thrift store score !!

oldenough

Hi all, day off today, so what better to do than hunt for vinyl at the thrift stores. one of my regular haunts usually has a regular supply of decent records, but today i definitly found more than i bargained for. This place do'snt do much in the way of electronics and they do'nt have anyone to test them anyway. but sitting in the storage area is a box full of electronics so i ask if i could take a look. No problem i'm told give us $75 take it home and look all you want. Well i've already spied a NAD reciever and turntable and can see the sides of a pair of speakers, so i part with the cash and wheel the box to my car and start loading. The speakers that had been un-identified till now turn out to be a totally mint and i mean MINT, pair of Klipsch kg4,s the reciever is a NAD 7155,. T/T is a NAD 5125 complete with Mission solitaire cartridge/stylus, and what a suprise hidden under all of this a Nakamichi Lx-5 cassette deck. Now i'm begining to feel a little guilty, so i pull myself together tell myself not to get excited, after all maybe none of this stuff works. 30 minutes later i'm home, another thirty minutes i feel even worse, everything works, and the speakers sound great. So tomorrow i will go back, and this time i'll see what vinyl they have, plus i'll take an envelope with a donation enclosed. Till then i'm gonna listen some more to these kg4's, first impression are that they could take the place of my rf5's!! Just one down side to this, that $75 was my beer and cigar money for this week.

.......Just one down side to this, that $75 was my beer and cigar money for this week.

I doubt you'll get oral cancer, stink up the place, or get drunk and fall down (bashing your head open) with your new purchase, so it seems like a very good trade-off to me. If you actually are spending $75 a week on beer and cigars, you should do everything you can to enjoy life in the little time you have left. [;)]

Excellent score! Nice move to make an extra donation. A lot of these thrift stores do good work with the money that comes in (of course, some have "volunteers" that filter out the good stuff for themselves, but hopefully that only happens in MY town...).

Old E

Hate to tell you this but my first response was to grind my teeth and cuss at your good luck. Chalk it up to Envy and Jealousy. I recovered quickly and was proud of you. Now, I am putting my jacket on and hitting all of the local thrift store haunts in search of magic. I am certain there are others who are similarly inspired. Nice touch on your part to take in a donation.

Thanx for the replies and the health warning. Seriously now i'm really knocked out by the find, especially the speakers.they are 1987, oiled walnut, consecutive numbers and they sound great. i'm no expert but they certainly have something that the rf5,s now seem to be lacking in ...bass, and they are not so harsh, much smoother.

How about some cigar facts........[;)] A cigar is defined as tobacco wrapped in tobacco. They can be filtered and as small as a cigarette using tobacco soaked paper but the typical cigar is unfiltered and larger than cigarettes. A large cigar takes about 1.5 hours to smoke and the ember cone burns hotter than cigarettes because of size and draw flux. Most cigar smokers do not inhale which saves their lungs from the worst of the tobacco ills, yet, they still have 3 X the rate of non-smokers for lung cancer. 2ndary cigar smoke is much worse than that of cigarettes because more tobacco is being burnt. How much more, did you ask? One large cigar is equivalent to a whole pack of cigarettes. The oral cavity is coated with cigar smoke and cigars have a special form of nicotine which crosses the mucous membranes of the oral cavity (unlike cigarettes that don't need it). So a single large cigar exposes the mouth to the equivalent of one pack of cigarettes, unfiltered, concentrated in the mouth in just 1.5 hours. The final butt end of that stogie is jam packed with toxins so the latter part of it's demise is really, really nasty. Well the oral cavity is also loaded with saliva and saliva gets swallowed. The rate for larygeal cancer for cigar smokers is 39 X that of non smokers and worse than for cigarettes.[:'(]

The up side is that your mouth gets examined for lesions during your twice annual dental check-up. But if they find any you lose a big chunk of your face until they can fix it using a big chunk from somewhere else on your body.

Colin.. that nakamichi has probably been the biggest eye opener, i have never owned what some may call an audiophile deck, and this is obviously all of that, i've never heard cassettes or recordings sound as good. I do'nt know how much use it will get, but it's a keeper, sure is a nice looking piece.