Visited Smilin' - VRDs and umm..... Cornwalls

meagain

What networks were you using? I agree... everyone is different... room makes a big difference too.

Mike

Stock AA's and then Dean's Type A Jensen PIO's

Tom,

Just curious did you ever try to set/adjust your squawker level with you crossovers? I love my (Now ALK'd La ScAlteCrites) but even stock I felt the mids were good but needed to be tamed a bit. Adjusting the squawker level made a big difference, then I have had to knock them down again when I switched to the 511b's.

I think something that needs to be said here is when we (meaning me) make unfavorable comments about a particular Klipsch speaker those comments are made comparatively against other Klipsch speakers we (meaning me) prefer. I do not submit that CW's are a bad speaker rather the opposite. They are a very good speaker but as Tom said just not my cup of tea. I prefer the sound of a horn loaded bass any day of the week.

The big advantage with the big fully horn loaded speakers is you can opt to "alter" them to your taste. That extra 5% of improvement is readily available and doable, whereas with the Heresy, CW's and other Klipsch speakers you are pretty much limited to a crossover tweak or you have to endure a PITA type of mod to "customize" the sound if you so choose.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My LaScalas have way tighter bass over the Cornwalls.

Mike - using the same gear on all these speakers. The gear isn't the factor cuz I have nice tight bass on the Khorns & Scalas. Boomy on the Cornwalls - and that's what's puzzling because I've not heard them having a rep for that.

That is cuz ya never spoke to me about it. [;)]

Trying to universalize these differences just results in a bunch of muck-a-muck. You haven't heard them with this amp.... You haven't heard them with this xover.... Your room is not optimal.... They sound better to me... I can't understand why they would because they didn't for me....

A light bulb went off today..... I really AM full of **it! [:P] (Actually, I always knew that!).

I was going to comment on Steve's ex Corn networks last night. Steve did not scrimp on those type Bs. The Jensen capacitors he had Dean install are among the best sounding caps in the world and are priced accordingly. It would cost hundreds to install Jensens in Dean's Junior network.

As an aside, did you notice the caps Mark D is using in the new pCat? The copper colored ones. They are Jensens and more expensive than the silver colored aluminum foilin oils. When I installed a set of Jensen copper caps to replace the Pyramids in my 300B amp, the difference was immediate across the range but most notibly in the bass.

"A light bulb went off today..... I really AM full of **it!"

Jeff, You are a lawyer, we knew that.[;)]

Well gotta go, I have to go see my lawyer.[:@]

Rick

But see, the gear doesn't matter because they were all tested with the same. Hence, it's a fair test.

I think a better test would be to swap between stock crossovers & these tweaked versions. Maybe these were designed to go nuts on the bass.

But see, the gear doesn't matter because they were all tested with the same. Hence, it's a fair test.

I think a better test would be to swap between stock crossovers & these tweaked versions. Maybe these were designed to go nuts on the bass.

It's a fair test... but an even fairer test would be to hear each side-by-side with the better amplification you just purchased... that's what I was getting at. I think with top notch gear the cream will rise to the top. YMMV.

Mike

Some of my early work. That's a stock Klipsch Type B network built with Jensen Paper in Oil capacitors and an Erse Super Q inductor for the woofer. Sounds pretty good doesn't it? I quit building with those capacitors because 1) Most couldn't afford them, and 2) many that could were scared off by the engineering types on the forum who said ol'e Deano had lost his mind. I mean, why would anyone in their right mind use such a lossy capacitor in their networks ( because they sound good?). There are about a half dozen different ways to cook up a good tasting steak, and believe what you want -- but it's the same way with these speakers. A network is a filter, and I can adjust the tone and sonic signature of my Klipschorns by changing the filter type, or even by changing the type of parts used in the same filter type. Lisa experienced this first hand last month as I sent her two different filters to compare. Now Lisa, ready for this? The network in those Cornwalls are of the same "Type" as the ones I sent you to compare to the "Cat Meows". Now sure, a Cornwall and a Klipschorn are different speakers, but they are part of the same "family", and speaking in a general way their sonic signatures are very much a like. So, with this in mind, let me make you this generous offer: Send me those networks and I'll be happy to upgrade those terribly measuring Jensen Paper in Oil capacitors with some nice super spec GE motor run cans!! I'll even do it for FREE!

To get tight bass out of the Cornwall placement is critical. Get them well away from the walls.

Well... what IS the best placement for Cornwalls? How far away from rear wall, etc? Maybe we can create a proper situation for them tonight and retest.

And - would speaker wire matter? Smilin lent us this weird hard red wire stuff.

Hubby says this wouldn't affect the bass quality.

Smilin - what is this stuff called anyway? I've never seen anything like it before.

Tis a game of inches -- and I'm not kidding.

At least two feet off the side walls. Start with a foot off the back wall and start "inching" forward. When I had mine everything fell into place when I got about a foot and a half off the rear wall.

Meagain,

I said the La Scala, not the Khorn. The Khorn sounds great in a big/huge room, imho. The La Scala has very tight bass, but it rolls off too early, so it tends to benefit from the room gain in the bass regions to kind of "balance it out." Scalas need a sub in a big room. The Scalas also have a tight dispersion pattern, which sounds better in a medium sized room to my own personal taste. Khorns have a huge frontal wave, wider dispersion, and a huge soundstage. Khorns and La Scalas have similarities, but are quite different from each other.

The Cornwalls have big bass from the ported cabinet which is deeper, but not as tight as the folded horns. The room gain from a smaller room coupled with the Cornwalls natural bass response tends to make the room boom. Cornwalls + room boom = boomy sound. In a large room the room gain is at lower frequencies and is more complementary to the bass response of the CWs.

The Cornwalls can sound excellent in small room, but room boom can be tricky to deal with.

Khorns have tight AND deep bass. The trade off is their huge size.

For their size Cornwalls are really incredible - especially in the right room.

Trying to universalize these differences just results in a bunch of muck-a-muck. You haven't heard them with this amp.... You haven't heard them with this xover.... Your room is not optimal.... They sound better to me... I can't understand why they would because they didn't for me....

A light bulb went off today..... I really AM full of **it! [:P] (Actually, I always knew that!).

LMAO! Good one Jeff!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mr. Parrot - The problem isn't with a horn apparently.

It's a woofer issue and it's sporadic. I was told it 'could' be a voice coil - that an issue with a voice coil can be a sporadic thing. But my gut says it's a wireing issue inside. The problem-child speaker has a capacitor dangling in mid air from the board, but the connections appear ok to that cap. Maybe a solder joint is weak or something. I have to play around with it. I've put the project on the back burner in favor of getting all these tubes setup.

The problem with the new VRDs and preamps is right after I put hubby on a plane to go out of town, I've been plaqued with various disasters.

Worm/Trojan on PC - tricky little bugger to get rid of.

Freekish plumbing problem. The mother of all sewer backups? Tubs/toilets backing up overflowing, water streaming through basement ceilings down light fixtures, etc. Started suddenly, then stopped. The amount of water was astounding.

Tree fell

Power went out for NINE hours. Nine hours of not being able to shop vac the carpet, dehumidify, run fans, heat, and prevent my house from becoming a biohazard.

I'm withholding my verdicts on everything till I can sit down, relax, & listen without being in a state of extreme agitation.