Exile on Main Street

bluesboy

One of my favorite rock and roll albums of all time is Exile on Main Street by the Rolling Stones. Back in the 70's I probably wore out three copies. Recently I picked up a RTI HQ-180 remastered premium vinyl pressing. It sounds terrible. I can't even listen to it. I'm listening to it on hybrid K-horn which have K-33 woofers, 511-b horns with 902 drivers, Beyma cp-25s and ALK networks. Why is it that Exile sounded better on our old Pioneer cassette decks driving around back in high school than on my big ole horns?

One of my favorite rock and roll albums of all time is Exile on Main Street by the Rolling Stones. Back in the 70's I probably wore out three copies. Recently I picked up a RTI HQ-180 remastered premium vinyl pressing. It sounds terrible. I can't even listen to it. I'm listening to it on hybrid K-horn which have K-33 woofers, 511-b horns with 902 drivers, Beyma cp-25s and ALK networks. Why is it that Exile sounded better on our old Pioneer cassette decks driving around back in high school than on my big ole horns?

Exile on Main Street was (is) a very raw sounding disc, when it was recorded. It drifted away from studio overproduction. I believe it was the first album recorded on their mobile studio, and done in the basement of a house. It does not have the polished sound the other albums had. Stripped down, raw, and whiskey soaked rock n' roll, no other Stones album sounds that way. I own it on cd, and it sounds good to me. With those K-horns it should really sound great,Sorry. I really don't care for vinyl, but seems like alot of you guys do, and that's good too.It doesn't matter what you listen to vinyl, or disc, what matters is that you LISTEN.

Thanks for the warning on Exile. I have a couple of 180 LP's that sound like dog sh#t. What a disappointment to pay a premium and have my old originals sound better. Some of those gold MFSL cd's are kind of crappy as well. It's hit and miss. Recently bought Queensryche Empire on MFSL CD and an original sealed LP. The LP smokes the CD.

Great record. One of the few Stones records I really dug all the way through. To be fair, I haven't heard a lot that isn't just radio rotation.

I bet early pressings of Exile that are in good shape are about as rare as some of the stuff Allan chases around.

Legend has it.... the original Exile was mistakenly transferred from the master tape to "whatever" at too slow of a speed. I'm no expert in the recording process but in other words, on the album as it came out, all the songs were slower than they were actually recorded. I've never bothered to investigate it any further than reading that somewhere. Could be full of it.

GENERALLY speaking there is no better sounding version of ANY recording than the original first pressing LP. Not always the case, to be sure, but usually true.

Agreed, depending on where it was pressed. Most rock lp's are way better if pressed in europe or japan. Pictures at an Exhibition MFSL is definitely an improvement over the original mass market though....

Funny you find Exile on Main Street bad sounding,

Many top recoding enginers list this album as one of the best sounding rock albums to date.I have to find a copy and give ity a listen through my old khorns to see how it sound on them.

I think a good freind has a orig copy.

Funny you find Exile on Main Street bad sounding,

Many top recoding enginers list this album as one of the best sounding rock albums to date.I have to find a copy and give it a listen through my old khorns to see how it sound on them.

I think a good friend has a orig copy.

This has been On my buy list for awile, but I am looking a orig mint pressing

WHAT? I HAVE HEARD THAT MANY RECORDING ENGINERS SAY BUY THE CD INSTEAD.

I don't feel it's a recording problem, if there is an issue, it's in the fact that expensive vinyl was used, and the buyer maybe disappointed in quality the of that sound. The songs don't change, the sound of the songs is what changed. I stated before; Exile is a raw,sort of in your face, type production, almost rude. No polish,no fluff, just whiskey soaked rock n' roll, some great songs, "Sweet Virginia","Shine a light","Tumblin' Dice", done by a great band.Nothing pretty about this album.

I might suggest these instead,(vinyl or cd)"Sticky Fingers","It's only Rock n' Roll",or "Some Girls", I'll bet you'll like them better, may not. I

think "Exile" sounds right to me, but what do I know, I'm old and probably half deaf anyway.

Vinyl LP'S, Compact Discs, doesn't matter; Just Listen, and always remember; "It's Only Rock and Roll",( and I like it!)