Cornscala II

BEC

Obviously, all I've got to go by is what I hear. From what I can tell, everything sounds smooth and natural throughout the midrange. It definately has a more "real" sound to it than the K-600 did.

However, the K-33s are still overlapping the the K-55V by 200Hz, so that is probably squing things a bit. I still want to try rolling of the K-33s at 400Hz though to see how it sounds.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chops,

I will be interested to hear your take on the rolling off the woofer. I am generally happier with what I hear with it rolled off, but sometimes with certain music, I think I like it better with more overlap. I am thinking about perhaps dropping the cap back to perhaps 68 uF to see if I like it better there. That would still allow some overlap, but cut off the woofer a bit higher up.

By the way, there is NO reason to use a pricy cap for the roll off. A cheap nonpolorized like Klipsch uses in the later speakers if fine for this "trashcan" function.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=72

Bob Crites

Bob,

I could probably find some of those 100uF caps at Rat-Shack couldn't I? I just went looking around out in the garage, and the only caps we have out there about 40-50 years old!

BTW, did you ever get my email from this morning?

Charles

Charles,

Yes, I got it and will work up some numbers a bit later. Been out pulling in a load of trailers today. Got to support the audio habit someway.

Yeah, the shack should have something you can use. Get a working voltage of at least 100.

Bob

Someday when I'm out by RS, I'll stop by and pick a few of those caps. The only "new" caps we have out in the garage are still about a good 20 years old and are old 50uF-50V. I suppose running a couple of them in parallel would get me the 100uF, but would still only be effective up to 50V, right? Or would it be equal to 100V, like the power handling of drivers doubling when you wire them in parallel?

And whenever it's convenient for you with the number running for me. I just wanted to make sure you received the email alright. [;)]

Yeah, If I remember right, in parallel the capacitance would add and the working voltage stay the same. In series, the capacitance would halve (with equal value caps) and the WV would double.

Bob

Yeah, If I remember right, in parallel the capacitance would add and the working voltage stay the same. In series, the capacitance would halve (with equal value caps) and the WV would double.

Bob

So IOW, I shouldn't try it with these caps I have on hand then. No biggie.

Jordan,

I was doing some listening at high power again tonight. I have moved the woofer roll off cap to 68 uF and that seems to be about right. Checked that on the spectrum analyzer and it comes to a roll off starting at 437 hz.

I really need to get time to build the second Cornscala II now. Listening to this point has been in comparison to an original Cornwall. Need to hear two Cornscalas IIs together now.

The sound is significantly different from a Cornwall. Enough different that I think anyone would immediately hear that difference. The big midrange horn makes a difference and the different crossover frequencies make a difference, and the new tweeter makes a difference. I think the whole Cornscala package sounds very good. Now when I get the second one built, I will need to lure some local Klipsh nuts in for a listen.

Bob Crites

Jordan, I was doing some listening at high power again tonight. I have moved the woofer roll off cap to 68 uF and that seems to be about right. Checked that on the spectrum analyzer and it comes to a roll off starting at 437 hz. I really need to get time to build the second Cornscala II now. Listening to this point has been in comparison to an original Cornwall. Need to hear two Cornscalas IIs together now. The sound is significantly different from a Cornwall. Enough different that I think anyone would immediately hear that difference. The big midrange horn makes a difference and the different crossover frequencies make a difference, and the new tweeter makes a difference. I think the whole Cornscala package sounds very good. Now when I get the second one built, I will need to lure some local Klipsh nuts in for a listen. Bob Crites

Klipsh, sounds correct.

Need to hear two Cornscalas IIs together now.

The sound is significantly different from a Cornwall. Enough different that I think anyone would immediately hear that difference. The big midrange horn makes a difference and the different crossover frequencies make a difference, and the new tweeter makes a difference. I think the whole Cornscala package sounds very good. Now when I get the second one built, I will need to lure some local Klipsh nuts in for a listen.

Bob Crites

Hey Bob, the next time you're in my neighborhood, feel free to stop by for a spell. You can listen to my Cornscalas anytime. [:P]

There definately is a big difference. Everything is cleaner, more effortless, and just "real" sounding. I can hear very fine details that were just completely hidden before. I'm not talking about just hearing new instruments or noises either, but actually very slight changes in tones, or the attack, release and decay of certain notes, or the difference between an up-stroke and down-stroke of a bow on a string.

It's really amazing how little it costs to gain so much!