Midwest Gathering...

DrWho

Colterphoto1-Michael is fairly close by too..(20 min max?) He has a few Klipsch I do not have as well. I think I have some he does not. LOL. It is both crazy for sure our interest in all of this. So Reference, KG, "big ole" Heritage could all be heard.

We need to get him on board as well.

I went with Craig and Paul Parrot to the Midwest Audio-fest in Lima, Ohio a few years back. A real men's extravaganza for sure...LOL>. ( Maybe 2k guys.,.,,, 20 women if I am exaggerating too. LOL) It was a total geek fest (it is OK to say I was too..) I came out of it with some appreciation more than what I had but also laughing at a lot of them for really really taking things to the extreme and it still sounded awful!

Is this to try out different gear, and argue what is better vs something else???(countless hours of some obscure music at all levels.... (not that I would not be accommodating at all to a point. LOL) OR is this more of a get together hear 2-3 systems, and visit with each other too.. In a social setting.. (watch a few movies chat BS, maybe some good food n drinks too...... and have fun?) I am probably more comfortable with the latter as a social event.. I worked very very hard to get the speakers where I want them not to drag everything in and out all over again. That said... bring some other gear and there is plenty of room to hear yours here as well.

Let me know what your really thinking or want? This sounds like a fun event when it is a little warmer...

Colterphoto1-Michael is fairly close by too..(20 min max?) He has a few Klipsch I do not have as well. I think I have some he does not. LOL. It is both crazy for sure our interest in all of this. So Reference, KG, "big ole" Heritage could all be heard.

We need to get him on board as well.

I went with Craig and Paul Parrot to the Midwest Audio-fest in Lima, Ohio a few years back. A real men's extravaganza for sure...LOL>. ( Maybe 2k guys.,.,,, 20 women if I am exaggerating too. LOL) It was a total geek fest (it is OK to say I was too..) I came out of it with some appreciation more than what I had but also laughing at a lot of them for really really taking things to the extreme and it still sounded awful!

Is this to try out different gear, and argue what is better vs something else???(countless hours of some obscure music at all levels.... (not that I would not be accommodating at all to a point. LOL) OR is this more of a get together hear 2-3 systems, and visit with each other too.. In a social setting.. (watch a few movies chat BS, maybe some good food n drinks too...... and have fun?) I am probably more comfortable with the latter as a social event.. I worked very very hard to get the speakers where I want them not to drag everything in and out all over again. That said... bring some other gear and there is plenty of room to hear yours here as well.

Let me know what your really thinking or want? This sounds like a fun event when it is a little warmer...

Yes definitely a social gathering,have fun and BS a little.No competition, just an appreciation for someones idea of a music machine!!!

I am curious to see some of your mugs!

Greg

no worries, I'm keeping track of it all....it's all right here in this thread for me to reread at my leisure [;)]

It seems to me that we'll probably end up divided between the north and

south as we don't want the driving distances so long that everyone

needs to find places to stay overnite (which kinda defeats the purpose

of a local get together).

I think a meeting in Indy would be a blast and rather educational

too....there's Roger's dedicated setup and then Colter's speaker

playland. And then there is the Colter Comparator for instant volume

matched switching between up to 6 sources - I can think of so much fun

we can have with that thing.

And then a meeting further up north would be a blast too...one where

the wisconsin and chicagoland dudes can all get together. And perhaps a

few of the guys from western michigan?

The main purpose of the event(s) is mostly to get some face time in. I

have found that after meeting people in person that I read their posts

in a whole new light. Also, it is rather expensive to purchase all the

various kinds of equipment to try out in our own homes. And then it is

also a bit akward to invite yourself over to someone's house for a

chance to demo something - despite knowing that everyone loves to show

off their setups [;)] But more importantly, you get exposed to all

sorts of new music at these types of gatherings....and despite how good

our systems may be, it's all pointless unless you've got good source

material. And the hunt for new music is another one of those high risk

expensive parts of the hobby. The end goal will be to make these formal

meetings informal events. And who knows, maybe all you old farts might

get your wives interested in the hobby too...(last I checked, women

like social gatherings) [;)]

Ya know...there are some good malls in the chicagoland/indy areas....we

could totally send them off on shopping sprees...

Us forum members in the Milw WI area usualy get together a few times a year. Sometimes just to shoot pool and drink beer in Boomac's basement. I made a lot of long term friendships at our get togethers. I love meeting other forum members first hand. Once you meet Paul P or T Brennan in person, you will never read there posts the same way. I enjoy talking to people and getting to know them probably more than listing to systems.

You guys should try to get to the pilgramige in Hope this year too.

JM

I'd be up for anyplace J-malotky is so I can ask him about his center channel. :)

I'll have a get together sometime this year and if your available, you can hear, and experiance it for yourself. It even got a two thumbs up from die hards like Tom Brennan and Artto.

Heck, if you ever in the Milw area, drop me an email. I have had many forum members over who were traveling here or traveling through the area.

JM

I would love to attend one of these events, but my personal situation simply will not provide me with an opportunity in the near future. However, it seems like Audio Flynn hosted an event for the Michigan crowd not all that long ago. Wasn't that within the past year or so? I can also remember all of the praise for PaulParrot's system and the house he built around it[;)]. I would love to hear that setup.

Craig-I can't believe that I haven't called you to set up a time when I can visit your shop. I have had the itch to hear a tube amp for some time. Perhaps we can do this sometime soon...

Dr. Who-PM sent...

David

Hearing Paul's K-horns is what prompted me to buy mine.

I'll be at the AK Fest -- primarily to agitate Craig as much as possible.:)

Roger, how far apart to you and Michael live from each other? Maybe the gearheads over at Michael's, and the lovey dovey huggy crowd over at your place.:)

So how much does it cost to have a booth at the AKFest? I keep hearing about this show every year, but the admission fee (for just looking?!?) is way too high for this college budget. But if I could make some money while I was there... [;)]

15 dollars a day, or 20 for 2 days is too much Dr. Who?? WTF...

Help Craig a little unloading stuff and packing whats left back up. IMO if you help him spread the news about his room.. He might just FLOAT you a visitors pass IMO.. or pay ya 20 dollars for helping him set it all up!! (He is a college kid Craig help him out!)

Course.. That's my opinion.. You will have to ask Craig..

Well that's like 4 days of food....and then on top of it would be $50 of gas and if I do the 2 day thing I would have to find a place to stay. It's easily a $100 trip. I could finish purchasing my measurement equipment for that much.