Brand new Thorens TD-124 on ebay . . .

Allan Songer

True, it'd be sweet to own it! But I'm curious, it would have to be lubricated again due to it never being used in nearly 50 years (give or take a couple years). Since it's been lubed only once during manufacturing, are there parts that are maybe completely dried up and would have to be replaced since they've never been used? Not being familiar with this classic, I'd want to know if I was an interested buyer (which I'm not, unfortunantly...too broke)!

Is that a pretty good turntable, Mr. Allan? I see that you have one. Any idea what this will go for? And what makes this model so desireable?

Any recommendations on a new model for a growing vinylophile? Say 5 bills w/0 cartridge?

Michael

It's the best turntable of the era (sorry Garrard 301/401 fans!) and the build quality is unreal. Once you do a few simple things to them (new rubber, big heavy plinth) they are amazing--the TD124 is a really, really "musical" table for lack of a better word. I was a devoted Linnie until I got mine up and running--I will never go back.

I'll bet this one sells for between $1500 and $2000. Maybe more.

I think that the guys modding the old Lencos are having a ball for very little cash--you might want to go that route!

I set up a 401 for my friend Joel about 3-4 years ago. It's SWEET. He lives about 3-4 miles from me, so I get to hear it quite often. He's got a 9" Ortofon with an SPU (gee, I wonder where he got THAT idea) and a Fisher 500C with Cornwalls. I have told him about this forum but he calls us "Audio Geeks" or "Audio Monks" and thinks we're crazy.

We bought the 401 off of ebay from Australia and then had to get a 60 hz pully from the UK. I built a plinth out of maple similar to mine, but a bit wider and taller. With the arm and cartridge and plinth I think the rig was about $1000-$1100 all in. Pretty cheap.

The 401 has a bit more rumble than the 124, but it's still a kick-*** turntable.

I have never owned a 301 and have only heard one in a really nice system and that was several years ago. But it's really the same beast as the 401 in a prettier package (excluding the early "grease bearing" 301s that the Garrard nuts crave).

The 401 is still pretty cheap when compared with a 301 or a TD124.

Interesting reading on the 301 vs 401. Some Garrard people insist the 401 had better quality control, but the 301 is the legendary one nonetheless. And the plinth appears to be of vital importance, a make or break situation. These old turntables are an intriguing alternative to the modern players. I don't know which camp I'll ultimately join.

Tell you what--if I ever brought home one of those modern lucite tables my wife would think I had lost my mind! I find them to be agressively ugly, but it's all a matter of taste.

The TD-124 is a BEAUTIFUL piece of Swiss industrial design and is built like a tank. An engineering marvel really--there has never been a table like it before or since. with it's brilliant combonation of belt and idler drive.

Any woman who can't see that isn't for me!!!

I read elsewhere that they have no interest in dealing overseas. But I find it hard to believe that they couldn't be convinced.

Terry would be HAPPY to build a table for anyone! Just email him!

Garrard501.jpg

http://www.garrard501.com/

Warning--get out your wallet!

He also sells restored 301 and 401 tables, but those are really dear as well.