Just Picked Up Some K-horns!!

EVGuy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right, they are stained. Those are birch plywood and I can see the difference in the pattern how it does not repeat itself like the Khorns do. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me if the veneer was original because it sure is a great job.

The LaScalas do have color to them. Here's a link to a picture of one of them. I may have them sold but not sure yet.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3624586/1143406226480_SCALAS1.JPG

The guy I bought the Khorns from had just bought them a week ago from the original owner who bought them in 87. His wife said they were too big and would not let him keep them. I know the original owner's brother also had a pair but that's all I know about them so I can't say if he had them veneered or he bought them that way.

In the seventies when my khorns were built, Klipsch used baltic birch multy ply plywood for both the horn assembly and the facing. The front and tops being 3/4" the bass bin 1/2". The exposed edges showed the layers of the plywood and the front tops were not layed up with narrow bookmatched strips.

Those '87s are built with 3/4" woodcored birch veneer the same construction as walnut, oak or other veneers. The bass bins are constructed of 1/2" MDF in contrast to the earlier plywood.

Whoever put the finish on these did a fantastic job highlighting the usually subdued birch grain.