New improved Universal ALK network Version 6

I see your point. However, you should know that I get OEM pricing from Solen, and I pass those savings on to my customers. I don't mark up the price of my parts, and I charge a flat labor fee for the build. So, though the back and forth across the border thing does inflate the price a bit, it's probably a wash for you Canadians. Maybe some of you should consider moving to the U.S. -- you'd save a few bucks on the networks.:) Seriously though, I'll keep what you're saying in mind.

"Matching like that yields a better stereo image becasue the insertion phase will be more equal between the two netwroks, left and right. It's left to right phase and amplitude that the brain uses to "compute" the direction a sound is coming from."

But some T/S paramenters vary as much as +/- 15%. Factor in what happens to Re and L after the voice coils heat up ... I guess you're right, reducing error in the one place we have control over just helps the whole deal I suppose.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm offended. No one on this forum has devoted more keystrokes to capacitors then me. Besides, the cap in the picture is +/-10%, and Al would never use it.:)

Well, this wouldn't be the first time I offended someone Dean [:D].

I think a better way of saying it is that you have provided solid practical use information on the sonic characteristics on many of the different types of capacitors (and inductors) in crossover networks used in Klipsch Heritage speakers.

In a nutshell you tried a whole lot of them, sorted out "the ballpark", reported back, and built networks recommending what sounded the best to you.

It worked perfectly for me.[:D]

You consistently steered me in the right direction, and I appreciated it.

There....

Meagin:

This topic has gone on for years.

If this is something that would be helpful to you, I'll see if there is room on the board I used for the type 'As' I made for a GE 2uf motor run oil and a Hovland Musicap of the same value. A couple of years ago, another forum member sent me the Hovlands as a gift for some work I had done for him, and I put them in my preamp. I'm not using the preamp now, so can use that cap in the crossovers.

I'll install a switch to enable switching between the Solen, the GE, and the Hovland. You can borrow these for awhile if you would like. I have enough parts around here to make another very doable network in the meantime.

Erik

Seriously? That would be facinating!

Meagin:

This topic has gone on for years.

If this is something that would be helpful to you, I'll see if there is room on the board I used for the type 'As' I made for a GE 2uf motor run oil and a Hovland Musicap of the same value. A couple of years ago, another forum member sent me the Hovlands as a gift for some work I had done for him, and I put them in my preamp. I'm not using the preamp now, so can use that cap in the crossovers.

I'll install a switch to enable switching between the Solen, the GE, and the Hovland. You can borrow these for awhile if you would like. I have enough parts around here to make another very doable network in the meantime.

Erik

Seriously? That would be facinating!

God help us all!!