Heat Shrink Tubing Question,...Help Please.

126mhz

I have constructed several pairs of speaker cables as well as power cables and have ordered many supplies for these projects from Parts Express.

BUT, I have yet to find heat shrink tubing like can be found on many of the power cables that can be bought complete. It's the heat shrink that will have a large enough diameter to go over the male and female socket, (over most of the socket except of course the prongs or female end that goes into your component or into the wall) AND shrink down small enough to enclose the cable as well.

I have tried 3:1 ratio tubing and if you buy a diameter large enough to go over the socket end it will not shrink down small enough to grab the cable as well,.......

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always,

Maybe I'm missing something.

I would think they put the heat shrink over the wire,

solder the connector to the wire,

pull the heat shrink over the wire end of the connector,

shrink the tube with heat.

I hope that is not insulting.

Gil

No insult to anyone intended. Maybe I should just sit down and shut up.

I've had to put various connectors on wires. Of course you have to put the shell or handle on the wire first. Then solder the connection, e.g. to a XLR or phone plug.

More than once, just as the solder cools, I see the shell sitting on the workbench.

You get one flub "free" in that there is not a real problem until you work on the other end of the wire. But I've mangaged it.

Smile.

Gil

• 4 years later...

No insult to anyone intended. Maybe I should just sit down and shut up.

I've had to put various connectors on wires. Of course you have to put the shell or handle on the wire first. Then solder the connection, e.g. to a XLR or phone plug.

More than once, just as the solder cools, I see the shell sitting on the workbench.

You get one flub "free" in that there is not a real problem until you work on the other end of the wire. But I've mangaged it.

Smile.

Gil

You spoke for us all on this one Gil.

What I do is install a smaller diameter HST over the wire/solder joint, this will increase the diameter of the wire portion and provide a bit more 'stiffener' or strain relieve at the wire/shell junction. This might be enough that the larger HST that fits over the connector shell might also shrink tight to it.

We use Fluorothem for all our heat exchanger needs. They have exceeded our expectations over and over again! The quality of the heat shrink tubing has pleasantly surprised everyone here. We always look for to doing business with Fluorothem.

Why would you look forward to doing business with a business you obviously work for?