and yes, the tops say H-F for high frequency.

I just looked real close and I see no indication that they are veneered. In fact, you can see where the stain ends next to the riser in the picture from behind. Can someone else post pics of their birch Khorns? I'd love to see what others look like.

My LaScalas are LS-BLS. What's that code stand for?

Many congrats EVG.

It is nice that one can get the stuff we dreamed of in youth, and they are still at the top of heap as far as performance.

Being out in the corn fields and being able to crank them brings to mind an episode.

I was at Tom Brennan's (forum member not quite so active now) place a couple of years ago. It was one of these things where there is a lot of good people babbling, but no one to talk to. So naturally you find a den with one or two good guys. Then there is a good story from the old days in the quiet, from one of the fellows seeking a similar haven.

The fellow, many years ago. was an aspiring engineer and in the typical stage door fashion, got a job by boyish good faith and being in the right place in the right time. Gee, Mr. Boss, you don't know me from Adam but I'm really sincere and devoted. At the time there was an opening. In a stage door way, he got the job.

But. The chief engineer of the company, probably a bit of a nut case (like us) had a place out in country. So the young lad was invited out there for a listen. I dare say that it must have been a grand farm country house at the edge of the city which is now displaced by the spreading urban blight. (Ahem).

The chief engineer had a pair of K-Horns. The narrator of the story said he didn't recall the amp. However, when the engineer cranked the system with the K-Horns, he thought the whole place might fall down.

Being out in the corn, he could do that.

Smile

Gil

No Jeff - It's not the picture quality, pixelation, etc. The pictures of his are very clear. Your picture of your birch only proved my point. Yours are one piece of wood. Look at the grain. Look at the sap? stain running up from the bottom.

His are not one slab of wood. His are veneered. Look at the bookmatch pattern. He probably has 4 sheets of vertical veneer on those to get that pattern.

Those are no standard raw birch like you see on yours & others khorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, etc.

And Bernie - How do they sound? And how do they sound compared to your other speakers?

(she says while secretly wishing Bernie doesn't like them)

Well, they sound great! The one with the K77 still in it with the AK-2 seems to have more pronounced highs than the one with Bob's tweeters and crossover but it's certainly more harsh and less real. They do have more bass than the LaScalas do even though I don't have them in corners.

I showed the pictures to one of my guys who works for me in the re-finishing shop and he agrees that they are veneered. He also stated they are bookmatched and showed me the repeated patterns. Now when I look closely at the edges, I do see a layer of veneer, although he did say it was birch veneer.

My next question is, did they not come this way from Klipsch? Did Klipsch only use solid woods and not veneer? If someone else veneered them, they did a great job.

On the LaScalas, what does the LS-BLS code mean?

Bernie - Sad to hear you like them. :)

Do the top plate & sides match the bottoms nicely?

I 'thought' I saw a pair somewhere that was birch veneer like yours but I'm not sure.

Maybe in '87? they did things differently? Maybe special ordered? Or - do you know the provenance of these?

LS-BLS..... birch lacquer. Either 'stained' or 'satin'? I "think" it means stained. Someone posted this same question but who can find anything with the darned search engine down? Do they have color to them? Are you going to post pics? :)