Brand new Thorens TD-124 on ebay . . .

Allan Songer

Well... some details would be nice. I will be upgrading my TT within a year or so, and am not sure what I am getting yet. I am figuring a budget of about $2k for TT/arm/cart. I currently have 2 Duals (a 721 I bought new in 78 w/a Shure V15 III and IV, and a CS-5000 w/Shure V15V-MR). These are the only 2 tables I have ever owned over the last 28 years so my experience is limited. I would imagine a lot has changed over the years. But then again, maybe not. [:D]

I am currently looking at the VPI Scout/JMW-9 with a Shelter cartridge, but that is not set in stone. I would like to hear the darn thing first. To be honest, I do like the look of the classic tables.

Mike

Sort of like asking "what makes a Mercedes 300SL so special?"

Good one......

Allan, what is the significance of the plinth? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having a massive plinth (i.e. heavy) as opposed to a relatively lighter one?

Sort of like asking "what makes a Mercedes 300SL so special?"

Good one......

Allan, what is the significance of the plinth? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having a massive plinth (i.e. heavy) as opposed to a relatively lighter one?

Some people swear by the original lightweight plinth. I love the looks of it but I don't know how it compares to a big heavy one. I'm going to have to try one of these SPU's Allan is talking about pretty soon.

post-15692-1381929534213_thumb.jpg

Allan,

I saw that one... amazing. I've been looking for one of the Grey Hammertone units with the Grease Bearing. Unfortunately the last two went for over $2200.

If anyones is looking to buy, it might be best to let the current "Thorens 124 and Garrard 301/401" market settle down a bit. The Koreans, Japanese and Chinese seemed to be especially worked up over these units right now. Heck they got me all worked up, I had to go dig my 301 out of storage and see what all the fuss is about.

PS. Did you notice the top of that box says "Please do NOT Throw or Drop". I love that.

Scott-- You think it'll settle down, or just plateau? They do seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days.

Fini,

I think they'll drop back down some from this level. There's one guy from Japan that keeps buying all my grey Garrards darnit. He's got 3 of them so I keep hoping he's got enough and wait for the next one.