RF-7's - next step up?

zekey

Hi. I live in Adelaide, South Australia and I've been an avid reader (and occasional poster) on this forum for some years. Now I'm looking for some suggestions and ideas. I currently have RF-7's which i use with a TacT room correction preamp and the power amp section of a Musical Fidelity A308 integrated. The upgrade bug has struck and I can afford to spend a bit on better speakers. I've looked at a few over the past few months, but preferred the "liveness" of the Klipsch. But the obvious upgrade (heritage line) is not available to me as they are very rare downunder and I have some space and WAF constraints.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of efficient, live-sounding speakers with a "big" sound that are reasonably mainstream so they are likely to be available in Australia. I'm happy to spend up to about double the cost of the RF-7's - possibly more. What I really want is the good aspects of the RF-7's in a more refined, higher quality package. Maybe it doesn't exist? The aspect of the RF-7's that I would most like to improve on is the quality of the midrange, which is very important to me. Treble quality is also up there on the priorities. Perhaps I'm asking what other RF-7 owners aspire to so I can get a list of speakers that are worth hunting down and having a listen to (which could mean travelling interstate - Adelaide's a bit of an audio backwater) I heard some Verity Audio Sarastro's in Melbourne and loved them, but the price tag of $60,000.00 AUD ruled them out!

The Sonus Faber Cremonas are available locally at a reasonable price. Anyone had the chance to compare them to the RF-7's? Or perhaps I should stick with horns and try to have a listen to Avantgarde Duo's, which might run into WAF problems!

EDIT - Unfortunately, I have to take the Sonus Faber Cremonas off the shortlist. The local website I was looking at linked to the USA Sumiko site and I didn't realise this was happening. So, I was looking at prices in US$ and thinking AU$!

Well, if you still want to give Klipsch a shot you should check out the new RF-83, the new flagship of the Reference line.

Many people have said that it is a more refined sound than the RF-7. With three 8" woofers I would imagine that the midrange would be of slightly better clarity than the two 10" woofers on the RF-7.

I believe they retail around $2500 US.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=977

Posted Image

You could save money by updating the mediocre parts in the original crossover networks with much better parts and bring the RF-7's to another performance level instead of purchasing a whole new speaker. It does make an immediately discernable audible difference.

Not sure if DeanG ships internationally but you could ask him.

Your next step would be the fully horn loaded designs in the Heritage line.

You could save money by updating the mediocre parts in the original crossover networks with much better parts and bring the RF-7's to another performance level instead of purchasing a whole new speaker. It does make an immediately discernable audible difference.

Not sure if DeanG ships internationally but you could ask him.

Your next step would be the fully horn loaded designs in the Heritage line.

I sure would try the upgraded networks/crossovers before unloading the Rf7's if you would like to give them another chance.

If your considering the Avant Garde product I can't imagine that a heritage Klipsch would not be in the mix as well. Is Avante Garde more accessible and/or less costly down there? In the states you could by at least a Khorns and a half for a pair of duos and you won't need a separate sub-woofer. I've been more intrigued with the Avante Garde Solos. You won't even need amps, just a source and a pair of Solos.

You shocked me for a minute when you mentioned jumping from RF7s to Cremonas. That is about a 4X jump in price. I'm hoping to get up to those someday.

The hard part about leaving Klipsch is they really are a great bang for the buck speaker so you will need to double the price to move up. If live sound is what you desire then it will be difficult to recommend something else. Sonus Fabers have a different, very laid back sound in comparison to Klipsch. The Grand Piano Domus is closer pricewise at $4k a pair.

For efficiency you might want to try Silverline Sonata III's @93db but then you are back in the Cremona price range. The Sonatina might not give a big enough sound for you coming from RF7s but probably worth a listen.

Maybe check out some of the more efficient Tannoys.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and ideas.

To some extent, my post was symptomatic of "a rush of blood to the head". I had just seen the Sonus Fabers at a price that seemed too good to be true......and of course it was. They're not totally out of the question, but I'd need to love them to consider making the change. Similarly, a bit of price checking on the Avantgardes tells me I could only afford the "budget specials".

I'll keep a close eye on the RF-83's, which had slipped under my radar.....OK, I haven't been reading the forum as avidly just lately as at some times in the past! checking at my local Klipsch dealer (where I bought my RF-7's) reveals they are unlikely to stock them - they seem to be pushing the Energy Veritas range. Some other brands that I can listen to locally include B&W, JM labs, Sonique and Sonus Faber. A lot of speakers that could be right for me will involve an interstate trip (up to about 700 miles) to audition.

And the truth is that I hate auditioning speakers - like I hate test-driving cars. It's silly 'cos I love listening and driving. I just hate the decision-making process. I rarely seem to be able to get enough info from the listening session to be sure I'm making the right choice. Among other things the mood i'm in, whether I'm tired or hungry, the surroundings etc seem to have too much influence on the very subjective listening experience.

Occasionally I'm lucky enough to trip over something that's just right - as in the Apogee Centaurs I bought in the early 80's or the klipsch RF-3's I bought a few years ago and later upgraded to the RF-7's 'cos I could afford something bigger and better! I can't help having a sneaking feeling that the 3's were "righter for me" than the 7's - but I want to upgrade rather than downgrade.

So I really appreciate all your help in narrowing down the search and even making suggestions from left field. But Khorns aren't an option as I don't have useful corners in my listening room which is one corner of a 40 foot by 27 foot relatively open plan living area with split levels and raked ceilings.

Sorry if I'm raving on a bit, but I guess the more info I provide the more likely I am to get the sort of advice that will help me narrow the field and find my ideal without making a nuisance of myself on an extended basis in every hifi shop in Adelaide.

If I figure out how to post pics I'll include one that should show why the Khorns, Belles etc wouldn't fit the physical layout of the room.